• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

An Post 2012 operating loss of 17.5 million.(40m loss if pensions included) They want to increase prices.

YesSireeeBob

An Post 2012 operating loss of 17.5 million.(40m loss if pensions included) They want to increase prices.

An Post reports loss of

Not sure what an post can do, they've reduced staff by 1,284 since the beginning of 2009 and will cut by 2,600 by the end of 2016.

I presume with less staff the service will get worse and if they increase prices less people will use their services.

One thing they can do is have better opening hours - esp on a Saturday and stop closing for lunch.

drummed

I got a large spare part for a machine delivered by courier from Sligo to Kilkenny overnight for a tenner last week. Can An Post compete with this? I doubt it and the guy who runs that company is'nt on 500k per annum either i'm guessing.

Tin Foil Hat

I got a large spare part for a machine delivered by courier from Sligo to Kilkenny overnight for a tenner last week. Can An Post compete with this? I doubt it and the guy who runs that company is'nt on 500k per annum either i'm guessing.
An post charge us €5 plus VAT for a parcel up to 30kg.

Sync

Start offering mortgages (BOI do this for UK Post). Open proper hours on Saturday and Sunday.

But that's ultimately just eating around the edges. Similar to the bus service, we've got to accept that if we want to be able to send letters from BallyGoBackwards to Borrisonossary, while you can minimise costs as best you can, it's not going to be as profitable as running it like an independent ongoing business.

hmmm

What do they expect? No culture of customer service, and the first chance that people had to use other providers they took it.

In my case An Post have done the following:
- Won't deliver Amazon parcels at all - instead drop in "you were out" notices even when we were there.
- Parcels can only be collected during working hours Monday to Friday - so I have to take time off work to collect them.
- The local collection centre was closed, and to collect a parcel now you have to travel miles to the middle of nowhere.

So no, with this attitude of customer service I don't see how they can survive. They can increase prices as much as they want, as long as the taxpayer doesn't have to subsidise them.

Ribeye

Firstly, the loss of €40m isn't the shocking figure, it's the fact that the loss was made despite revenues of €800m,

IT COSTS €840m TO RUN AN POST??????

Secondly, what sort of idiots, when losing money, decide to increase prices, instead of cutting costs,

Sell it, for whatever we can get,

Which won't be much,

ffc

If you live out in the country couriers are a waste of time, they ring you up, lost and try and get you to travel to a nearby town/landmark to meet them. Whereas the local postie knows where everyone lives and, as others point out, is cheaper.

tigerben

Just noticed last week the price of a stamp went up 5c to 60c, where else would you get a increase like that ? Our own post man is great , and if no one is home in our estate he leaves the parcel with me to deliver when I see a car ! Saves the neighbours plenty of time.

wishywashy

Firstly, the loss of €40m isn't the shocking figure, it's the fact that the loss was made despite revenues of €800m,

IT COSTS €840m TO RUN AN POST??????

Secondly, what sort of idiots, when losing money, decide to increase prices, instead of cutting costs,

Sell it, for whatever we can get,

Which won't be much,

"Sell it,for whatever WE can get". Whats the WE about?

peader odonnell

Start offering mortgages (BOI do this for UK Post). Open proper hours on Saturday and Sunday.

But that's ultimately just eating around the edges. Similar to the bus service, we've got to accept that if we want to be able to send letters from BallyGoBackwards to Borrisonossary, while you can minimise costs as best you can, it's not going to be as profitable as running it like an independent ongoing business.
My local post office opens 10-1 on Saturdays.

asknoquestions

They should reduce delivery to rural areas to every second day, that's probably where their biggest costs are.

Ren84

Turn An Post into the national savings and loans bank, and shut down AIB and BOI. Sorted.

drummed

If you live out in the country couriers are a waste of time, they ring you up, lost and try and get you to travel to a nearby town/landmark to meet them. Whereas the local postie knows where everyone lives and, as others point out, is cheaper.
Sort of. Mine guy knows where i am at this stage.

Sync has a point. It is a public service and so may not always be viable if you want Mrs Mulligan to get her pension in the local office in Dingle. Selling it off is'nt a good idea as the service would be provided where it makes a profit and no developed country can be without a postal service that works and covers the whole country. Try telling a potential foreign investor "we have a semi-functioning postal service. It covers the main towns anyway".

darkhorse

Cut postal deliveries to 2 or 3 times a week for residential receivers
A daily service is not required in residential areas
Obvious really and could save millions

wishywashy

I'd say the company which gave you that price wont be around for too long more. And I doubt if the guy who runs it is on 5k never mind 500k.

drummed

Cut postal deliveries to 2 or 3 times a week for residential receivers
A daily service is not required in residential areas
Obvious really and could save millions
The postmen and women will still exist and so will their vans? You'll only save the petrol which is'nt a lot in a Renault van. Your plan will save little.

Catalpast

An Post reports loss of

Not sure what an post can do, they've reduced staff by 1,284 since the beginning of 2009 and will cut by 2,600 by the end of 2016.

I presume with less staff the service will get worse and if they increase prices less people will use their services.

One thing they can do is have better opening hours - esp on a Saturday and stop closing for lunch.
They have increased the prices of stamps this month from 55 to 60c and 85 to 90c

wishywashy

They should reduce delivery to rural areas to every second day, that's probably where their biggest costs are.

Why should people in rural areas be deprived of the same service as urban dwellers when prices are the same for both?

asknoquestions

The postmen and women will still exist and so will their vans? You'll only save the petrol which is'nt a lot in a Renault van. Your plan will save little.
They'd have more time so they could do deliveries on bikes. A lot of post in Europe is delivered that way.

drummed

I'd say the company which gave you that price wont be around for too long more. And I doubt if the guy who runs it is on 5k never mind 500k.
DPD formally known as Interlink? Been around a while, don't think they're leaving any time soon.