• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

An honest question about the Gardai and politics.ie

lies

Twitter
yes
I see a LOT of hatred towards the Guards on P.ie and I don't completely get it.

It seems to be a mix between:

1. Public Service worker hatred
2. Authority hatred
3. Corrupt police hatred

But, tell me... are Irish cops the worst? Or even, that bad?

I mean, in some ways, they are pretty shocking - the fact that hundreds drive around with no license in Ireland for example, or that no one polices the roads. But in other ways, compared to other countries, they're certainly not hugely corrupt.

They're also not violent, relative to what you see in other countries.

And of course, while they may be, organisationally, incompetent, the Guards I know personally are basically passionate about their job. Which is what I'd expect, really.

And for every story of "lazy guards using their own laptops" you hear one of, "guards pay for their own petrol as their fuel cards are empty".

So, why all the hatred?

I'm not lobbying for them; I've had my fair share of run in with cops in multiple countries - I'm not naive, but at the same time... it seems the amount of hatred on P.ie is - in many cases - irrational.

So, enlighten me, please.

Thanks!

firefly123

Have you ever seen the Ali-g movie? There is a scene where MR G is driving in his shïtty little hot hatch past a police car with his mate. In order to look the hard man he gives them the finger but hides it under the door so they can't see. Well'ard !
I feel that eighty percent of the posts having a go at Garda fall in to that catagory.
The other twenty percent are probably genuine grievances because much as I support the Garda some of them are utter knobs. But then the same could be said about computer programmers or travel agents or accountants. The trouble is the Garda have the potential power to ruin you.

borntorum

The Gardai benefitted for years from the general deferment to authority. Most of them are decent, but like many organisations where a relatively small number of members are repeatedly corrupt, e,g, the Catholic Church, the Gardai react defensively to any criticism from outside the force. They are a huge police force (I think only the Londin Met is larger in these islands) and they haven't been properly reformed since their creation.

Eoin Coir

A small section of garda are efficient and do a good job. But majority of them are rude, inefficient, parasites on society who scrounge for free grub and drink, and flash cards to get into nigh clubs for free.
As regards using own laptops whats that all about ? I see where one of their union bosses is on golf trip to Spain. Guards are also notorious for dabbling in property and as landlords. They are a sort of elite in Irish society. Figures released by Justice Dept of Friday reveal that on average, a garda rank earns 56k pa, excluding overtime. They have good pay, premium pay, and rent allowance. They also almost brought down their own credit union.

Last edited:

RahenyFG

I see a LOT of hatred towards the Guards on P.ie and I don't completely get it.

It seems to be a mix between:

1. Public Service worker hatred
2. Authority hatred
3. Corrupt police hatred

But, tell me... are Irish cops the worst? Or even, that bad?

I mean, in some ways, they are pretty shocking - the fact that hundreds drive around with no license in Ireland for example, or that no one polices the roads. But in other ways, compared to other countries, they're certainly not hugely corrupt.

They're also not violent, relative to what you see in other countries.

And of course, while they may be, organisationally, incompetent, the Guards I know personally are basically passionate about their job. Which is what I'd expect, really.

And for every story of "lazy guards using their own laptops" you hear one of, "guards pay for their own petrol as their fuel cards are empty".

So, why all the hatred?

I'm not lobbying for them; I've had my fair share of run in with cops in multiple countries - I'm not naive, but at the same time... it seems the amount of hatred on P.ie is - in many cases - irrational.

So, enlighten me, please.

Thanks!
How about getting a fine for driving and talking on the phone while gards can do this as they wish.

firefly123

I don't think that talking on mobile phones while driving is the worst abuse of Garda authority I've ever seen.
All emergency personnel are exempt from this law. Whether that is right or wrong is another thing but they aren't breaking any laws.

EUrJokingMeRight

On the whole the Gardai are a good police force. The problem is the size of Ireland and the wink/nod approach to low level matters which means that for more serious matters there can be an effective 'apartheid' when it comes to applying the law. Unfortunately I dont see this changing anytime soon.
If your means can support a good legal team or if you are a well known Irish person, you catch some breaks that others do not. This is not the fault of the gardai but it does mean that it seems there is less of a will to charge such people. This may not be the case in reality.
The gardai can also come across as a private police force at times who ignore certain citizens rights, which does happen occasionally and causes their public image serious problems. Ditto for example the "I'll rape you" audio tapes etc etc. Very poor form and very damaging for the public image of the Gardai. I bet thousands of decent gardai rolled their eyes to the sky when that one went public.
More recently the industrial action threatened by the Gardai is also poor form. How can they expect people to abide by the laws of the land when the force itself is seeking to frustrate them? It sets a poor example and shows no leadership at all.
Most Gardai I've met have been decent people, I've met a few whose personality traits would cause me concern.
But then sometimes certain situations call for that type of 'personality'.
On the whole though, if I was a school teacher, I'd give them a 'B-', not the worst by any means, but room for improvement.

Which is fair enough for an organisation of its size..

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
All emergency personnel are exempt from this law. Whether that is right or wrong is another thing but they aren't breaking any laws.
... and if the management can't provide hands-free kits (amongst the simplest things in the world to set up, and not very expensive either) ...

RahenyFG

I don't think that talking on mobile phones while driving is the worst abuse of Garda authority I've ever seen.
Well no but just saying.

Seen at the Irishtown Gardai Station in Dublin plenty of times when Gards going off duty and leaving the station in their cars and not looking left or right just shooting straight out with not a care for pedestrians or cars.

Sister Mercedes

On an individual level, I would be sympathetic to Gardai. The amount of day to day abuse they are subjected to by the skanger element of society is pretty shocking. If people tried that on in the US or France they'd be handcuffed and in-prison sharpish.

But as an institution, I think the Gardai are a mess. They seem averse to any sort of reform or new technology.

firefly123

Well no but just saying.

Seen at the Irishtown Gardai Station in Dublin plenty of times when Gards going off duty and leaving the station in their cars and not looking left or right just shooting straight out with not a care for pedestrians or cars.
Nearly knocked you off your BMX did they? :)

D

Deleted member 17573

As police forces go I would have more faith in the Gardai than in most police forces - in terms of being treated fairly, not being set up for a crime and not being subjected to physical violence. There are a few bad eggs but the majority are ordinary decent men and women.

southwestkerry

I have no issues with them at all myself. Indeed i always support them here on pie. They have a very hard job sorting out Ireland's woes and get hardly any credit for it here.
By the large folks here on pie hate everything anyway so not much notice is to be taken by what is said here. Hence too why so little is made of pie elsewhere. All the effing and binding and **** them talk is sometime so juvenile its hard to see why people should take any notice what so ever of certain posters.
swk

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
I've seen scenes of unnecessary savage violence from guards, have been set up and perjured about by guards,been asked by guards to perjure myself have seen plenty of petty acts of arrogance, favoritism and sheer incompetence by guards (and let's not forget the recent revelations of penalty point magic).

The force is probably better than many other similar institutions worldwide, but in my experience there would certainly appear to be quite a lot of room for improvement.

There are certainly bad eggs, but the most intractable problems would appear to be in the Garda culture -- which is a management problem.

turdsl

I believe we have a great police force some have been very close friends,some of those friends pulled me over the years, we are still good friends,Some of the people who give out about them would be the first to shout help,"Call the Guards" The very same people who give out about the nurses, who when the arrive in casulty would shout, help, Nurse
look at my finger, A friend of mine while on duty, his house was raided and his spare uniform cut to ribbons,Mr Shatter was disgrace trying to aggravate them telling them to go back to the talks, Mr Shatter knows well the Gardai were never at any talks and have no authority to be there because they have no negotiating licence. It is pure deceit
for political advantage,

Eoin Coir

What has happened the penalty points scandal, seems to be gone dormant. Anything to with the Garda go slow !