An Post musuem curator advocates ditching of the old iron street post boxes

nationalsday

RTE reports that An Post have been asked by the Minister of the Environment to preserve the old post style iron post boxes

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2017/1026/915308-post-boxes/

An Post museum curator says ditch 'em because they're past their sell by date and postmen have to bend too much to empty them.

I say keep them, they are interesting and nostalgic and they're not that much of an imposition

Mitsui2

I agree with you, but I'd also like to point out the elegant brevity of the post as an OP -

*states its subject
*gives a link for further reading
* offers the poster's own opinion

What more could anyone want?

brughahaha

slightly OT but theres a house on Collins Avenue with a complete p+T phonebox in its front garden ....always makes me smile when i drive past

I hope they keep them ...there are a few lovely ones set in walls around clontarf , i always enjoy checking the sovereign that was in charge on the really old ones ...couple left from vickys reign I think

milipod

I agree with you, but I'd also like to point out the elegant brevity of the post as an OP -

*states its subject
*gives a link for further reading
* offers the poster's own opinion

What more could anyone want?
A postcard.

The Field Marshal

RTE reports that An Post have been asked by the Minister of the Environment to preserve the old post style iron post boxes

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2017/1026/915308-post-boxes/

An Post museum curator says ditch 'em because they're past their sell by date and postmen have to bend too much to empty them.

I say keep them, they are interesting and nostalgic and they're not that much of an imposition
Horsepiss.

The post box has a door that opens and imsmr the lower level of that door is at least a foot off the ground probably more.
There is little to no "bending" involved and I have observed postmen empty these things without any difficulty or bending.

Having now amongst the most expensive mail in the world , at a euro for a stamp, the lunatics in an Post want to destroy all normal mail by restricting further the network of already scant post-boxes.

A bunch of clowns busily putting themselves out of a job.

Morgellons

Keep an eye out and see if you can spot boxes with VR, ER or Saorsat nEireann on them.

These boxes are still in use and are an interesting artefact of our social history.

Expose the lot of them

Keep an eye out and see if you can spot boxes with VR, ER or Saorsat nEireann on them.

These boxes are still in use and are an interesting artefact of our social history.
Those that have not been removed by An Post, we had two locally, one VR and and ER, they are "rationalised" into one ugly modern one in a new location that did not suit anyone.

themorrigan

Someone is pushing for an increase in the infrastructure budget.
And someone else is looking for the tender to sell a few thousand, new iTech equipped plastic bull************************ boxes.

runwiththewind

There's two near me that has VR and ER on them though the post office erected a new one near the second and left ER on the wall.

A little further on the road there's one of those old water pumps that still works.

pumpkinpie

The post boxes are iconic. If the postmen aren't capable of bending down maybe they shouldn't be postmen.

eoghanacht

First they came for the phone boxes....

Aindriu

There is a VR one in Glenageary.

silverharp

there used to be a few "painted green" ones where I live, years since Ive used one, they should get rid of them altogether

Aindriu

there used to be a few "painted green" ones where I live, years since Ive used one, they should get rid of them altogether
Philistine

FunkyBoogaloo

I say keep 'em. I still use them anyway. Love writing letters. Love writing, full stop. Rarely get any back though but I still like doing it (for penmanship mostly), and posting them off to unsuspecting recipients, regardless.

Filibuster

They need to be putting more postal services into convenient locations. Their ancestors did exactly that. The 19th century postal services were actually very innovative. They’ve just become stuck in the 19th century.

If they remove more boxes they need to come up with an alternative as people won’t just walk to the post office they’ll fill the form in on line or send an email instead.

If you want to preserve the postboxes as historical artifacts, maybe just keep a select few in prime locations?

The Field Marshal

I say keep 'em. I still use them anyway. Love writing letters. Love writing, full stop. Rarely get any back though but I still like doing it (for penmanship mostly), and posting them off to unsuspecting recipients, regardless.
Do you also like forking over one euro for a stamp on each letter?

Ireland now has one of the most expensive systems in the world for posting a standard letter.

Pure extortion to fund a state controlled monopoly.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies