An Post closing 159 post offices

Lagertha

Tis all grand, shure they've spent millions rebranding to attract Millennial's who probably never have and never will set foot in a post office.

jimbohane

I think that it is very wrong that postmasters who ran a public service for years and who were forced to close their offices because An Post said they were unsustainable are thrown on the waste heap and then an individual is given 3 offices to manage on contract even though for geographical reasons he can only manage one at any time. Is the amount he is getting paid for managing each office available to the public given that An Post has been in receipt of government funding?

Barroso

I think that it is very wrong that postmasters who ran a public service for years and who were forced to close their offices because An Post said they were unsustainable are thrown on the waste heap and then an individual is given 3 offices to manage on contract even though for geographical reasons he can only manage one at any time. Is the amount he is getting paid for managing each office available to the public given that An Post has been in receipt of government funding?
When's the election due?

LISTOWEL MAN

Post office in an Urban area (Tralee)
i walked and queued up i was waiting 30 seconds the lady at the counter said 'Next please' i went up and told her i wanted to post a package she asked me do you want to post it regular or with tracking i decided tracking , she weighed the package and said that will be 11 euro i gave her 20 euro she issued the receipt , she gave me my change and said here you go i said thanks and walked out. Altogether posting the package took less than 2 minutes

Post office in a Rural area (outside Tralee)
i walked in and queued up, i was waiting 10 minutes. The person in front of me wasn't doing any transaction they were just standing there talking rubbish. When i got to the counter the person didn't leave the post office they just stood around listening. The lady at the counter asked about one of my relatives are they still in Australia??? i told her i wanted to post a package she weighed it . Oh it's light that won't cost much so it won't!!! . she weighed it again to double check the weight . Now will we send it regular post or will we send it with tracking? i decided regular she weighed it for a third time and starting pressing buttons to issue the receipt she stopped and had to start over because she had selected Australia as destination, Oh sorry about that I'm so used to people sendin' stuff to Australia!!! she weighed the package for the fourth time. That will be 6 euro . i gave her 10 euro she issued the receipt and gave me my change . i said thanks as i walked out the nosy person was still there.

Lagertha

I was in my local post office on Wednesday, it's a busy town and at 10.30 there was one person serving while the queue gradually wound it's way out the door. Where the other staff that are usually behind the counter where I don't know? Maybe they all took a break at the same time, the humidity was horrendous and the young girl was doing her best. Funny how since it was privatised here that all the new employees are women.

redneck

The Little island Cork mail center is to close, totally in 2020.

Lagertha

The Little island Cork mail center is to close, totally in 2020.
According to An Post there has been an annual 7% drop in letters being posted, they responded to that by increasing the cost of stamps year on year. To post a standard letter to Europe now starts at 1.70 and a standard letter sent to an Irish address costs 1 euro an A4 letter will cost you 2 euro to post. It's insanity and I don't expect the increase last February to be the last.

I used to buy a book of 10 international stamps but I stopped because the cost was going up before I could use them each year. They aren't competitive and the money wasted on the rebranding of the Post Office is disgraceful, there was no need for it. I dread to think how much money they wasted paying some Marketing Firm to come up with this nonsense.

Round tower

Post office in an Urban area (Tralee)
i walked and queued up i was waiting 30 seconds the lady at the counter said 'Next please' i went up and told her i wanted to post a package she asked me do you want to post it regular or with tracking i decided tracking , she weighed the package and said that will be 11 euro i gave her 20 euro she issued the receipt , she gave me my change and said here you go i said thanks and walked out. Altogether posting the package took less than 2 minutes

Post office in a Rural area (outside Tralee)
i walked in and queued up, i was waiting 10 minutes. The person in front of me wasn't doing any transaction they were just standing there talking rubbish. When i got to the counter the person didn't leave the post office they just stood around listening. The lady at the counter asked about one of my relatives are they still in Australia??? i told her i wanted to post a package she weighed it . Oh it's light that won't cost much so it won't!!! . she weighed it again to double check the weight . Now will we send it regular post or will we send it with tracking? i decided regular she weighed it for a third time and starting pressing buttons to issue the receipt she stopped and had to start over because she had selected Australia as destination, Oh sorry about that I'm so used to people sendin' stuff to Australia!!! she weighed the package for the fourth time. That will be 6 euro . i gave her 10 euro she issued the receipt and gave me my change . i said thanks as i walked out the nosy person was still there.
The person in the que who u say was talking nonsense, it might be nonsese to u but it might have being the only person who they may have talked to that day or for a couple of days, in rural PO they not only provide a business but they provide a social medium as well.
As for the women serving who inquired about a relative of yours in Australia, these know their customers and their family, if one of their costumers had not being seen for a couple of days, they would inquire were they sick or unwell, if they still they did not come in, they would be worried and contact people about their concerns to voice their concerns. Also their has been a number of people who has being drawing the SW for family some for years, u would not get that in rural PO.
In a PO in a big town or city u would never be missed, u are just a customer

LISTOWEL MAN

The person in the queue who you say was talking nonsense, it might be nonsense to you but it might have been the only person they talked to for a couple of days
He is not an elderly person, he talks to people day in day out, he has no shortage of friends and you wouldn't want his friends outside your door

LISTOWEL MAN

30 million down the drain

Buchaill Dana

The person in the que who u say was talking nonsense, it might be nonsese to u but it might have being the only person who they may have talked to that day or for a couple of days, in rural PO they not only provide a business but they provide a social medium as well.
As for the women serving who inquired about a relative of yours in Australia, these know their customers and their family, if one of their costumers had not being seen for a couple of days, they would inquire were they sick or unwell, if they still they did not come in, they would be worried and contact people about their concerns to voice their concerns. Also their has been a number of people who has being drawing the SW for family some for years, u would not get that in rural PO.
In a PO in a big town or city u would never be missed, u are just a customer
I object to funding some auld culchie social circle. Thats not the puropse of the service and gasbagging absolutely is not justifcation to keep PO's open.

When they close, the gossips will move to another social hub

jimbohane

The amount of money spend on keeping rural post offices open which averages just over 10k per office pales in comparison with what this company spends paying their office staff and executives based in Dublin. As far as I am aware postmasters in these offices are paid on the volume of business the do starting with a minimum of 10k . So if an office is not able to keep business up to a certain level they only get the minimum which is equivalent to the dole. In the headquarters of An Post jobs are constantly being created at senior level with fancy titles just so that employees can earn more money and this is okay with the unions who are on board. To fund this the company just increases the postage rates and the government is happy to facilitate to keep the unions happy and to hell with the public who are paying for their excesses. I would put them in the same category as RTE in this respect of cronyism and nepotism. Closing rural post offices is just their way of saying to the government we are trying to cut costs and implement savings and these isolated individuals are soft targets. The unions don't give a damn about an old lady in Sligo whose family have been operating a post office since the foundation of the state getting thrown onto the scrap heap but dare you suggest getting rid of any of their Dublin staff and all hell breaks loose.

Last edited:

making waves

Most European postal systems are privatised - and still receive a higher state subsidy than An Post.

Round tower

Who knew that so much of the licence fee went to the Posties.
On the RTE news at 13.00, they were discussing the new plans, they said that the licence fee is distributedd to RTE, TGR and Indepent tv stations, whch is a laugh as only a fraction if any goes to anyone else

PatrickSmithUS

The thing that scares me most about this is the continued attempts of the current Government to shift everything to Urban centres.

Surely to God the first thing that should have been sorted out was the broadband network and then, if Post Offices and other local services don't justify the staffing expenses at least there would be potential for an online replacement - coupled with a daily pick up, and drop off of envelopes & postal materials.

To get a first time passport you a child you can only do it through the local post office along with a range of other services. There's be no one left west of the Galway city the way things are going.

New Threads

Most Replies