• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

An Incident in Tullinaglug

wretchedwilbur

An American visited our town last week.

Male , caucasian , florid of cheek - answered to Bud - didn't catch the surname. Hailed from Madison Indiana it transpired.

Bumped into him on Wednesday morning as I was delivering coal in one of the myriad of new housing estates to blossom gaudily during the recent hiatus which interrupted our prevailing economic state of dismal depression.

He was having trouble locating the abode of a Mr Hourlaw , a fellow American he was keen to meet. Bud had been imbibing in one of our local hostelries , the "Merry Sniper" , and had been informed by a helpful band of forelock-tipping peasants of the existence of another American who had retired and settled in our little town. And , amazingly , this Mr Hourlaw had lived all his life in Madison Indiana too !! What are the chances !!

And , now , the following morning I had encountered Bud , piece of paper in hand and a look of perplexed frustration on face. He cheered up on seeing me presuming , rightly , that in my line of work I'd probably be in a position to render clear and unambiguous directions to the elusive home of Mr Hourlaw.But I had never heard of the man.

"What's his christian name , good buddy ?" said I trying to sound American and sophisticated.

Bud checked his piece of paper. "Chuck " he drawled - before spittin' a well masticated plug of baccy onto the pav..sidewalk.

It meant nothing to me.

Bud drawled a bit more. "Guys in the bar said he liked to be called Chucky !"

And then it hit me .

"Sorry Bud but I think you're the victim of a wind-up , old hombre" , I told him.

I'd have loved to explain it to him but old Mrs McAsal at number 6 was roaring for briquettes , with a face on her like a smacked aarse !

Bobert

Interesting fact, the term "bud" comes from the Irish "Búd".

Andrew49

Twitter
AndrewSB49
... possibly from Scotish Gaelic "a bhodaich" meaning "old man".???

Horace Horse

He's a lucky guy if he's from Madison. I've been there. Very pretty town, on the Ohio River.
I wouldn't fancy spending January & February there, however. Freezing...

Horace Horse

... possibly from Scotish Gaelic "a bhodaich" meaning "old man".???
That's not just Scots Gaelic, bodach is Irish also. Though it certainly does not mean "old man".

But it wouldn't correspond to the "Búd" that our friend above mentions. Different vowel.

Of course, when I think about it, Irish "bod" could mean old man...

Bobert

When the Irish first emigrated Stateside, they would refer to the Yanks as búd, which is Irish for penis, or pri'ck as it was more commonly known to the immigrants. So, the Irish would call Americans pri'cks and, overtime, the Americans took it to mean friend.

McMahon35

Ok, so are u a writer???? Great prose, we were highly entertained. Any more tales from the ol sod? My Nana's (bless her soul) hometown??