• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

An Expanding-Family Bonding: Jamie Oliver & Wife Have Kiddies Present for the Birth of Another

Bea C

It's the Daily Mail-esque story of the day!
Alas my Mother had Sky News on earlier, hence I encountered this.
Apparently it's a growing trend across the Atlantic, and it's making its presence creep over this side now.
Well, in the UK.
Thanks to the likes of these two :roll:

Would you let your children watch you give birth? - BBC News

The kiddies got to cut the umbilical cord and everything.
But nevermind that, they got to watch mummy whilst a skull came through her cervix!
Lovely.

silverharp

I'd draw the line at conception

silverharp

That might damage the children even further, true.
why would watching a birth damage them? that sounds a bit repressed Irish Catholic? it might be the moment one them decides to become a doctor or midwife

shoneen

Apparently it's a growing trend across the Atlantic, and it's making its presence creep over this side now.
Well, in the UK.

But nevermind that, they got to watch mummy whilst a skull came through her cervix!
Lovely.

Christ. No.

I was only present for one of my kids being born. I had no wish to see what was going on, and my wife wasn't overly keen either.

I have some unkind theories into why some men love seeing women give birth, but tend to keep them to myself. :)

Se0samh

Well, in the UK.

Lovely.

Why not. My parents didn't go quite that far, but the last time my mother gave birth at home(1960's) my siblings and I were brought in and introduced to our new brother, right after he was born.

My mother was breastfeeding him at the time, perhaps that why I have difficulty understanding the several recent furore on this issue...:)

Clanrickard

Crazy. How does watching your Mother scream and swear constitute bonding?

Bea C

why would watching a birth damage them? that sounds a bit repressed Irish Catholic? it might be the moment one them decides to become a doctor or midwife
How is it 'repressed Irish Catholic'?
How can a young child watching their mother in a very high state of distress be positive?

Bea C

Why not. My parents didn't go quite that far, but the last time my mother gave birth at home(1960's) my siblings and I were brought in and introduced to our new brother, right after he was born.

My mother was breastfeeding him at the time, perhaps that why I have difficulty understanding the several recent furore on this issue...:)
That was right after he was born, though.
There is a difference.

Felixness

That's insane. There's no reason for kids to be present at a siblings birth, I'd say quite a few men wish they hadn't been present at it either. More American nonsense. Personally, I wouldn't have wanted to be present and I doubt most women would want their other children there. We must remember that this is the Oliver's and they do live in their own bizarre earth mommy planet saving daddy world.

silverharp

How is it 'repressed Irish Catholic'?
How can a young child watching their mother in a very high state of distress be positive?
firstly I'd say the hospitals wouldn't want children being part of the package , so they wont be happy or will just ban children anyway. I'm more of the opinion of not protecting children from things but at the same time I don't see any particular benefits just no downside either.
maybe the next time the mother says "but I gave birth to you" the induced guilt would hit home more :D

johnnypockets

There is nothing repressed about it. It is no place for children. For feck sake

Bea C

A groaning, out of date, over-stretched, understaffed maternity unit: all it's missing is the family bonding fad.

Se0samh

That was right after he was born, though.
There is a difference.
Of course there is, but it was immediately after, the evidence of what had been happening was all around. Our house wasn't sound proof either............:)

I don't remember being particularly upset, the Oliver children don't seem to have been, either..............:D

JCR

I'm just surprised that greedy little pig didn't broadcast a cookery programme live from the birth.

The Field Marshal

Well, in the UK.

Lovely.

Provided the begetters of the infants have not been to Zika zones exposing children to childbirth itself may be even beneficial.

Felixness

Another issue is that the Oliver's probably paid for the best PRIVATE maternity care in a PRIVATE hospital with an atmosphere more like an hotel than a maternity hospital. Surely the whole experience would be very traumatic for a child to witness?

ShoutingIsLeadership

What a delightful looking family.

I'd love to have five children...although one wonders if the poor mother now has a growler like a wizard's sleeve, after five births.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies