An Exopanded World Cup, But Is 48 Teams Enough?

General Urko

An Expanded World Cup, But Is 48 Teams Enough?

With FIFA's recent decision to expand The World Cup in 2026 to 48 teams, can I turn my famous jaudiced ass to the world and posit the view that perhaps 48 teams is not enough!petunia
Uefa has around 51 nations attached to it and we will probably go from 14 to 16 qualifiers! Now I know it's no longer a world for the single white male alone, and in recent times European sides have dissappointed, but it seems a tad unfair when South America with 10 nations attached will go from 4 to 6 or possibly 7!
Africa looks set to lose out relatively as Asia goes to a potential 9, obviously to include China every time, it will move from 5 to only 9!
The USA will be firmly an ever present with its confederation potentially going to 6/7 qualified!
My view is that the expanded Euros to 24 at the last tournament was a huge succes (well done to The FAI and SFA who proposed it!) except for English fans as is often the case bollex acting along with their Ruskie buddies (both should be banned with England permanently so and I mean their teams!).
For me the more the merrier plus we also get an increased chance of qualifying!

Last edited:

Happycamping

With FIFA's recent decision to expand The World Cup in 2026 to 48 teams, can I turn my famous jaudiced ass to the world and posit the view that perhaps 48 teams is not enough!petunia
Uefa has around 51 nations attached to it and we will probably go from 14 to 16 qualifiers! Now I know it's no longer a world for the single white male alone, and in recent times European sides have dissappointed, but it seems a tad unfair when South America with 10 nations attached will go from 4 to 6 or possibly 7!
Africa looks set to lose out relatively as Asia goes to a potential 9, obviously to include China every time, it will move from 5 to only 9!
The USA will be firmly an ever present with its confederation potentially going to 6/7 qualified!
My view is that the expanded Euros to 24 at the last tournament was a huge succes (well done to The FAI and SFA who proposed it!) except for English fans as is often the case bollex acting along with their Ruskie buddies (both should be banned with England permanently so and I mean their teams!).
For me the more the merrier plus we also get an increased chance of qualifying!
How many will the quota in Europe increase by?

razorblade

A complete waste of time, a money making racket for the tv companies, i suspect but its only adding more weaker countries into the tournament lessening the quality of the tournament, and more dire meaningless matches, a stupid idea but hardly surprising from the corrupt FIFA i have to say.

D

Deleted member 45466

The last decent world cup was in 1982 ffs.

Get rid of it.

General Urko

How many will the quota in Europe increase by?
Nothing has been decided in this regard but it's strongly speculated it will be increased to 16 from 14 and we have 51 UEFA Members!
However with the likelihood that when Europe hosts it, it could take 3 hosts that would obviously effect the numbers upwards or downwards!
There's talk of USA/Canada/Mexico taking the first one as hosts with a combination like Italy/Germany/Switzerland(or Austria) taking the next!
I wonder is there a possibilty of Ireland/England/Scotland hosting?
All told our chances of qualifying probably have not increased that much from the exension and Africa are still getting shafted!
Oh and Oceania is likely to get a full place!
So the winners are FIFA (who probably v American Sports still won't make as much money as they should!), The USA, Most of South America, China, Austraila and the wealthier Arab Nations in The Middle East!
Old Man Europe will still holds its own but New Europe will find it as hard as ever!
Also surely, the initialy group stage will not have draws allowed rather penalty shootouts probably without extra time as it fúcks up tv schedules!

General Urko

The last decent world cup was in 1982 ffs.

Get rid of it.
1986 had its moments and 1990 and 1994 will be special for us! 1998 was a bit of a return to old form as well!
Mind you a lot of these type of events seem real special when you are a child! Plus there is now saturation coverage of football!

General Urko

The RWC is likely to get to 25 qualifiers by the time we host it in 2023!
And this will be a wonderful tournament for us!

razorblade

1986 had its moments and 1990 and 1994 will be special for us! 1998 was a bit of a return to old form as well!
Mind you a lot of these type of events seem real special when you are a child! Plus there is now saturation coverage of football!
Maybe from an irish perspective,but 1990 and 1994 were very poor tournaments agree with you about 1998 though, seeing zidane and co lifting the world cup was truly a mesmerising experiance.

D

Deleted member 45466

Aside from Maradona, and a great final, '86 was a disappointing tourney?

1990 was considered the worst WC on record.

'94 - only memory of that is the Bulgarian team, who got drunk the night before the semi final and lost to........Italy?

'98 - Average French team won a decent WC. Final was a joke.

I stopped watching after that.

[video=youtube;FGbYsn2Blus]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGbYsn2Blus[/video]

D

Deleted member 45466

I love the gigantic flashing R on the top left during the replay, and the crackle in the commentary: like the match is being broadcast from a different galaxy.

Northsideman

FIFA is as bent as they come, when you look at the countries they have awarded the WC to you can see that. They got rid of the chancer in chief but the rest of the nest of vipers remain.

General Urko

What do you mean host it the final result isnt announced until november 2017.
I have a strong gut feeling we are the top candidate and if we don't get 2023 we will get 2027!
Look at the other candidates -
Rugby in France is fairly Fúcked.
In The High Veldt there's massive infighting in rugby circles and it is a very dangerous location!
In Ireland everything rugby wise is very positive!

General Urko

What do you mean host it the final result isnt announced until november 2017.
Yeah we are more or less a shoe-in like The Britz staying in The EU and Hillary becoming POTUS!:cool:

cricket

Groups of 3 at the tournament stage is a joke. It means that one team will have considerably more recovery time than the others in the group.
The idea seems to owe more to the FIFA presidential election than anything else.

The exclamation mark is only used in exceptions. Please don't pollute your posts with the damned thing at the end of every single sentence.

General Urko

The exclamation mark is only used in exceptions. Please don't pollute your posts with the damned thing at the end of every single sentence.
Right, Chef!:rolleyes:

Karloff

2002 with the 3 Rs was a treat for beautiful football as well. Since then none of them have measured up apart from a few performances from Spain and Germany.

razorblade

All the most recent world cups have been snoozefests, i will never forget the diabolical of 2010, the only enjoyable bit was when England were done out of it, by a wrongly dissallowed frank lampard goal, and ended up being eliminated by the germans, and the final itself was the worst spectacular you could watch, diving, and kicking and general negative football and dirty tactics from the Dutch, and Spain with their tika taka rubbish passing the ball sidewades and back wernt much better, absolutly horrible tournament thats best to be a forgotton piece of history.

belfast1981

Waste of time.

While having NI and ROI in the Euros was great, the expansion felt flat a lot of the time and seemed a bit of an overkill.

48 Team world cup will be a nightmare.

New Threads

Most Replies