An extra €2.5 billion to be made available for infrastructure spending, what should it be spent on?

GDPR

The government has announced that there will be an extra €2.5 billion available for capital spending, as part of a review of the Capital Plan. The 'winners' will be announced as part of Budget 2018.

Submissions for the first phase of the review will be sought from Departments and key stakeholders and a public consultation will also be undertaken to inform the review (details to be announced over the coming period). As part of the process, it is currently intended that the Department of Public Expenditure and Reform will publish output as part of the 2017 Mid-Year Expenditure Report, including a stock-take of progress to date on delivery of the Capital Plan; a macro-economic analysis, assessing developments in the economic environment since the plan was published in 2015; and an infrastructure demand analysis, benchmarking existing infrastructure being supplied to assess its capability to meet demands as the economy continues to grow.

Building on this analysis, Minister Donohoe stated that the Department of Public Expenditure and Reform will assess the submissions received from Departments and other stakeholders and make recommendations to Government in Q3 2017, to inform final decisions by Government on revised capital allocations, to be announced in the context of Budget 2018.
The extra funding to be made available is very welcome in this area that has been underfunded for a long number of years. Minister Noonan has indicated that in light of Brexit, extra investment in our ports will be required. So what does p.ie believe it should be spent on? A Cork-Limerick motorway, put towards getting DART underground going, social housing, schools and universities, hospitals and primary care units??? What in your opinion are the three areas in most need of public infrastructure investment and please give your reasons why.

Govt announces an extra
Ministers Donohoe and Noonan set out approach to mid-term review of the Capital Plan - MerrionStreet

between the bridges

The wall...

Spanner Island

A decent national broadband network... and if there's anything left... a rail/LUAS/track link to Dublin Airport...

gleeful

Has to be the Metro and Dart Underground. Nothing else is as important.

wombat

My guess is there will be something for everyone in the audience with the result that nobody will benefit other than a few contractors who will drain the rivers that get drained at every election time.

GDPR

The wall...
Officials have indicated that the budget and time frame for the wall will actually result in a serious underspend and will be finished a year early, therefore they have altered the tender to include a tunnel between Leitrim and Fermanagh.

ger12

Public transport infrastructure and health care infrastructure and IT infrastructure.

And a night away for me please.

GDPR

Public transport infrastructure and health care infrastructure and IT infrastructure.

And a night away for me please.
Officials have indicated that a fortnight away in Singapore for a 'family' as part of a fact finding mission, will be filed under miscellaneous expenses, and therefore can be accommodated.

Deadlock

I think we can always dream about nice glittery things, but we need to face brass tack questions as well

My vote goes for prison space where there is sufficient space to make a sentence entirely servable and not a revolving open door and that the forces of law and order greatly boosted. Followed up by community care assisted living for the elderly and the physically/mentally disabled currently forced to reside in hospitals post-op.

Last edited:

corporal punishment

Has to be the Metro and Dart Underground. Nothing else is as important.
Will every city in the country get one or is it only Dublin?

GDPR

Followed up by community care assisted living for the elderly and the physically/mentally disabled currently forced to reside in hospitals.
I would whole heartedly agree with this suggestion. My other two priority areas would be the whole water/sewer infrastructure area, and social housing. If the figure was 10 billion, Metro north, dart undeground and cork-limerick motorway would be my additional suggestions.

TheWolf

The government has announced that there will be an extra €2.5 billion available for capital spending, as part of a review of the Capital Plan. The 'winners' will be announced as part of Budget 2018.

The extra funding to be made available is very welcome in this area that has been underfunded for a long number of years. Minister Noonan has indicated that in light of Brexit, extra investment in our ports will be required. So what does p.ie believe it should be spent on? A Cork-Limerick motorway, put towards getting DART underground going, social housing, schools and universities, hospitals and primary care units??? What in your opinion are the three areas in most need of public infrastructure investment and please give your reasons why.

Govt announces an extra
Ministers Donohoe and Noonan set out approach to mid-term review of the Capital Plan - MerrionStreet
I presume it's just a rehashing of spending plans already signalled or announced already.
Did he clear this with m. martin?

T

Toowoomba

A proper junction at the M7/M9 merge and six extra lanes to the Mad Cow.

How about an outer ring road, away from the M50.

ger12

Officials have indicated that a fortnight away in Singapore for a 'family' as part of a fact finding mission, will be filed under miscellaneous expenses, and therefore can be accommodated.
No no no no no ... just me, and all those 5 stars please. ;)

wombat

The problem with social spending schemes is not the capital cost of a project but the ongoing funding needed. This is additional capital spending so it can only go on physical infrastructure.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies