• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

An open goal missed by the government?

MacCoise2

Surely the government and Labour in particular will be rueing a missed opportunity today.

The referendum should have been an achievement, a box ticked-something to win over wavering supporters.

A good progressive concrete thing they can point to.

Instead I sense they must be fuming at the cloud hanging over the result and its their own fault.

Their arrogance in trying to push the limits of the McKenna ruling and their inability to persaude people to take 5 minutes out of their saturday has turned this into a missed opprtunity at least if not an own goal....

Or will people forget about the governmemnt's blundering and just remember the result?

wombat

Or will people forget about the governmemnt's blundering and just remember the result?
Considering 2 out of 3 couldn't be bothered voting, I'd bet on amnesia.

sic transit

You make it sound as if the proposal was lost. I heard a rumour it passed.

Teabag

The next referendum should be to kick Donegal out of the Republic. They are clearly not on 'our' wavelength...

SAY NO TO DONEGAL!

sic transit

Indeed they could join the new Republic of Dublin North West.

MacCoise2

You make it sound as if the proposal was lost. I heard a rumour it passed.
Not at all, I was quite clear. I voted Yes and am glad it passed but dont you think the government would have been hoping for a more positive news day today than questions over legitimacy, cheating and low turnout?

cricket

Surely the government and Labour in particular will be rueing a missed opportunity today.

The referendum should have been an achievement, a box ticked-something to win over wavering supporters.

Instead I sense they must be fuming at the cloud hanging over the result and its their own fault.

Their arrogance in trying to push the limits of the McKenna ruling and their inability to persaude people to take 5 minutes out of their saturday has turned this into a missed opprtunity at least if not an own goal....

Not sure I understand what's being said here. If you're saying the referendum should have been fought on a pro and anti government basis, then I think you're definitely wrong. The issue was what mattered, not who was for or against.

Iarmhi Gael

As much as you blame FG & Labour - I think SF missed a trick by not backing the NO side for the hell of it and claimed ownership of the 42% who voted no. SF are way off being politically mature imo.

MacCoise2

Not sure I understand what's being said here. If you're saying the referendum should have been fought on a pro and anti government basis, then I think you're definitely wrong. The issue was what mattered, not who was for or against.
Are you saying you really dont get the point or are you just ignoring it?

My point is about the political impact of the referendum. I think the government were hoping for a clear-cut good news story for them pre-budget. That didnt happen.

sic transit

Not at all, I was quite clear. I voted Yes and am glad it passed but dont you think the government would have been hoping for a more positive news day today than questions over legitimacy, cheating and low turnout?
I do agree that the debacle on Thursday should have been avoided but unfortunately there is nothing that can realistically be done if people can't be bothered to vote. Had the vote been at say even 40% the margin would have been a lot wider. I do think the cheating claptrap is to be expected given that no-one against the proposal really articulated compelling concerns.

lying eyes

After Tuesday we will not hear of it again-a load of cods wallop, with about one third of the voters,bothering their ass. That speaks for itself.

GDPR

Not really, it's not their referendum, it was arrived at by all party committee over donkeys years.

Shqiptar

As much as you blame FG & Labour - I think SF missed a trick by not backing the NO side for the hell of it and claimed ownership of the 42% who voted no. SF are way off being politically mature imo.

Sinn Féin will have won a lot of respect from neutrals for their stance.

Iarmhi Gael

Because they didnt take the anti-government position for the "hell of it"?
Aye - Sure SF are populist with everything else - why not?

Sinn Fein should have went to the NO side and saw a NO vote as a point against the government (which is why Donegal voted No) - SF lost out here big time. for once they could have claimed high poll percentages.

SF are great at confusing the people with spin and BS. They missed a trick here

Dorcha

I only got the government booklet; the referendum commission's booklet never arrived. For a few days I presumed it was the commission's booklet and I wondered why it seemed biased towards yes. Then I looked at the lower left side of the cover. (Note to self: do not be so bloody stupid as to trust any government ever again)

This is the second time they have done this, and they were caught out the first time, as well. The only conclusion one can draw is either that they are a stupid government or they simply do not care. Stupid people do not learn. On the other hand, the government suffered no consequences from what happened the last time: they were not required to pay back the public money they had used to promote their own agenda, so they rightly judged that there would be on consequences this time, either.

Is it possible that some one could get some legislation passed now that would forbid the use of public money in any future referenda? If they want to campaign, let them dip into their own fat pockets.

MacCoise2

Not really, it's not their referendum, it was arrived at by all party committee over donkeys years.
Pfft. Fianna Fail had plenty of time to do something about it and they didnt which is exactly the point.

This was supposed to show a government in action followng through on commitments but they came very close to blowing it.

MacCoise2

Aye - Sure SF are populist with everything else - why not?

Sinn Fein should have went to the NO side and saw a NO vote as a point against the government (which is why Donegal voted No) - SF lost out here big time. for once they could have claimed high poll percentages.

SF are great at confusing the people with spin and BS. They missed a trick here
I really dont know what to say to that crap.

GDPR

Pfft. Fianna Fail had plenty of time to do something about it and they didnt which is exactly the point.

This was supposed to show a government in action followng through on commitments but they came very close to blowing it.
There was something inaccurate in my post you say?