• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

An MEP only party


galwaygirl

Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2005
Messages
7
Given that there is a topic being discussed undder the heading 'would you vote for libertas' with an emphasis on european elections, I ask the question would a political party survive if the had no interest in local or national elections but whose sole reason for existence was to represent Ireland in Europe. An MEP party only ??

In the UK it happens that MEP only party tends to be the cranks and the very party that want to leave the EU survive because of the MEP system. Here could a pratical MEP only party survive ?
 


NeilW

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 31, 2005
Messages
4,634
UKIP has a smattering of elected councilors and an MP and some Lords through defections so it's not quite an MEP-only party. In fact it is the 4th biggest party in the UK in terms of candidates stood (and hence votes) in Westminster elections.

I presume something like Denmark's June Movement (which only contests Euro elections and has a sister party in Sweden now) would be a more appropriate comparison.

I think such a party culd survive but would have only limited support even at Euro elections.
 

aoife

Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2006
Messages
7
Not being flippent but would anyone vote for Harney for MEP on the basis that it would retire her as Health Minister ??
 

blucey

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 4, 2007
Messages
366
aoife said:
Not being flippent but would anyone vote for Harney for MEP on the basis that it would retire her as Health Minister ??
Brilliant idea!
Mary for Europe. Or the Park. Or EU commissioner. Or anything else....
 

stfrancis

Member
Joined
May 31, 2008
Messages
16
blucey said:
aoife said:
Not being flippent but would anyone vote for Harney for MEP on the basis that it would retire her as Health Minister ??
Brilliant idea!
Mary for Europe. Or the Park. Or EU commissioner. Or anything else....
ya it would be great to get a change, but in reality who would be better? seriously there is such a dearth of intellect within FF in particular that there would in all probability be somone who could be worse that her in the job!! now thats a frightening thought
 

carmel

New member
Joined
Aug 9, 2007
Messages
3
'Send Mary to Europe'........all the lefties would vote for her. Imagine all the shinners voting for the former PD leader :lol:
 

edufeature

Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2005
Messages
6
I would do nearly anything including mary to get harney out of her job in health I think she is the worst minister of health of all time ,the damage done will take decades to fix never mind the genuine problems that health has.
 

cropbeye

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
947
fizzycoke said:
Theory-Great
Reality-don't see it working
The very fact it challenges conventional thinking on politics means it has a lot going for it.

Traditional politics is not serving us very well in the year 2008.

Such a party would not have to live in fear of the Dublin Media and the HQs of the three main parties

who can currently come up with policies without ever having to explain why those policiies are now in use

or how it can be claimed they represent the intrinsic values of their electorate.
 

Electro

Member
Joined
May 6, 2007
Messages
91
I think the European Parliament and party system are designed so that they dilute their convictions and become ineffective. They just become part of the EU "wave" whatever direction it might be going in. This is especially relevant for conservative, rightist groupings.

An Euroskeptic-themed, MEP-only party would probably be ineffective in preserving the national sovereignty they wish to defend. National sovereignty is best defended at a national politics level - of course that takes a conscious, reinforced will to do so, which the likes of Fianna Fail obviously does not have.
 

RBinge

Active member
Joined
Jan 19, 2005
Messages
255
Electro said:
I think the European Parliament and party system are designed so that they dilute their convictions and become ineffective. They just become part of the EU "wave" whatever direction it might be going in. This is especially relevant for conservative, rightist groupings.

An Euroskeptic-themed, MEP-only party would probably be ineffective in preserving the national sovereignty they wish to defend. National sovereignty is best defended at a national politics level - of course that takes a conscious, reinforced will to do so, which the likes of Fianna Fail obviously does not have.
Then the No side will have to do the heavy lifting and form euroseptic parties if they want to be represented by other than Sinn Fein. Bit obvious why FF etc won't lift a finger in that way.
 

cropbeye

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
947
I am a No voter and I am neither a Euro sceptic

or a Euro skeptik.
 

thebrom

Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2007
Messages
69
Website
blogs.greenparty.ie
blucey said:
aoife said:
Not being flippent but would anyone vote for Harney for MEP on the basis that it would retire her as Health Minister ??
Brilliant idea!
Mary for Europe. Or the Park. Or EU commissioner. Or anything else....
And put who in Health? Almost all the Fianna Feckers have F*cked it up, as Cowen would put it.
 

benroe

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 29, 2011
Messages
10,521
an mep only party (ukip) will soon be history
If either or both of the main parties fight the next general election on a "go back" platform UKIPT could see massive gains.
 

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top