Analogue TV signal to be switched off end of 2012 as "Saorview" launched today

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
The Minister for Communications Eamon Ryan today announced that 90% of the population are now able to receive a digital television signal.

The new service, called Saorview, broadcasts RTÉ ONE, RTÉ Two, TV3 and TG4, more channels are said to be launching soon.

Ryan has said the analogue signal (picked up by your aerial) will be switched off at the end of 2012, and the spectrum reallocation will be a €500 million "digital dividend" to the state over ten years. Over 1 million viewers currently use the analogue terrestrial television service in their homes.

You can view the Saorview website here: SAORVIEW

Red_93

I've had this for about 2 years. TV3 doesn't work on it tho.

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
If you've a tv with MPEG4 you'd have been able to pick up DTT test signals. The newer televisions tend to be setup for them (just like ones in the UK are setup for Freeview - but that's MPEG2 rather than MPEG4).

I bought an MPEG4 tv but it wasn't working, there's no way I was going to stick an ugly aerial into a nice shiny tv. :(

Rebel_Yell

Is it possible to add the coordinates for the TV channels to an existing Sky Box (if one were to pull out the sky card and cancel a subscription)?

If so, anyone know the coordinates? Does seem to list them on the site (at a quick glance).

acme

I got one in Argos in Newry two years, for 20 quid, free-view set top box.
Its the same standard. works fine for Digital free-view RTE

gijoe

Its working via my aeriel, no set top box. All bar TV3. WTF is RTE NL?

locke

I thought you were in Cork.

Before now, it's only been available on a limited trial basis in Dublin.

Regarding the general piece, 2 years is way too short a timeframe. They're still selling TVs that won't work in 2 years time.

Gryire

It say that the service is only being launched today. So maybe TV3 will be added. I also have Rte 1, 2 TG4 and rolling news.

Gryire

If you've a tv with MPEG4 you'd have been able to pick up DTT test signals. The newer televisions tend to be setup for them (just like ones in the UK are setup for Freeview - but that's MPEG2 rather than MPEG4).

I bought an MPEG4 tv but it wasn't working, there's no way I was going to stick an ugly aerial into a nice shiny tv. :(
I bought a lovely 42" Sony TV a while back. Will only receive MPEG2 format, so can only get audio, no video. Sounds great though !!!!!

Podolski1.5

Ryan needs to clarify what he means by saying that 90% of people are already able to receive digital television. Does he mean that the signal is available to 90% of the population or that 90% of the population already have the right type of television / set-top-box or other equipment required?

In any case they might as well switch the lot off. It's just a mouthpiece for the government anyway.

gijoe

I bought a lovely 42" Sony TV a while back. Will only receive MPEG2 format, so can only get audio, no video. Sounds great though !!!!!
I got a Samsung in the January sales and it is working perfectly without a box on mine.

Macy

The tests have been on air for well over a year, nationwide from the main transmitters and some relays (not just Dublin as mentioned earlier).

Mpeg4 tv's/ boxes should work, but may not be able to make use of the interactive features/ new teletext. Be careful though as some mpeg 4 TV/ Receivers won't work with RTE HD, and it's believed that RTE won't have seperate channels (channels will switch between SD and HD).

Most standard "Freeview" branded receivers won't work as mpeg2 is the standard definition standard in the UK. Freeview HD receivers will probably work, but not guaranteed.

The RTENL "Channel" is just a placeholder - either for HD or TV3.

Powercity have a "saorview" officially certified receiver for sale already, for around €100, and saorview certified TV's as well as far as I'm aware.

You can get FTA Satellite/ DTT combo receivers for around €160ish. So you get all the standard definition BBC's, ITV's, Channel 4 suite and five, plus BBC HD and ITV1 HD (with more HD to come) over satellite, and Digital Quality RTE (soon to be HD content as well) via aerial, in one channel list for the sum monthly charge of €0.

ballot stuffer

The quicker they can kill the analogue signal the quicker they can use the old analogue spectrum for something useful like next generation broadband.

Catch 22

I use a USB device on my computer to pick up digital -- an AVerTV Volar Black HD which costs about €30. You get RTE TV, TG4, RTE Rolling News and a couple of test channels. You also get 10 RTE radio channels. There is still no TV3 however or any other channels.

Macy

I have been planning to get new TV so does this mean I should get an MPEG4 enabled set? Seems like that web site is plugging Walker TVs.
I would (and have been) hold off until there are more certified saorview TV's on the market. Walker have been the only one's to get certified, hence they're the only one's on the list! But it's quite likely that other manufacturers just have to have firmware updated to meet the specifications, so I'd hold off unless you're completely stuck, as hopefully more will get their finger out of their arse now it's (kinda) launched.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies