An Electoral Open Goal for Sinn Fein?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
It occurs to me with yet another announcement that there will be further 'over-run' on the new National Children's Hospital Project and Fine Gael's announcement that they will not offer coalition talks with Sinn Fein post the election, are Sinn Fein now free to call officially for a Public Inquiry into the project?

The text below is admittedly a post from the NCH issues threads, but my argument there is plain and I think not only is a clear case for a Public Inquiry but this could be a major opportunity for Sinn Fein heading into the election in a place where the government are already very much on the defensive, and of course with the control and supply arrangement between FG and FF there is a rare chance to put both of the heritage parties on trial in an election setting.

Rationale from NCH thread:

(a) We should not have been dealing with the owners of this site, for many reasons

(b) There are signs that the location was a political compromise rather than a logical place to put a national children's hospital.

(c) The current site is already a nonsense because of the hampered access to it by where it is, and of course it is a strange hospital these days that doesn't have emergency access on site for helicopters in critical cases.

(d) Now add on the 400% odd 'over-run' (which is not an 'over-run', it is a quadrupling of original cost estimates) which we are now being told could go even higher.

This one has all the hallmarks of 'old' Ireland politics on it. And it shows inevitably, as these things do, as an extra and swingeing cost to the taxpayer. There is enough in terms of the public interest to call for a Public Inquiry.

Sinn Fein, now that FG have announced they will not go into coalition with them in a post-election scenario, are quite free to go into the Oireachtas and put forward a cogent and coherent official demand for a Public Inquiry.

This puts them on the attack in the run up to the voting and damages FG if it becomes a live issue alongside the homelessness crisis and it is a direct hit on the public Health budget where FG and FF are actually weak, historically.

Sinn Fein surely won't miss this opportunity for a leg-up for them in this forthcoming election battle. They'd be mad not to use it. They could also use it to come to an agreement with Independents if they play their cards right and suddenly there is an effective strategy for them for this election looming out of the FFG mists.

Can anyone think of any reasons why this would be a negative move for SF? I can't.

ruserious

Lots of my family and friends are intending to vote SF for the first time. I think they will do well. EOD and PD need to be kept front and centre.

Dame_Enda

Looks like the hospital will cost €2.5 bn by the time its finished, according to radio reports yesterday.

shiel

It occurs to me with yet another announcement that there will be further 'over-run' on the new National Children's Hospital Project and Fine Gael's announcement that they will not offer coalition talks with Sinn Fein post the election, are Sinn Fein now free to call officially for a Public Inquiry into the project?

The text below is admittedly a post from the NCH issues threads, but my argument there is plain and I think not only is a clear case for a Public Inquiry but this could be a major opportunity for Sinn Fein heading into the election in a place where the government are already very much on the defensive, and of course with the control and supply arrangement between FG and FF there is a rare chance to put both of the heritage parties on trial in an election setting.

Rationale from NCH thread:

(a) We should not have been dealing with the owners of this site, for many reasons

(b) There are signs that the location was a political compromise rather than a logical place to put a national children's hospital.

(c) The current site is already a nonsense because of the hampered access to it by where it is, and of course it is a strange hospital these days that doesn't have emergency access on site for helicopters in critical cases.

(d) Now add on the 400% odd 'over-run' (which is not an 'over-run', it is a quadrupling of original cost estimates) which we are now being told could go even higher.

This one has all the hallmarks of 'old' Ireland politics on it. And it shows inevitably, as these things do, as an extra and swingeing cost to the taxpayer. There is enough in terms of the public interest to call for a Public Inquiry.

Sinn Fein, now that FG have announced they will not go into coalition with them in a post-election scenario, are quite free to go into the Oireachtas and put forward a cogent and coherent official demand for a Public Inquiry.

This puts them on the attack in the run up to the voting and damages FG if it becomes a live issue alongside the homelessness crisis and it is a direct hit on the public Health budget where FG and FF are actually weak, historically.

Sinn Fein surely won't miss this opportunity for a leg-up for them in this forthcoming election battle. They'd be mad not to use it. They could also use it to come to an agreement with Independents if they play their cards right and suddenly there is an effective strategy for them for this election looming out of the FFG mists.

Can anyone think of any reasons why this would be a negative move for SF? I can't.
Well the Irish people can elect a left wing government headed by Sinn Fein.

They can also return the people who increased government expenditure from 19bn to 103bn and bankrupt the country.

Or they can re-elect the present crowd and put up with the Children's hospital.

Democratic choice.

MVOR

Lots of my family and friends are intending to vote SF for the first time. I think they will do well. EOD and PD need to be kept front and centre.
I’m finding the same that many who voted religiously for their party, some Fine Gael and some Fianna Fáil are angry with what‘s been going on and are intending to vote for Sinn Fein with a few for Independents.

james toney

€2.5 Billion for a children's hospital???
In a normal country the Police would be called in immediately, arrests made, corruption thoroughly investigated...the finance and costs investigated.....and the decision makers held accountable.
Watch as another bogus inquiry is set up.....millions more made by the rich as a result...and the report whitewashed and forgotten about.
People vote for these corrupt bastards?

AyaanMyHero

In a normal country the Police would be called in immediately, arrests made, corruption thoroughly investigated...the finance and costs investigated.....and the decision makers held accountable.
Watch as another bogus inquiry is set up.....millions more made by the rich as a result...and the report whitewashed and forgotten about.
Where is the data to show this hospital development is over-priced due to corruption ?

From what I have heard already, it is reasonable to put the increasing costs down to incompetence but please focus on the corruption charge. Where is the evidence ?

McTell

Twitter
No
I//

Yes. While the childrens hospital budget is out to lunch in every respect, SF want us to subsidise the 6 counties by €12,000,000,000 a year.

All the parties have some baloola uncosted huge its-my-dream unfeasible plans.

Baron von Biffo

When even a committed SF supporter is tacitly admitting that the party leader is a liability it suggests that they won't do well.

There's a limit to how much a party can do to keep a poor leader out of sight during an election and for SF that limit will be reached on Monday night when the 7-way debate is held on RTE.

brughahaha

While that's true it still doesn't make them a viable alternative to FG/FF.
FG and FF having ruled out coalition with SF will have the option of supply and confidence or a formal coalition (Its highly unlikely either will get enough seats to use Independents).

That makes SF the opposition

And in the next election ................

MVOR

FG and FF having ruled out coalition with SF will have the option of supply and confidence or a formal coalition (Its highly unlikely either will get enough seats to use Independents).

You’re wasting your time. Baron and Shiel both think Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil are perfect and will dictate to this country together forever.

While we won’t get the change that’s needed in this election, I have no doubt that the people of Ireland are finally seeing the light and we will get the opportunity to dethrone them at the next election. Following that Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil will merge into one party and be consigned to opposition for the foreseeable future.

mangaire2

When even a committed SF supporter is tacitly admitting that the party leader is a liability it suggests that they won't do well.

There's a limit to how much a party can do to keep a poor leader out of sight during an election and for SF that limit will be reached on Monday night when the 7-way debate is held on RTE.
Gerry Adam was considered by the enemies of SF, & indeed by some SF supporters as a "liability" as a leader,
yet under his leadership SF's representation in the Dáil rose by several hundred %.

Uganda

Imagine spending 4 weeks social welfare on a hospital!

Baron von Biffo

It seems to have escaped your notice that since 2016 FG and FF have has a C&S deal and SF is in opposition.

That hasn't worked out particularly well for SF. Three disastrous elections and the only glimmer of light being a by-election gain that they're going to lose again in a fortnight.

If they have a good election they'll come back with the same number of seats as 2016.

What will be different in the next Dail?

Baron von Biffo

You’re wasting your time. Baron and Shiel both think Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil are perfect and will dictate to this country together forever.
That's the sort of childishness SF needs to shed if you're ever to make the break into serious politics.

Thinking that SF policies are irresponsible and cynical doesn't mean that someone thinks FG or FF are perfect, or even very good.

While we won’t get the change that’s needed in this election, I have no doubt that the people of Ireland are finally seeing the light and we will get the opportunity to dethrone them at the next election.
Why have you failed to dethrone them since the last GE?

Not alone has SF failed to land a blow on either party but actual election results, as opposed to opinion polls, show them getting hammered.

Following that Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil will merge into one party and be consigned to opposition for the foreseeable future.
I've been hearing that for more than 50 years and there's no doubt that naive people will still be predicting it for GE 2070.

New Threads

Most Replies