An Exopanded World Cup, But Is 48 Teams Enough?

General Urko

2002 with the 3 Rs was a treat for beautiful football as well. Since then none of them have measured up apart from a few performances from Spain and Germany.
3Rs?

RepublicOfLuas

No point. Future world cups will look like this.

Group A:

EU (European Union)
SCO (Shangai Cooperation Organisation)
LOAS (League of Arab States)
PIF (Pacific Island Forum)

Group B:

UNASUR (Union of South American Nations)
AU (African Union)
ASEAN (Association of Southeast Asian Nations)
NAU (North American Union)

corporal punishment

I gave up on international football years ago. Pure and utter shyte.

Erudite Caveman

The last decent world cup was in 1982 ffs.

Get rid of it.
82 wasn't that good. Bunch of defensive hackers won and the best team never to win a World Cup weren't good enough to win the world cup. Maradona had a nightmare, and Platini's France were the victims of an assault in the semi. Big time rose tinted glasses there.

86 was better, primarily because of Maradona and Denmark. Maradona for being Maradona and the Danes for their football and their kit. 98 was good too, and I think I enjoyed the last one as much as any, even if Brazil were a bit rank.

General Urko

82 wasn't that good. Bunch of defensive hackers won and the best team never to win a World Cup weren't good enough to win the world cup. Maradona had a nightmare, and Platini's France were the victims of an assault in the semi. Big time rose tinted glasses there.

86 was better, primarily because of Maradona and Denmark. Maradona for being Maradona and the Danes for their football and their kit. 98 was good too, and I think I enjoyed the last one as much as any, even if Brazil were a bit rank.
82 had drama!petunia
Don't forget the only European club football we saw live then were The European Cup and European Cup Winners Cup finals!

Erudite Caveman

No point. Future world cups will look like this.

Group A:

EU (European Union)
SCO (Shangai Cooperation Organisation)
LOAS (League of Arab States)
PIF (Pacific Island Forum)

Group B:

UNASUR (Union of South American Nations)
AU (African Union)
ASEAN (Association of Southeast Asian Nations)
NAU (North American Union)
Group C

BREXIT (Realm of Her Maj)

D

Deleted member 45466

I was 7 in 1982, and my first live match was France v England (I only have vague memories of it and Robbo's 31 second goal).

In terms of classic matches and classic teams I'd go with '82.

That Danish team was a busted flush. They played their best football in 1984. If memory serves the Spaniards slathered grease all over their Nordic anus's and rode them to the tune of the hallelujah chorus. Beaten 6-1 or by a team of monkeys.

Classic matches in '86? Arguably, the final.

Classic teams, ehh, lemme think now.........Maradona?

The only game I can remember really enjoying from '98 was England v Argentina.

Euro 2000 was an excellent tournament. 16 teams is enough IMO.

ne0ica

I'll still watch every match.

General Urko

No the winners play them as an end of game 'boss'. It's basically just Queen Elizabeth in goal with 10 giant man-lizzards in front of her.
I didn't know David Icke was around here!:rolleyes:

General Urko

I'll still watch every match.
And because they won't be sychronised at any stage, you will be able too! Good Man!petunia

Telstar 62

Fifa has launched an investigation after six watches worth £10,000 each
went missing at its awards gala in Zurich on Monday.

General Urko

Fifa has launched an investigation after six watches worth £10,000 each
went missing at its awards gala in Zurich on Monday.
Just £10K?

Jezza15

With FIFA's recent decision to expand The World Cup in 2026 to 48 teams, can I turn my famous jaudiced ass to the world and posit the view that perhaps 48 teams is not enough!petunia
Uefa has around 51 nations attached to it and we will probably go from 14 to 16 qualifiers! Now I know it's no longer a world for the single white male alone, and in recent times European sides have dissappointed, but it seems a tad unfair when South America with 10 nations attached will go from 4 to 6 or possibly 7!
Africa looks set to lose out relatively as Asia goes to a potential 9, obviously to include China every time, it will move from 5 to only 9!
The USA will be firmly an ever present with its confederation potentially going to 6/7 qualified!
My view is that the expanded Euros to 24 at the last tournament was a huge succes (well done to The FAI and SFA who proposed it!) except for English fans as is often the case bollex acting along with their Ruskie buddies (both should be banned with England permanently so and I mean their teams!).
For me the more the merrier plus we also get an increased chance of qualifying!
Aw come on now! What would the tournos be without England romping in via our qualifying group, bleating on about how well we are going to do and then falling flat on our 4r5es?

corporal punishment

In comparison to the club game? The club game is now grotesque.
Which club game. The LOI can be entertaining if people got off their arses and went out to support it. I'm lucky though, Turners cross is quite a nice ground to watch football in. Not so sure about Ballybofey. :)

Socratus O' Pericles

missis o'p is not what you'd call interested in sport.

Anyhow she said she'd watch the Spain v Holland 2010 Final (refereed by Howard Webb, remember that? & Johan Cruyff chose to support Spain-- the greatest man ever to play the game said it gave him ‘intense joy’ to see the Spanish win)

When it was over she goes " is that the shít ye get excited about?".............and off she went bewildered.

General Urko

missis o'p is not what you'd call interested in sport.

Anyhow she said she'd watch the Spain v Holland 2010 Final (refereed by Howard Webb, remember that? & Johan Cruyff chose to support Spain-- the greatest man ever to play the game said it gave him ‘intense joy’ to see the Spanish win)

When it was over she goes " is that the shít ye get excited about?".............and off she went bewildered.
As Cruyff The Dutch were playing anti-soccer, which they were!:mad:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies