An moral and ethical conundrum for those who believe that human life begins at conception..........................

raetsel

An moral and ethical conundrum for those who believe that human life begins at conception..........................

Here's the hypothesis.
Imagine that you have been recently been incapacitated by a broken arm. You are currently visiting the IVF fertility which holds a frozen supply of human embryos belonging to you and your partner. A huge fire suddenly breaks out. As you race to the exit and safety you pass a doorway where you see a two-year-old infant crying hysterically. As you stop to lift her and carry her to safety you spot a container labelled "1000 viable frozen embryos belonging to ...................." - your name is on the jar. You realise that with your one good arm you can either lift the infant and carry her to safety or you can save the embryos, but you cannot carry both, and you realise that there will not be time to return a second time.
Do you save the infant or the embryos?

Half Nelson

Easy!
You don't waste your time on sombody else's fantastical imaginings.

(Merc will be along shortly to play your game :D).

Northsideman

Here's the hypothesis.
Imagine that you have been recently been incapacitated by a broken arm. You are currently visiting the IVF fertility which holds a frozen supply of human embryos belonging to you and your partner. A huge fire suddenly breaks out. As you race to the exit and safety you pass a doorway where you see a two-year-old infant crying hysterically. As you stop to lift her and carry her to safety you spot a container labelled "1000 viable frozen embryos belonging to ...................." - your name is on the jar. You realise that with your one good arm you can either lift the infant and carry her to safety or you can save the embryos, but you cannot carry both, and you realise that there will not be time to return a second time.
Have you been drinking?

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
Here's the hypothesis.
When it comes to potential humans vs. actual humans I don't understand where the moral confusion could come from.

Beachcomber

Here's the hypothesis.

If this is about abortion the scenario would be more one of - "do you save the infant, or do you take a crowbar and destroy the embryos in the time available"?

Bill

Do you have to save one of them?

raetsel

When it comes to potential humans vs. actual humans I don't understand where the moral confusion could come from.
Nor do I. But this is an exercise for those who believe that an embryo has the same rights as you or I.

Lonewolfe

Not much of a conundrum. Thinking, feeling, sentient being or glass of embryos?

Half Nelson

Coward, as usual, run away. :)
If you want to be led by the nose then knock yourself out.
I'm betting you won't be able to justify your answers here either.:)

Beachcomber

Nor do I. But this is an exercise for those who believe that an embryo has the same rights as you or I.
What rights are involved in this case?

You do realise that people like firemen face similar decisions all the time - they can't save everyone, so they have to prioritize. Is there some right to be saved during a fire?

Beachcomber

Not much of a conundrum. Thinking, feeling, sentient being or glass of embryos?
Did you not read the scenario - they are embryos that involve the person with the broken arm.

The scenario is more to do with, do you save a stranger or members of your own family?

Half Nelson

I think we are going to flush out a lot of moral cowards with this exercise.
When you have to construct your own carefully controlled scenario in lieu of justifying your position in the light of reality, it's clear where the moral cowardice lies.

Congalltee

Unoriginal, uncredited and irrelevant “conundrum”.
Im fascinated as to why some internet users think it’s a killer point in a debate about protecting a developing foetus (aka baby) which tends not to co-exist and compete for life with a born infant, or an embryo for that matter.

Last edited:

Lonewolfe

Did you not read the scenario - they are embryos that involve the person with the broken arm.

The scenario is more to do with, do you save a stranger or members of your own family?
Oh right, I didn't get that.

Same answer.

Beachcomber

Do you have to save one of them?
A good point.

Say there wasn't a baby there, but rather a pregnant mother. She says to you "forget me, save the embryos".

Do you follow her instruction on the basis of being pro-choice (a woman's choice) and do what she says? It's her body after all.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies