An Expanding-Family Bonding: Jamie Oliver & Wife Have Kiddies Present for the Birth of Another

The Field Marshal

Because it doesn't directly impact on his health.............:)
Even strong men men attending childbirths have been know to pass out during the experience.
I would call that impacting on the health.

gatsbygirl20

It's no-one else business, other than the parents, especially the mother..............of course the Olivers did go public, but then again, perhaps they had been gently chided themselves....................:D
I don't want to be dissing the Olivers.....jeering at Jamie Oliver is also very much in fashion. For a father to tweet or upload pictures in that euphoric high after the birth, is totally understandable. He wanted to share his joy.
They look like a lovely family. Good luck to them.

But some of the patronising discourse around "natural" birth and breastfeeding by zealots and true-believers sets my teeth on edge, so I'd better shut up and not derail the thread.

I fear zealotry in all its forms.

Plus I notice that the consensus around birth being "natural" means that it's OK for hospitals to get rid of mothers a day, or often a few hours, after they have given birth while they are still fragile and their stitches are unhealed, etc

For the same reason the NHS no longer automatically offer Epidurals in many of their hospitals, because they want to 'encourage" "natural" births. I bet they do. Funny how they'll produce them immediately if they are paid for in advance, just like in the good old days when "natural" birth was for the poor, and the well-off went to a nursing home and had some choices.

Bea C

It has become trendy, and there seems to be an element of virtue-signalling around the whole "natural" birth debate. Celebrities feel the need to tell us that the birth was "drug free"--"totally natural, no pain relief" and so on.

Mothers who put their head above the parapet about opting for no partner present at birth, bottle feeding, , epidural, caesarean, etc are often gently chided or patronised,--as it is presumed their choice results from "not having enough supports in place" or because "they have not informed themselves of the risks" and so on...

The deeply irritating Ray D'Arcy was on radio today in a huff because more mothers were not breastfeeding

As if women in this country didn't spend long enough in years gone by being told what to with their bodies by male cleric-types who always knew what was best for them.
And what f**king difference does it make to him anyway?
Was he actually judgmental?

RodShaft

I don't want to be dissing the Olivers.....jeering at Jamie Oliver is also very much in fashion. For a father to tweet or upload pictures in that euphoric high after the birth, is totally understandable. He wanted to share his joy.

But some of the patronising discourse around "natural" birth and breastfeeding by zealots and true-believers sets my teeth on edge, so I'd better shut up and not derail the thread.

Plus I notice that the consensus around birth being "natural" means that it's OK for hospitals to get rid of mothers a day, or often a few hours, after they have given birth while they are still fragile and their stitches are unhealed, etc

For the same reason the NHS no longer automatically offer Epidurals in many of their hospitals, because they want to 'encourage" "natural" births. I bet they do. Funny how they'll produce them immediately if they are paid for in advance, just like in the good old days when "natural" birth was for the poor, and the well-off went to a nursing home and had some choices.

As do I. Even though I am a zealot about two things.

Certainty is a dangerous thing. Intelligent people have doubts. The world of full of people who are certain. And often wrong

Bea C

Hence the fondness for "bitty" into your 40s....:)
Is 'Bitty' the name of the cartoon penguin?
If so, that's funny!
But my fear that perhaps it's something more crude advises me that perhaps it is best for me not to google it, not here on an office computer.

gatsbygirl20

And what f**king difference does it make to him anyway?
Was he actually judgmental?
Is it sexist to say that when I hear men pontificating about breastfeeding and childbirth, I want to wallop them?
Could this be a hangover from listening to Bishops and priests talking about women's bodies in authoritative tones back in the day?

gatsbygirl20

Even strong men men attending childbirths have been know to pass out during the experience.
I would call that impacting on the health.
So very true, TFM......watch Robin Williams at the end....

[video=youtube;KQjJ1u6qnug]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQjJ1u6qnug[/video]

Bea C

Is it sexist to say that when I hear men pontificating about breastfeeding and childbirth, I want to wallop them?
Could this be a hangover from listening to Bishops and priests talking about women's bodies in authoritative tones back in the day?
No.
And unless it's a medical professional, I have no interest in hearing a man tell me about such things.

Zapped(CAPITALISMROTS)

Twitter
daxxdrake
:shock2:[video=youtube;oV5LQcmuGg8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV5LQcmuGg8[/video] :lol:

Blokesbloke

Did Daddy cook the placenta afterwards? Chuck on a few herbs, stick it in the pan, bish bash bosh?

Socratus O' Pericles

As a man I think its a good thing, the more openness, the more transparency and the less secrecy we can all have in our lives the better in my view. That's all, over and out.

Se0samh

I find little to argue with in this post, indeed I actively and enthusiastically endorse most of it, but where you see patronising advice on natural child birth and breastfeeding, I see people anxious to extol the benefits of these for mother and child. When my wife was pregnant with our first, her sister, who never had children was forever telling horror stories that she'd heard and maximising the problems inherent with breastfeeding.

People should butt out, new parents are anxious enough without such unwanted pressure. I believe most expectant parents inform themselves sufficiently and need no unsought advice on this matter, leave them alone unless asked and even then offer advice as neutrally as possible...............:)

The Field Marshal

Certainty is a dangerous thing.
Exactly.
That is why we will chose a surgeon uncertain as to which limb to amputate.
Everytime.

Intelligent people have doubts.
Yes.
That is why I always refuse to board any aeroplane where the crew are not doubtful about the destination.

The world of full of people who are certain.
it is truly a horrible horrible thing all this certainty

And often wrong
Agh rrrrrrgh.
The very worst & even worse than those who are sometimes right.

Ellen Ripley

Back in the Thirties when home births were all the rage in three-roomed thatched cottages in rural Ireland, my late uncle heard his mother giving birth to his sister. The birth lasted 2 days and traumatised my uncle, who was aged 5 or 6 at the time. He spoke of it a lot. He could still recall his mother's screams and pleas "for mercy" as he called it. It upset him, as his mother was a stoical, hardworking countrywoman who never complained about minor aches or pains.

It is up to every family to do as they choose, and the Oliver family look happy and proud, as they have a perfect right to be.

But personally, I always regarded giving birth--like other quite natural and healthy functions such as defecating and urinating--as essentially a private activity. I want no witnesses except essential medical staff, thank you.

I also preferred a private space for breastfeeding if one were available.

Not everyone wants to follow the prevailing fashion in these matters.
I'd imagine it would have been fairly unusual for a child to be present, GG.

I remember my late aunts and uncles relate how they'd be sent to a relative for the duration--the older ones knew to expect a new baby on their return, as most women had a baby almost every year in those times.

The kids in the family photos were like the steps of the stairs...

The Field Marshal

Thats even worse than the zika babies.

What caused such a dreadful affliction?

Se0samh

I'd imagine it would have been fairly unusual for a child to be present, GG.

I remember my late aunts and uncles relate how they'd be sent to a relative for the duration--the older ones knew to expect a new baby on their return, as most women had a baby almost every year in those times.

Can be deceptive that, my sister who is almost two years younger, towered over me until I hit my mid teens.................:D

Ellen Ripley

Thats even worse than the zika babies.

What caused such a dreadful affliction?
It's the harsh start in life, FM.
They say men never recover from the shock of starting out by being in bed with a woman they're not married to, and spent the rest of their lives trying to get back to that state...

Truth.ie

As a man I think its a good thing, the more openness, the more transparency and the less secrecy we can all have in our lives the better in my view. That's all, over and out.
Until there are birth complications leading to a death of mother or baby and the 8 year old is traumatised for life.
Do doctors and nurses really want feckin´ kids farting about in the room whilst they do their work.
Utterly selfish and narcissistic behaviour by the parents

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies