• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

An eminently fair adjudication by the Parades Commission

J

Johnny Boy

BBC News - Parades Commission ruling on Remembrance Day march past Belfast flashpoint

The Parades Commission has placed restrictions on a march due to pass a parade flashpoint in north Belfast on Saturday.

The march has been organised by the Apprentice Boys of Derry to mark Remembrance Day.
The commission has ruled that only hymn tunes must be played as the bands pass St Patrick's church in Donegall St.
Well done to the Parades Commission for imposing sensible conditions that everybody taking part in the parade should have no problem adhering to.
What could possibly be wrong with insisting that bands participating in a parade, organised by a self-defined religious body, should be restricted to playing religious hymns going past a church?
The response from some of the "friskier" participants, e.g. YCV types, will be interesting.

RedCloud

BBC News - Parades Commission ruling on Remembrance Day march past Belfast flashpoint

Well done to the Parades Commission for imposing sensible conditions that everybody taking part in the parade should have no problem adhering to.
What could possibly be wrong with insisting that bands participating in a parade, organised by a self-defined religious body, should be restricted to playing religious hymns going past a church?
The response from some of the "friskier" participants, e.g. YCV types, will be interesting.
There are stories about nothing...
Stories about absolutely nothing...
And this.

Ye gads,if this is the extent of nat/rep 'fishing',you need to change the bait !!

Aristodemus

Some of us of a more secular hue find the playing of hymns more offensive than some upbeat ditty containing words we do not know and could care less about. Let's face it, Sloop John B is a great tune regardless of the bastardisation of the lyrics by some neanderthal. certainly preferable to Abide with me.

physicist

Well, I'm offended by this, how dare the Apprentice Boys forsake Derry on Remembrance Day??

Seriously though, why the need to go all the way to North Belfast where there's no major cenotaph for a march?

I doubt that the Boys will be as childish as the Young Blacks were on this issue.

vivabrigada

There are stories about nothing...
Stories about absolutely nothing...
And this.

Ye gads,if this is the extent of nat/rep 'fishing',you need to change the bait !!
This was a non story until loyalists showed their true colours in July and August, heinzey.

C

Castle Ray

A non-story again for rabid nationalists to get worked up over all over again.

Tbh, I'm starting to think these parades are great for amusing the simpletons in our society.

vivabrigada

Tbh, I'm starting to think these parades are great for amusing the simpletons in our society.
Well You are posting on this thread, you have a point.

eskrimador

Looks like the orders really are looking to keep on digging.

Best thing to ignore them and insist the PC and PPS do their job if/when they breach determinations. They Belfast guys seem hell bent on not just confronting the rest of society but disgracing their fellow members elsewhere. Look at the welcome rural lodges got by loyalists in east Belfast

eskrimador

Tbh, I'm starting to think these parades are great for amusing the simpletons in our society.[/QUOT

I'm sure he'll be along soon.

J

Johnny Boy

Oh, it's a bit harsh to judge all parading loyalists as simpletons. I think the PC have got this right though. Do you agree?:)

theloner

Apart from the fact it is really sad?

runwiththewind

You're not too far off the mark there Castle, from the deep "south" these parade are great craic. I know we shouldn't laugh at the marching village idiots but.......................

Mickeymac

Oh, it's a bit harsh to judge all parading loyalists as simpletons. I think the PC have got this right though. Do you agree?:)

It's an insult to simpletons to compare them with these parading sectarian scumballs.

The PC has given them plenty of grace, time to ban them from anywhere near areas where they are not welcome, surely most sane and sensible folk can not argue with that.

J

Johnny Boy

Looks like the orders really are looking to keep on digging.

Best thing to ignore them and insist the PC and PPS do their job if/when they breach determinations. They Belfast guys seem hell bent on not just confronting the rest of society but disgracing their fellow members elsewhere. Look at the welcome rural lodges got by loyalists in east Belfast
I'm not sure why anyone on the loyalisrt side could have any issue with being told to stick to playing hymns on a religious parade, if that is what it is. It seems more a perfectly reasonable solution to me. It is entirely appropriate and nobody should be offended by hymns.
Why are people so afraid of compromise?

Mickeymac

I'm not sure why anyone on the loyalisrt side could have any issue with being told to stick to playing hymns on a religious parade, if that is what it is. It seems more a perfectly reasonable solution to me. It is entirely appropriate and nobody should be offended by hymns.
Why are people so afraid of compromise?

Wise up ffs, the a$$holes do not abide by the rulings, btw, are you feeling ok sir?

J

Johnny Boy

Wise up ffs, the a$$holes do not abide by the rulings, btw, are you feeling ok sir?
If they don't they'll be arrested and hauled before the courts and fined. That is what the law is for.
I'm feeling fine as it happens.
Compromise is good, Mickey.:)

RedCloud

I see this particular nat/rep troll fishing trip only hooked the usual nat/rep shopping trolly.
Better luck next time,chum. :p

Mickeymac

Once more religious supremacist extremist bigots going out of their way to offend a community that wants to be left in peace and be free from intimidation, provocation and to live without fear

Sane and sensible folk can see that sir........but these a$$hole sectarian bigots don't.......that I think is the crux of the matter.

J

Johnny Boy

I see this particular nat/rep troll fishing trip only hooked the usual nat/rep shopping trolly.
Better luck next time,chum. :p
Chum? Jesus, Heinzy, you've just won the "unintentional pun of the month" award!!
Well done! You could get a job on the sports pages of a tabloid.
I suppose it was only a matter of time before you made your way onto an "Oirish" discussion board. It must have gotten pretty tiresome getting your arse kicked by the BBC moderators every few months.

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies