• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

An Taoiseach, Eamon Gilmore?

Eamon Gilmore, in today's Sunday Independent, has raised the possibility of he himself becoming Taoiseach in a future coalition Government, rather than playing second fiddle. He has also declared that the Mullingar Accord is not going to be revived in another form, that 'Labour's clear objective is to lead, not to play a subordinate role' and that the changed circumstances now becoming apparent mean that 'We now exist in a new world, seeing huge changes where old questions about the Mullingar accord or who Labour will go in with are dead, they are adolescent.' This is a new approach for a Labour leader. Is it perhaps informed by a sense that we are now about to witness a departure from traditional civil war politics, with a move towards class-based politics and a possible opening for a slightly more radicalised Labour? Is the cosy consensus of the last 20 years now dead? And what would Gilmore be like as Taoiseach?...

Answers!!!!...

I want to be the next Taoiseach, reveals Labour leader Gilmore - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

SPN

Eamon Gilmore, in today's Sunday Independent, has raised the possibility of he himself becoming Taoiseach in a future coalition Government, rather than playing second fiddle.
He's just trying to raise his profile and hoping to make Labour seem relevant.

He has also declared that the Mullingar Accord is not going to be revived in another form, that 'Labour's clear objective is to lead, not to play a subordinate role' and that the changed circumstances now becoming apparent mean that 'We now exist in a new world, seeing huge changes where old questions about the Mullingar accord or who Labour will go in with are dead, they are adolescent.'
Labour are going to lead us where, exactly?

Their 2007 Manifesto was PD-Lite, their latest policy offerings are Green-Lite.

Why put in opportunist wannabees when you can have the full flavour alternative?

This is a new approach for a Labour leader. Is it perhaps informed by a sense that we are now about to witness a departure from traditional civil war politics, with a move towards class-based politics and a possible opening for a slightly more radicalised Labour? Is the cosy consensus of the last 20 years now dead?
It is a new PR approach aimed at winning over some people who voted FF previously - people who vote based on who would make the best Taoiseach. He is going to keep spinning this line in the hope that some people will swallow it.

It is informed by a sense of opportunism.

Class-Based Politics is a 19th Century creation and has no place in the 21st Century. We are facing a new set of problems and we need to get a Community Spirit going, not divisive class based (whatever that means in 2009) Grandstanding.

And what would Gilmore be like as Taoiseach?...

Answers!!!!...
A dithering, procrastinating, divisive, opportunist, Grandstander, if his antics to date are anything to go by.

It's just a pity that we can't have a Fine Gael led Government without these past their sell-by date plonkers doing everything they can to bugger things up.

TradCat

Labour won't be big enough but if they assembled an alliance of themselves the greens and Sinn Fein thy might pull it off. They could then go to FG and look for a deal. The problem is that FG won't wear SF. This giving Labour an excuse to go in with Finna Fail.

Christine Murray

Website
www.poethead.wordpress.com
Expedient swinging, accords and relationships of convenience have led to utter paralysis over a decade. nope Lab has gone into the centre and has lost its constituency. l cite Lisbon and Partnership as exemplifying complacency...yawn, bored now

Last edited:

Eurocitizen

I think Dick Spring suggested something similar before?
Well it is worth thinking about as a new concept in Irish politics that the minority party of a coalition runs the Government.

I personally think it is undemocratic

Lefronde

Why I won't vote Labour

In 1992, Labour won 33 seats in a general election, and within a month lost its credibility in my eyes forever.

(1) They promised change (not to support Albert Reynolds)

(2) They went into coalition with Fianna Fail and betrayed the independents who voted for them.

(3) They introduced programme managers to each minister, and helped to start the current malaise of super junior ministers, and beefed up portfolios.

(4) they showed they were quite adept at cronyism, and packed places like the EAT, Rights Commission and the institutes of technology

(5) when Albert Reynolds fell, they were going to do a deal with Bertie around the time of the manchester dig-out (but pulled the plug at the last minute, and this was never explained?)

(6) They will do a deal with Fianna Fail at the next election.

(6) There is a core of Stickies (Official IRA) still in the Labour Party who were involved in some very questionable and dodgy behaviour in the 1970's and '80s.

In '97 Labour were punished at the Ballot box, but unfortunately they didn't go the way of the PDs, which is a shame.

They great thing about Gilmore, is that I live in the same constituency, and don't have to vote for him. I got a leaflet in my mail box recently from him. It was all negative, with not one proposal about what he's going to do to improve the economy and governance in this country. Not one!

He's all fur coat and no knickers!

wombat

Gilmore will be Taoiseach if Labour win enough seats - I want to win the Lotto

sandar

they are hoping FF really suffer, and labour gain enough setas that the parties wouldnt be that far away in terms of seats, its a pitch for disillusiioned FF supporters. The idea of a rotating taoiseach is ludicrous, it creates a vacuum at the top, the man in charge can have no authority becauise if a minister or civil servant or whoever dont wish to do something they can delay it until the next taoiseach comes in, its a disastrous idea.

pfkf

I dont see, it Labour don't have the party base or organisation or indeed appeal outside of the cities. The most gains I could see for Labour is 4-5 which would leave Gilmore way off in terms of being the next Taoiseach.

As far as the figures stack up now, Enda Kenny will be the next Taoiseach.

SPN

I dont see, it Labour don't have the party base or organisation or indeed appeal outside of the cities. The most gains I could see for Labour is 4-5 which would leave Gilmore way off in terms of being the next Taoiseach.

As far as the figures stack up now, Enda Kenny will be the next Taoiseach.
Try Dermot Ahern with Gilmore as Tanaiste ;)

Question R24U

1 politically it is a good idea to float but would sink in reality
2 it brings out classic FG arrogance thereby providing an opportunity to labour to say that they don't respect them as equals.
3. If Labour were punished for going into coalition with FF IN 92 (as they myth would have us believe) why had they not redeemed themselves by jumping in 94? answer: it was their own attitude while in government (rather than incompetence it has to be said in fairness) that did them down.
4. Now gilmore has said he could (while holding his nose) work with FF so the justification for a backlash does not exist.
5. Can any labour tells up how many real candidates will labour run?
6how many labour TDs will have running mates imposed on them? - except in DL obviously

DaBrow

Labour won't ever get into power on their own.

They are just like the Lib Dems in the UK, filling up an empty space nobody wants or has lay vacant and forgotten about.

People in Ireland: Don't support Abortion on demand or any other dumbing down of moral authority.

The only chance Labour had was with Dick Spring, you turned your back on him when he rightly dared to criticize immigration 2 years ago.

DeGaulle 2.0

Website
ga.wikipedia.org
Looking at it purely from a mathematical point of view, FG should have 60+ seats at the next election if current opinion polls are borne out. No combination of Labour, Green, SF and independents are likely to exceed that.

I think that Gilmore is actually playing a dangerous game - the more he tries to be equidistant from FF and FG, the more he pushing voters who want a change of government to FG.

I understand that many on the Left would like to see a Left alternative to FF/FG, but there is also a certain amount of unreality involved. Look at Bavaria, governed by the CSU for 50+ years. If the "Left" succeeded in changing Irish elections to a "right (FF/FG)" v "left (Lab/Green/SF)" contest then there would never again be a Labour or Green minister in government.

wombat

I think that Gilmore is actually playing a dangerous game - the more he tries to be equidistant from FF and FG, the more he pushing voters who want a change of government to FG.
Its a gamble but you have to remember that its impossible to overestimate the opinion Gilmore has of himself - he believes he is another Dick Spring and that through his performance over the next year, people will vote for Labour just to have Eamonn in power.
Expect the Indo. & the other FF cronies in the media to build him up so that we end up with FF/Labour. This will allow a continuation of partnership - institutional cronyism.

Christine Murray

Website
www.poethead.wordpress.com
Its a gamble but you have to remember that its impossible to overestimate the opinion Gilmore has of himself - he believes he is another Dick Spring and that through his performance over the next year, people will vote for Labour just to have Eamonn in power.
Expect the Indo. & the other FF cronies in the media to build him up so that we end up with FF/Labour. This will allow a continuation of partnership - institutional cronyism.
That has little to do with the fact that mostly the very poor would run
professional politicians out of the estates. Getting elected involves having
an active ward and consituency management team (and grassroot activism).
that seems to be an FF/SF ability. Labour's constituency has been rebranded
into the centre-and like the Greens this means that they are cut off from
their grassroot and in a quite dangerous position electorally. It's not media
coverage that counts but work at grassroot level. Thats problematic
for Labour cos they did not provide effective info/opposition to
their constituency during the remarkable opposition period.

hiding behind a poster

It's just a pity that we can't have a Fine Gael led Government without these past their sell-by date plonkers doing everything they can to bugger things up.
So why was it your parliamentary party's first choice in 2007, as publicly expressed by all bar one of them in the final week of the campaign?

hiding behind a poster

That's a very relevant point. On the thread subject in general, if Gilmore wants to be Taoiseach he has to build a party capable of being the same size as either FF or FG. At the moment he's a million miles from that, as Labour simply do not have the organisation to challenge for seats across huge swatches of the country. And the notion, as expressed on some other threads, that Gilmore could go to FG post-election, and say "make me Taoiseach, or I'm off to FF" simply doesn't stack up.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies