And our retail numbers go from bad to worse.

bonkers

during the month of december my local indoor market had little traders and no customers on sundays, there was a little more of each on the saturday, the pub and the local market or car boot are the real indicators of the condition of the economy, both seem to be slowly drowning from what i hear, but then they have little in the way of tax collecting for the tax man.
My sister in law was in a very well known pub in Phibsboro on Thursday night. It was her birthday. Besides her and her friend there were 4 other people in the place. They were charging €5.10 for a bottle of Coors Light which may explain it. I remember that pub years ago and it was always packed.

Sensor

Have folks noticed that roads have become quite busy since we entered 2013 ? That's one thing I have observed at least in my area. More people may be getting out to work. I would love to see the stats at the end of this month and if there is an uptick.

daveL

http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/re...pdf?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

This is an absolute SHOCKER.

There were FOUR pre-Christmas weekends in December and the weather was much better than a year earlier and still retail numbers are going down. Our domestic economy has not been is this bad a shape in the last 25 years and there's absolutely nothing on the horizon to suggest things are going to change.
Hmmm.. I vaguely remember some 'high street' commentators informing us before Christmas that it was going to be an exceptionally good season retail wise??

Maybe I picked it up wrong

skiii

Have folks noticed that roads have become quite busy since we entered 2013 ? That's one thing I have observed at least in my area. More people may be getting out to work. I would love to see the stats at the end of this month and if there is an uptick.
Comical Ali, when did you arrive here?

skiii

Hmmm.. I vaguely remember some 'high street' commentators informing us before Christmas that it was going to be an exceptionally good season retail wise??

Maybe I picked it up wrong
The worse things get,the more you'll hear those reports. Believe your own eyes.

turdsl

Is anyone suprised after another austerity budget?

VAT is too high. Impending property taxes, water taxes, septic tank charges, higher PRSI, feck all jobs and no light at the end of the tunnel has consumer sentiment depressed and therefore the retail sector is going to take a hit.[/QUOTE

And IBEC want more severe cut to wages.

fontenoy

with sterling near 86p we will see people flocking north in droves again
Happening already, here in Dundalk 10min drive saves about €80 on you're weekly shopping for food (based on 4 kids 2 adults)

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
Is anyone suprised after another austerity budget?

VAT is too high. Impending property taxes, water taxes, septic tank charges, higher PRSI, feck all jobs and no light at the end of the tunnel has consumer sentiment depressed and therefore the retail sector is going to take a hit.
You sir are a genius, immediately you should enlighten Noonan & Co. and see if you can get him to understand those two lines. Try writing it skowly as I know he does not read quickly.

Clanrickard

You sir are a genius, immediately you should enlighten Noonan & Co. and see if you can get him to understand those two lines. Try writing it skowly as I know he does not read quickly.
When you are a teacher or politician you are guaranteed money in your account every month. They simply cannot conceive of pay fluctuating. I am exempting the newly qualified teachers.

gerhard dengler

Actually I have noticed the exact opposite, unfortunately.
I've had reason to be in Dublin City centre every Saturday afternoon since late November 2012.

The volume of cars and buses made me wonder were the suburban retail outlets (Dundrum, Blanchardstown, Liffey Value, Newbridge) gaining at the expense of city centre venues?

Last edited:

Dillinger

Actually I have noticed the exact opposite, unfortunately.
I've had reason to be in Dublin City centre every Saturday afternoon since late November 2012.

The volume of cars and buses made me wonder were the suburban retail outlets (Dundrum, Blanchardstown, Liffey Value, Newbridge) gaining at the expense of city centre venues?
I have noticed a drop off in traffic except on Fridays when everyone tries to get out of work early.

But sure we can all just post lots of pictures of squirrels and pretend that everything is ok.

gijoe

Wait until the January exchequer returns come out. The government did a three card trick with a couple of big corporation tax payers last year to boost their numbers but that is going to all unwind in 2013.

And even without the above just think of the like of HMV not making VAT or PAYE returns this January/February and multiply that across a range of other business' that went belly up in January.

gerhard dengler

Wait until the January exchequer returns come out. The government did a three card trick with a couple of big corporation tax payers last year to boost their numbers but that is going to all unwind in 2013.
Correct.

The Corporation Tax (CT) filing was changed in late 2011, which allowed CT receipts which would have been booked in 2011 were instead booked in January 2012.
The figure booked was €253 million.
Not an insignificant sum of tax revenue.

And even without the above just think of the like of HMV not making VAT or PAYE returns this January/February and multiply that across a range of other business' that went belly up in January.
Despite tax rates being increased, tax yields haven't rising commensurately.
I don't expect this to change as regards the January 2013 tax returns

jcdf

The real economy - the one that earns money - is fine. Exports continue to grow.

What is in trouble is the discretionary economy, because there is little to no new credit going into the economy to fund sales of faff.

If we want a sustainable economy in the future, then we should be focusing on developing new and innovative businesses in the real economy. That's how we earn the money to fund the lifestyles we want to live.

The discretionary economy is a distraction and a waste of time, energy and resources.
Strongly agree. :)

Do the figures include online purchases, mostly from abroad?
Internet companies use loopholes to avoid taxes while driving high street retailers out of business. This will not end well.

RahenyFG

http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/re...pdf?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

This is an absolute SHOCKER.

There were FOUR pre-Christmas weekends in December and the weather was much better than a year earlier and still retail numbers are going down. Our domestic economy has not been is this bad a shape in the last 25 years and there's absolutely nothing on the horizon to suggest things are going to change.
I thought I heard there was a slight increase in some retail outlets at Christmas but maybe this was purely in Dublin City Centre.

Either way it's no surprise to hear this figure. The government is taxing work far too hard, especially for the low paid, and the end result is people barely having enough money to live on let alone spend on consumer goods. As a right winger I believe in cuts and that you can't tax your way out of recession and I stand by this seeing such figures. Taxes are too high because Labour are protecting public servants and certain areas of welfare from cuts. Now FG aren't perfect either, plenty of election promises on cutting expenses, quangos, advisers' pay and other politicians' allowances and nothing. Taxation increases ,particularly on the low paid, have gone far enough. People need an incentive to spend thus growing jobs in the private sector rather than the financial rape the government is continuing to carry on unfairly.

RahenyFG

The volume of retail sales (i.e. excluding price effects) decreased by 0.1% in
December 2012 when compared with November 2012 while there was an annual
decrease of 1.0%. If Motor Trades are excluded, the volume of retail sales
increased by 0.8% in December 2012 when compared with November 2012 and
there was also an annual increase of 0.8%.

The sectors with the largest month on month volume increases are Department
Stores (+6.3%), Bars (+4.4%) and Books, Newspapers & Stationery (+3.4%).The
sectors with the largest monthly decreases were Furniture and Lighting (-7.1%)
and Other Retail Sales (-3.1%).

There was no change in the value of retail sales in December 2012 when compared
with November 2012 (0.0%) and there was an annual decrease of 0.7%. If Motor
Trades are excluded, there was a monthly increase of 0.3% in the value of retail
sales and an annual increase of 1.1%.
Sure it's hardly surprising the month on month increase from November to December in stuff like department store goods in December with Christmas on the way and the increase in bars is unsurprising given the massive upsurge pubs experience as soon as the month of December begins. In pubs in Dublin City Centre at weekends in the run up to Christmas you can't even get a standing space.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom