An Post closing 159 post offices

TheField

An Post are proposing the closure of 159 rural post offices by year end, if they get their way. https://static.rasset.ie/documents/news/2018/08/list-of-closing-post-offices.pdf

Mildly surprised on checking in here that there doesn't seem to be any discussion around this. Probably says something about the demographic & geographical distribution of p.ie posters..

It's clearly going to be a bit of a hot political issue for a while but I suspect the fuss will die down once the grandstanding is out of the way and these offices will mostly close as have many others in recent years.

I'm not sure what to make of it at this stage. The basic problem is that people are using their local rural POs less and less. They get up in a heap when closure is on the cards but they haven't been darkening the doors when it is open.

That said, access to a post office is important for some rural businesses and An Post is simply cutting their costs here but passing them onto their regular customers who now must travel sometimes considerably further. Then there's the issue of the elderly and/or those without transport having to arrange weekly travel to collect social welfare payments or pay bills etc. There is generally no public transport in most of rural Ireland so it'll be down to the grace of relatives and neighbours to pick up An Posts cost savings.

McRedmond says that 96%+ of citizens are unaffected - a case you'd suspect of damn lies and statistics. There are no closures in urban areas where the bulk of the population live, so the proportional disruption to rural people is much greater.

To put this into context for Dubliners - imagine living in Dalkey, Howth or Tallaght and being required to go to O'Connell Street just to post a parcel or buy a few stamps, collect a pension and then home again. Without any public transport.

ruserious

It's all about demand. One guy on the news said last night that he regrets not using the service more. The government should allow more regular shops sell stamps and have a post box outside for posting.

McTell

Twitter
No
100 years back we had cyclists delivering telegrams and taking replies 4 times a day... not much slower than emails.

automaticforthepeople

Most of the post masters use the Post Office as an add on to their shop. The reality is that pensioners in rural areas are over charged in these shops and now can access their pensions on line and they've had enough of these sub post offices.
Many of the original appointees of the post office were political decisions to FF or FG supporters whose children or in some cases grandchildren hold on to the fanchise. Now they're taking a voluntary severance package.

In one case in Wexford one of the post office mistresses ran in the last election on the campaign to retain the post offices and she was just 2 years later one of the first to volunteer for the package.
The reality is that existing contracts could have been retained by any post master or mistress.

Johnny Zordan

Ireland is the only country in the western world that pays out social welfare payments in cash through post offices, Discuss

PBP voter

[video=youtube;On3cQ0sPvSY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On3cQ0sPvSY[/video]

PBP voter

They offer a current account.

€5 a month maintenance. 60 cent per ATM use.

Why would any pensioner use them?

Schuhart

To put this into context for Dubliners - imagine living in Dalkey, Howth or Tallaght and being required to go to O'Connell Street just to post a parcel or buy a few stamps, collect a pension and then home again. Without any public transport.
The reference to a lack of public transport in rural areas is a canard. Irish rural dwellers tend to live in the countryside, rather than in rural villages. So its not really about closing an office that they could walk to; its about closing an office they needed a car/taxi/lift to get to anyway.

So its more like imagine living in Greystones (without public transport), and being told your local office in Rathmines is closing so now you'll need to go to O'Connell Street. No material difference to anyone.
In one case in Wexford one of the post office mistresses ran in the last election on the campaign to retain the post offices and she was just 2 years later one of the first to volunteer for the package.
That's a truth of it. Its a complete non-issue.

Half Nelson

I try my best to avoid the po. In a word - "service".
If there isn't a queue they'll do their best to make one.

TheField

Most of the post masters use the Post Office as an add on to their shop. The reality is that pensioners in rural areas are over charged in these shops and now can access their pensions on line and they've had enough of these sub post offices.
That's true and I always find myself buying a few things when I go to the PO. It's called supporting local businesses!

They offer a current account.

€5 a month maintenance. 60 cent per ATM use.

Why would any pensioner use them?
Agreed, An Post management live in some parallel world. They have well paid public servants who dream up schemes like this that you'd just laugh at, rip off merchants. They rarely/ never respond to customer queries and should mostly be fired for gross incompetence and public disservice.

I try my best to avoid the po. In a word - "service". If there isn't a queue they'll do their best to make one.
And the queues get longer as they amalgamate more offices. What was a 5 minute job becomes 15 & 20 minutes plus all the extra mileage. As an aside, you'd be amazed too at the piles of €50 notes being slapped down on the counter for social welfare claims - I counted 17 recently plus smaller notes to just one claimant, for one week.

So its more like imagine living in Greystones (without public transport), and being told your local office in Rathmines is closing so now you'll need to go to O'Connell Street. No material difference to anyone.That's a truth of it. Its a complete non-issue.
True, travel is often required. But there would be a cohort of customers who live near enough to walk/ cycle and they now have to travel where they didn't before.

The bottom line though is that some of the people complaining loudest about PO closures would only be seen in their local PO on very rare occasions. They haven't been putting their money where their mouths are.

Dame_Enda

I've had a look at the list and it seems less extreme than I initially thought. My elderly mother lives halfway between two post offices about 5 minutes apart. Its overkill to have 2 that close. One of them it seems is remaining open.

PAGE61

Bottom line .. money is been moved electronically
Unfortunately this will not be reversed .

Orbit v2

100 years back we had cyclists delivering telegrams and taking replies 4 times a day... not much slower than emails.
Well it is really though, which is the problem. Flat mail is a dying business. It is dropping year by year and sooner or later will be gone. An Post knows this. The only future is parcels and packages which naturally will be more expensive, and whatever services they can run out of the remaining post offices.

LISTOWEL MAN

i love Tralee post office

people walk in and do their transactions, no gossip no nonsense

the opposite of rural ireland

Bea C

i love Tralee post office

people walk in and do their transactions, no gossip no nonsense

the opposite of rural ireland
That's cause there are so many non-nationals.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies