An Post to issue stamp commemorating Fatima apparitions

O

Oscurito

Page 11 of the January 2017 issue of The Irish Stamp Collector lists An Post's stamp issue program for this year. Amid the usual worthy commemoration of anniversaries and some attractive sounding sets of four, one stands out: the release on October 12th of a stamp for the centenary of the Marian apparitions at Fatima in Portugal.

To my mind, there's no precedent for this. The Lourdes centenary wasn't marked by a stamp. Not even the centenary of the apparition at Knock here in Ireland got a stamp to mark it. So the marking of 100-year old religious event in Portugal may raise eyebrows in secular circles.

The Fatima apparitions are admittedly accorded major significance even today and became a singular focus in religious anti-Communist circles following the alleged statement by Our Lady that if Russia were not consecrated to her Immaculate Heart, she (Russia) would spread her Errors throughout the world. These statements were made during apparitions that occurred BEFORE the Bolshevik Revolution in the winter of 1917 and were taken subsequently to refer to Atheistic Communism.

Which leads neatly to the fact that An Post won't be commemorating those events in Russia in November 1917. However, the Marxists can take some comfort from the plan to issue a stamp marking the 50th anniversary of the death of Che Guevara on October 5th.

As an aside, according to today's Sunday Times, Dublin City Council will this year spend €30,000 commemorating Russia's Communist Revolution. I've seen no details yet of their plans for the Fatima Centenary.

PeaceGoalie

Page 11 of the January 2017 issue of The Irish Stamp Collector lists An Post's stamp issue program for this year. Amid the usual worthy commemoration of anniversaries and some attractive sounding sets of four, one stands out: the release on October 12th of a stamp for the centenary of the Marian apparitions at Fatima in Portugal.

To my mind, there's no precedent for this. The Lourdes centenary wasn't marked by a stamp. Not even the centenary of the apparition at Knock here in Ireland got a stamp to mark it. So the marking of 100-year old religious event in Portugal may raise eyebrows in secular circles.

The Fatima apparitions are admittedly accorded major significance even today and became a singular focus in religious anti-Communist circles following the alleged statement by Our Lady that if Russia were not consecrated to her Immaculate Heart, she (Russia) would spread her Errors throughout the world. These statements were made during apparitions that occurred BEFORE the Bolshevik Revolution in the winter of 1917 and were taken subsequently to refer to Atheistic Communism.

Which leads neatly to the fact that An Post won't be commemorating those events in Russia in November 1917. However, the Marxists can take some comfort from the plan to issue a stamp marking the 50th anniversary of the death of Che Guevara on October 5th.

As an aside, according to today's Sunday Times, Dublin City Council will this year spend €30,000 commemorating Russia's Communist Revolution. I've seen no details yet of their plans for the Fatima Centenary.
It is entirely appropriate to commemorate Fatima, where the Holy Father, Christ's Vicar on Earth, will visit on Saturday 13 May. It was a terrible "mistake" to remove the reference to the Catholic Church in our Constitution.
Guevara should not be commemorated. Castro sent him to Bolivia to die as He was a pain in the ass, who could do nothing right - except sell dumb t shirts in death.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com

There has always been a tradition of ultranationalism and god bothering in the choice of commemorative stamps by the Irish postal service.

cricket

Republic my posterior !

Nemesiscorporation

Probably a good idea to stop spreading the impression that all Irish have hallucinations.

Dame_Enda

This is the Religious Right in FG and FFs doing.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I want an Ecstatic Backwards Walking commemorative stamp. Or a little stamp with loads of eejits waiting for Holy Flyin' Mazza to put in an appearance at Ballywhassname in Cork that time.

Or they could do a hologram stamp where if you move it up and down in the light you can see a representation of HFM breakdancing.

Analyzer

Stamp it out.

....well somebody had to make the joke.....

Remembering a religious event is one thing - were those present imagining or was it real ? But it is essentially harmless on the scale of human history.

But spending money on an event in St.Petersburg/Petrograd/Leningrad which brought about untold musery and death us an entirely different matter altogether. Marx, Lenin, Trotsky, Stalin, Beria, Mao Zedong, Pol Pot, Erich Honnecker, Ceaucescu were all deeply flawed, psychologically dangerous thugs who inflicted evil on those under their control.

Actually I am astounded that the morons in DCC have decided to commemorate an even that led to the gulag and the Holodomor. They are more stupid that we could have imagined.

Half Nelson

The Fatima witnesses gave an eerily accurate prediction of wwii, even down to the timing of unexplained europe-wide phenomena.

On the hundreth anniversary, who knows what may occur.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Or a stamp with my namesake Lumpy Matt Talbot struggling along Clanbrassil Street with chains hanging out of his trouser-leg.

You could put some blood spots on the pavement behind him to really get the catholic frothery going.

Analyzer

Guevara should not be commemorated. Castro sent him to Bolivia to die as He was a pain in the ass, who could do nothing right - except sell dumb t shirts in death.
Guevara was a thug.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
The Fatima witnesses gave an eerily accurate prediction of wwii, even down to the timing of unexplained europe-wide phenomena.

On the hundreth anniversary, who knows what may occur.
No it didn't. Some lunatics claim it did but then there are people in the states who maintain that aliens hang around lonely country roads just waiting to analyse Jum-Bob with anal probes as representative of the human race. Which if they are interstellar travellers seems rather unlikely and a bit of an intellectual miss.

PeaceGoalie

You could put some blood spots on the pavement behind him to really get the catholic frothery going.
You certainly couldn't. Go back to paying with your dildo, you impotent, emasculated, powerless fool.

Analyzer

Or a stamp with my namesake Lumpy Matt Talbot struggling along Clanbrassil Street
It will not happen. This is arter's little island. You may as well form a lesbian political party in Tehran.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
You certainly couldn't. Go back to paying with your dildo, you impotent, emasculated, powerless fool.
An auntie has one in the shape of a madonna. But then she was always the religious one of the family. Funny you should mention it. Did you know her at all?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Next year An Post, in order to be entirely ecumenical, will be selling a commemorative stamp showing a fakir in India pissing up a rope that he has elevated by the power of the mind from a straw basket at his feet.

Hurray for ecumenicalism.

Half Nelson

No it didn't. Some lunatics claim it did but then there are people in the states who maintain that aliens hang around lonely country roads just waiting to analyse Jum-Bob with anal probes as representative of the human race. Which if they are interstellar travellers seems rather unlikely and a bit of an intellectual miss.
You can stamp and scweam all you want, but the evidence is there. The Fatima witnesses were spot on - over twenty years before the event.
I

ne0ica

I can see why this might be a problem for some.

To show that Ireland is now a multi cultural multi faith society lets issue a stamp with a picture of Mohammed.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I can see why this might be a problem for some.

To show that Ireland is now a multi cultural multi faith society lets issue a stamp with a picture of Mohammed.
Nope. F*ck that. Why not go the whole hog and have Superman accepting a bowl of shamrock.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies