Amhrán na bhFiann

McSlaggart

"There won’t be a Championship match this year in football, hurling or camogie, at club or inter-county level, where it isn’t the last thing we do before the ball’s thrown in.

I’m a nationalist, proud to be Irish and that is the anthem I recognise as mine. But its only existing impact in the GAA is to be continually divisive.

The organisation was founded and built on certain ideals, but that was a century ago. And while it has remained much more pertinent in the north right up until the present day, there comes a time when we need to ask ourselves why we’re still doing this."

https://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2018/05/08/news/kicking-out-anthem-debate-places-sport-back-at-the-heart-of-the-divide-1323886/

I do not like the idea of the GAA dropping the national anthem as I cannot think of a suitable replacement. Ireland call drives me nuts...and I do not think a made up song would work? The question is what song or tune could the GAA replace it with?

I like this one.....

[video=youtube;gAjQrnImT_k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=gAjQrnImT_k[/video]

Niall996

Why can't they just start the bloody game. Who needs an anthem at club, county level. All Ireland final yes. And internationals (clue in the name international - between nations - nation symbolised by anthems).

tokkie

"There won’t be a Championship match this year in football, hurling or camogie, at club or inter-county level, where it isn’t the last thing we do before the ball’s thrown in.

I’m a nationalist, proud to be Irish and that is the anthem I recognise as mine. But its only existing impact in the GAA is to be continually divisive.

The organisation was founded and built on certain ideals, but that was a century ago. And while it has remained much more pertinent in the north right up until the present day, there comes a time when we need to ask ourselves why we’re still doing this."

https://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2018/05/08/news/kicking-out-anthem-debate-places-sport-back-at-the-heart-of-the-divide-1323886/

I do not like the idea of the GAA dropping the national anthem as I cannot think of a suitable replacement. Ireland call drives me nuts...and I do not think a made up song would work? The question is what song or tune could the GAA replace it with?

I like this one.....

[video=youtube;gAjQrnImT_k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=gAjQrnImT_k[/video]
Personally, I'd scrap all anthems at most, if not all sporting events. The Olympics might be one exception.

Just get on with the match.

runwiththewind

Unionist outreach in action ....

But as the GAA constitution points out, the purpose of the GAA is political.
It's not politics that pumps 64 million and growing into the GAA coffers annually.

McSlaggart

Why can't they just start the bloody game. Who needs an anthem at club, county level. All Ireland final yes. And internationals (clue in the name international - between nations - nation symbolised by anthems).
It provides an excellent bonding exercise at the start for everyone in the ground. A sense of a shared cultural event in the mist of total competition.

belfast1981

Indeed McS........EVEN PAINTING:lol:

Did they use Boris Johnson's hair as the paintbrush?

Anyway, I don't think anything should be changed, if they want to play the national anthem before sporting events, so be it. If I was at a GAA stadium I would stand out of respect for the Irish anthem, just like I would the British anthem at a Cup final or event. And just like I have for many other countries national anthem over the years at sports, shows, events etc.

Mickeymac

Did they use Boris Johnson's hair as the paintbrush?

Anyway, I don't think anything should be changed, if they want to play the national anthem before sporting events, so be it. If I was at a GAA stadium I would stand out of respect for the Irish anthem, just like I would the British anthem at a Cup final or event. And just like I have for many other countries national anthem over the years at sports, shows, events etc.

Foolish Bel to use anything belonging to that clown Johnson, anyways I agree that a change of anthem would create even more disquiet in sport there, especially soccer, just a pity the dopey IFA put their size 14's into this swamp again and resurfaced it all.

Niall996

It provides an excellent bonding exercise at the start for everyone in the ground. A sense of a shared cultural event in the mist of total competition.
It's not a state event of any sort. It's just a match. There are millions of great songs to play. It's a national anthem, not a club anthem or a regional anthem or a provincial anthem.

McSlaggart

It's not a state event of any sort. It's just a match. There are millions of great songs to play. It's a national anthem, not a club anthem or a regional anthem or a provincial anthem.
Its a normal part of many sports:

[video=youtube;pM67Uju9fg4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM67Uju9fg4[/video]

Niall996

Its a normal part of many sports:

[video=youtube;pM67Uju9fg4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM67Uju9fg4[/video]
That's the World Series. It's their ultimate sporting event along with the Super Bowl. It's a NATIONAL event. And just because the US President says, God Bless the United States of America at the end of nearly every speech down't mean we want Leo to start doing that same.

cricket

Sad thing is that most GAA players use the time spent in singing the national anthem as a chance to get in some last minute stretching exercises.
I think it should be played at All-Ireland finals only and teams should be heavily fined if they disrespect it.

McSlaggart

That's the World Series. It's their ultimate sporting event along with the Super Bowl. It's a NATIONAL event. And just because the US President says, God Bless the United States of America at the end of nearly every speech down't mean we want Leo to start doing that same.
What do you think some of the GAA sports are?

Niall996

What do you think some of the GAA sports are?
In post #2 I said fine for All Ireland finals. It's a national final, the final of the nation, the national anthem has a relevance.

McSlaggart

In post #2 I said fine for All Ireland finals. It's a national final, the final of the nation, the national anthem has a relevance.
That is a view which I would have no objection with but it still does not address the issue of national anthem and sport. For example I would expect all sports in Northern Ireland would stop using their national anthem.

We could have a wee ulster tune

[video=youtube;jtOjce6AVf4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtOjce6AVf4[/video]

cricket

Friend was involved in a team that qualified for the Féile finals up north a few years ago. Before one of the games his team and a local one were lined up and the national anthem was played over a loudspeaker attached to a car behind one goal which was right next to a roadway. As it was being played, a car with a few males drew up behind the goal. The locals recognised them as loyalist thugs from the area. When the anthem was over, an official from the local team roared at the guy in the car with the loudspeaker " play it again, except this time much f...ing louder ". He duly did as all those at the match gave it everything and the thugs withdrew.

cricket

That is a view which I would have no objection with but it still does not address the issue of national anthem and sport. For example I would expect all sports in Northern Ireland would stop using their national anthem.

We could have a wee ulster tune

[video=youtube;jtOjce6AVf4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtOjce6AVf4[/video]
That and the "march of the high kings" are two of the finest marching tunes in Irish music.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies