An Irish transport map

spikslow

Website
uk.geocities.com

I saw this map and burst my sides laughing. Only in Ireland would a transport system include a long section of walking. This map would have been fine without the symbol of a walking man, but by including the symbol, the Luas people have underlined the ridiculousness of our urban planning.

As a nation we are pretty self-congratulatory, moments like this help bring me back down to earth. The Ireland of yesteryear still
lives.

credibility

spikslow said:
http://www.luas.ie/network-map.php

I saw this map and burst my sides laughing. Only in Ireland would a transport system include a long section of walking. This map would have been fine without the symbol of a walking man, but by including the symbol, the Luas people have underlined the ridiculousness of our urban planning.

As a nation we are pretty self-congratulatory, moments like this help bring me back down to earth. The Ireland of yesteryear still lives.
Surely that's a prank?

What a laughing stock we are. No wonder we struggle to build tunnels to ports that will no longer exist and fill the country with 2 lane motorways only to replace them with 3 a few montsh later!!

WE ARE A JOKE OF A NATION!!

Seos

what's the problem? it just shows that it's walking distance. Instead of a bus or taxi being needed.

greengoose

Podolski said:
At least you have a tram system.
Not in Drumcondra - Phibsboro - Finglas - Cabra - Glasnevin and various other places! :cool:

We do have a crappy bus service so there. We also have a tunnel in Whitehall. Our traffic jams onthe Gracepark are the envy of M50 users.

White Horse

This is the railway network that the British oppressors and plunderers left us with.

When I see what Irish governments have done to this network, it makes me wonder who are the plunderers.

joel

White Horse said:

This is the railway network that the British oppressors and plunderers left us with.

When I see what Irish governments have done to this network, it makes me wonder who are the plunderers.

I suppose it was to get the Master Race about the country, was it?

freedomlover

Fionn_McCool said:
Do you mean this one ?

;)
If you knew anything about map-making, you'd see that its a perfectly sensible map. Concise and informative. Its clearly telling the reader who gets off the green line at St Stephen's Green that the nearest station on the red line is at Abbey Street. They might not have known that. That's what maps are for: to inform their users of the situation on the ground.

nawbut

plunder

White Horse said:

Could someone please ask them to come back to plunder Donegal, again?

credibility

freedomlover said:
Fionn_McCool said:
Do you mean this one ?

;)
If you knew anything about map-making, you'd see that its a perfectly sensible map. Concise and informative. Its clearly telling the reader who gets off the green line at St Stephen's Green that the nearest station on the red line is at Abbey Street. They might not have known that. That's what maps are for: to inform their users of the situation on the ground.

yes but it's a considerable walk and given the amount of long drawn out unconnected public transport projects we have had it is laughable

greengoose

credibility said:
freedomlover said:
Fionn_McCool said:
Do you mean this one ?

;)

yes but it's a considerable walk and given the amount of long drawn out unconnected public transport projects we have had it is laughable
It's only a long walk if you are a mothere pushing a buggy or an elderly person who needs a walking stick. In fact if the healthy ones need to walk that far many of them could walk the full distance of their journey! :lol:

White Horse said:
<Image of Old Railway Network>

Now let's see a map of the current system. The Irish Times printed the two for comparison a few years back. It's tragic.

Riadach

freedomlover said:
Fionn_McCool said:
Do you mean this one ?

;)
You find the above map perfectly sensible?

alonso

spikslow said:
http://www.luas.ie/network-map.php

As a nation we are pretty self-congratulatory, moments like this help bring me back down to earth. The Ireland of yesteryear still lives.
Really? While I agree on the pathetic investment in public transport over motorways by FF, your post is mildly hysterical. This map would not have been "fine" without the walking symbol. It would have been less informative, incomplete and inadequate. Walking is as valid a mode of transport as any other. In fact it's the only one we all use at some stage every day...

greengoose

OK, admittedly Geneva is a smaller city than Dublin but the public transport system is one of the best in Europe. The way that all the routes interconnect at some point and a hourly ticket allows the use of any bus. tram or ferry for that period. Will we ever see that sort of system? The short answer is no as is the long one.

:cool:

ibis

Note entirely certain what the tyre marks are supposed to mean, but they're oddly appropriate.

alonso

White Horse said:

WH, your implication is that we, the Irish, were too uncivilised and backwards to maintain this system and the Brits would have? OK take a look at the sceptred isle's transport system today. It's fcking shockin. IN fact if you take away the London tube, the Brits, with their bypasses of bypasses and their ever expading M25, have in fact done a worse job than Ireland...

Is there no topic that is immune from your "brit-good mick-bad" nonsense?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies