• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

An open apology from a user of Politics.ie

ShoutingIsLeadership

Freedom of speech and expression is a vital part of a healthy, functioning democracy.

With such freedom, comes the right of others to express opinions which might not be what one might consider to be consistent with what is commonly understood to be within the parameters of 'good taste'.

Good taste is difficult to define, and I will defend the right of anybody to express genuinely held opinions. However, that does not mean I will forgo my right to criticise those opinions where I disagree with them.

I disagree with much of what was posted on this website yesterday following the announcement of the death of Shane McEntee. In order not to promote the 'thread' in which the comments were made, I effectively avoided posting in the thread.

Members of this site, as opposed to casual observors, have access to a feedback section of the site - this allows us to comment on issues relating to the site, but these comments remain invisible to those who have not 'signed in' to the site. This section of the site was used by many to express disgust at what was said yesterday. Many of us are embarrassed and disgusted today.

This, however, results in a catch 22 for posters who wish to publicly distance themselves and the site from comments - by commenting on the publicly visible thread, they provide oxygen to the less than tasteful comments made by some posters.

On my own behalf, I wish to apologise for the offence caused by this site yesterday. I issue the apology on my own behalf because I cannot speak for others. However, I feel a duty to speak up and use my freedom of speech to make that apology, because as a user of this site, I have a duty to ensure its proper running.

Doubtless, there will be people who try to use this thread to give effect to their freedom to spread their bile. For this reason, this will be my only comment, other than to 'bump' the thread where necessary.

If people agree with this post, I would ask that they merely post a +1 and do not return to the thread (perhaps other than to bump it).

bob3367

+1

ShoutingIsLeadership

Please do not apologise for anyone other than yourself.

Freedom of speech whether it galls you or not.
From the OP:

On my own behalf, I wish to apologise for the offence caused by this site yesterday. I issue the apology on my own behalf because I cannot speak for others.

Mossy Heneberry

From the OP:

I feel a duty to speak up and use my freedom of speech to make that apology, because as a user of this site, I have a duty to ensure its proper running.

You are getting confusing. Just because you have a right to freedom of speech, doesn't mean you have to go around and apologise when others abuse/use it.

Why do you think it is your duty that this site is run properly? Are you a mod perhaps?

corporal punishment

You didn't cause any offense so why are you apologising. I agree with your sentiments but disagree with the title of your post. You should have titled it as an objection to yesterdays events. You'd be on much more solid ground then. To repeat, I agree with your sentiments of the OP.

Last edited:

Ribeye

Freedom of speech and expression is a vital part of a healthy, functioning democracy.

With such freedom, comes the right of others to express opinions which might not be what one might consider to be consistent with what is commonly understood to be within the parameters of 'good taste'.

Good taste is difficult to define, and I will defend the right of anybody to express genuinely held opinions. However, that does not mean I will forgo my right to criticise those opinions where I disagree with them.

I disagree with much of what was posted on this website yesterday following the announcement of the death of Shane McEntee. In order not to promote the 'thread' in which the comments were made, I effectively avoided posting in the thread.

Members of this site, as opposed to casual observors, have access to a feedback section of the site - this allows us to comment on issues relating to the site, but these comments remain invisible to those who have not 'signed in' to the site. This section of the site was used by many to express disgust at what was said yesterday. Many of us are embarrassed and disgusted today.

This, however, results in a catch 22 for posters who wish to publicly distance themselves and the site from comments - by commenting on the publicly visible thread, they provide oxygen to the less than tasteful comments made by some posters.

On my own behalf, I wish to apologise for the offence caused by this site yesterday. I issue the apology on my own behalf because I cannot speak for others. However, I feel a duty to speak up and use my freedom of speech to make that apology, because as a user of this site, I have a duty to ensure its proper running.

Doubtless, there will be people who try to use this thread to give effect to their freedom to spread their bile. For this reason, this will be my only comment, other than to 'bump' the thread where necessary.

If people agree with this post, I would ask that they merely post a +1 and do not return to the thread (perhaps other than to bump it).
Sorry Sil, you know iv no beef with you, and it's a nice OP,

But,

I will not accept criticism from the posters on Boards.ie, which has zero, repeat, zero respect for FoS,

Nor will I accept criticism from scumbag jounalists from the disgracefully corrupt Irish media,

And I especially won't accept criticism from fckn politicians, from any party,

No comment posted here yesterday, not one, was even 1% as bad as what Mr McEntee's own constituency colleague said this lunchtime on Claire Byrnes "Airhead Hour" on Rte, and her comments were presumably sanctioned, if not dictated, by FG HQ,

I obviously do not wish any additional anguish on the mans family, and I don't want to derail this thread,

But if those scumbags listed above want to wag their fingers at this site, they can expect to have them bitten off!

TommyO'Brien

+1

Tough Paddy

That Meath east by election thread and the comments contained within and in particular in the last few pages of the thread are now serving as a perfect illustration of all that is wrong with P.ie!

Some of the vile comments made by posters in that thread are the kind of comments that only a scumbag could be proud off!

old westie

+1

cllr

Those of us who engage in a discussion whether on line or in person have an obligation to have normal civil manners some of the postings on Politics.ie have sadly been disgusting.

+1

PUFF DADDY

Sorry Sil, you know iv no beef with you, and it's a nice OP,

But,

I will not accept criticism from the posters on Boards.ie, which has zero, repeat, zero respect for FoS,

Nor will I accept criticism from scumbag jounalists from the disgracefully corrupt Irish media,

And I especially won't accept criticism from fckn politicians, from any party,

No comment posted here yesterday, not one, was even 1% as bad as what Mr McEntee's own constituency colleague said this lunchtime on Claire Byrnes "Airhead Hour" on Rte, and her comments were presumably sanctioned, if not dictated, by FG HQ,

I obviously do not wish any additional anguish on the mans family, and I don't want to derail this thread,

But if those scumbags listed above want to wag their fingers at this site, they can expect to have them bitten off!
You really need to calm down :|

SIL - I agree with your OP & TBH the behaviour on this site has gone to gutter level, more so since Dave left and yesterday's threads and the continuance of the meath by election thread today, is becoming the final straw for me & I think it is time for me to move on from p.ie.