• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Andy Reid should play for Ireland...

Sam Lord

Did anyone see his performance against West Ham? It was truly majestic. Scores with a stunning free kick. Brilliant crosses, tremendous corner kicks, absolutley awesome defense splitting passes. And he worked tirelessly to bring his team back into the game when they were a man down for the second half, constantly driving them forward. Not only a amazingly talented but a real character performance.

It is a travesty that this man is not even in the Ireland squad. Shame.

RTÉ Sport: Trap finds no place for either Reid

irish_shrink

I agree 100%

If i was the maNager, he would be playing, if anyone else was managing the team, he would be playing. However, in choosing the manager, we put faith in him to make decisions on our behalf, indirectly of course. If me or you were manager, do you honestly believe that we would have taken the team undeafeted through the group?

I don't think i would have, anyway.

So ya, Andy is a terrific player, should be first name on the sheet, but like, he isn't. Lets do this after we lose to france, and then all say we told you so, its the Irish way!!

anyone hear that numpty on today FM saying that because its taxpayers money, we should have a say as to who plays??? I laughed

Fraxinus

I think we are begining to get carried away with the abilities of Andy Reid of late, but yea it is a disappointment he's not in the squad. Ireland lack creativity, Andy Reid= creativity. Hopefully if we can somehow overturn the French Trap will bring him to the world cup.
I think it was after Stokes game last week I heard on RTE2's Premiership programme the panalists heaping praise on Whelan, it's time people woke up, yes he works hard but the suggestions that he was a brilliant passer of the ball is ridiculous. His tackling isn't even hectic, no playmaker would fear being stifled by Whelan. Andrews has a bit more to him, I'd stick Hunt in the middle before Whelan.

irish_shrink

Travesty [ˈtrævɪstɪ]
n pl -ties
a farcical or grotesque imitation; mockery; parody
vb -ties, -tying, -tied (tr)
to make or be a travesty of
[from French travesti disguised, from travestir to disguise, from Italian travestire, from tra- trans- + vestire to clothe]

I think travesty is too strong a word! also i heard a rumour bout what actually happened bewteen reid and trap, not sure at all if its true, but if it is then he shouldnt be playin

Sync

The problem with watching him at Sunderland this season is that he has Cana playing right behind him as a defensive midfielder. Ireland have no one that could do that job competently. So Reid still loses the ball a lot, and still can't really go box to box, but he has a decent player who's job it is to mop up for him. I'd have him in the world cup squad, but you could only really bring him on when you're 1-0 down after 80 mins, and conceding another doesn't matter. He offers nothing in terms of a 2 leg tie where away goals count.

Fraxinus

Travesty [ˈtrævɪstɪ]
n pl -ties
a farcical or grotesque imitation; mockery; parody
vb -ties, -tying, -tied (tr)
to make or be a travesty of
[from French travesti disguised, from travestir to disguise, from Italian travestire, from tra- trans- + vestire to clothe]

I think travesty is too strong a word! also i heard a rumour bout what actually happened bewteen reid and trap, not sure at all if its true, but if it is then he shouldnt be playin
Trap caught him w*nking at a picture of Mrs. Trap?

drkpower

i heard a rumour bout what actually happened bewteen reid and trap, not sure at all if its true, but if it is then he shouldnt be playin
Come on......:mad:

You cant just throw it out there without details. Spill the beans.

Sam Lord

I think we are begining to get carried away with the abilities of Andy Reid of late.
Having watched the game against West Ham I cannot say I am getting carried away. The premiership is one of the top leagues in the world and in a tough premiership game he shone like a diamond. it was a truly great performance.

It has been said that he gives the ball away a lot. I saw no evidence of this. And he may not be box to box but he worked tirelessly in closing people down and won a lot of ball as well.

Even if you leave aside his creativity it seems to me that his free kicks, corner kicks, and crossing would be invaluable.

Sync

If he can't go box to box, that leaves him at the front point of a midfield diamond. We have no one who can play and the rear point, unless we want to call Lee Carsley or Roy Keane and see what they're up to.

irish_shrink

I dont know, i just heard that allegedly there was alleagtions of a squaring up and hands on one person upper throat.

again, its pure speculation. i have no back for this.

is that a libelous comment?

Fraxinus

I dont know, i just heard that allegedly there was alleagtions of a squaring up and hands on one person upper throat.

again, its pure speculation. i have no back for this.

is that a libelous comment?
It's not only libelous, it's blasphemous too....to the pillory with you irish_shrink!

Pauli

He is playing well for his club and scored with a superb free kick against West Ham. I don't see anybody else in the team who can surpass him at that kind of deadball situation. By which I mean he can win a game on his own with a kick of the ball.

A player like that gives a manager options and it's not as if we have strength in depth with this squad. It makes Reid's omission all the more baffling.

Sync

Well I think the reasons are clear and legitimate, but it should also be remembered that many Italian managers, and Trap is certainly one of them, will make a decision and then refuse to go back on it for fear of losing respect in the locker room.

Rocky

Trapattoni is the manager, he has done well with Ireland and has a great record with other teams and if he doesn't think Reid should be in the squad, then Reid shouldn't be in the Squad. It really is as simple as that and this whole thing has annoyed me for ages.

This is the first time Ireland have got to the Play-Offs since 2002, we have gone our whole group unbeaten and nearly beat Italy, so he is clearly doing a good job. One player can completely unset the balance of a team and although Andrews and Whelan aren't the greatest players in the world, they are still first choice Premiership players and the way Trapp is using them is working. It's not exicting football, but then we don't have great players and Reid is not a great player, so want else can you expect.

I think one of Trapp's great strengths is his ability to completely ignore the media, which he has to do. There can be only Manager and that is Trapp. On top of that the media are basically only trying to justify their own existence, saying Trapp is doing a great job and picking the right team, doesn't fill much space on TV or in the papers.

truthforsooth

The standard of international football is so bad, and most teams so disjointed, that any manager with the nous to create a well-organised team will get some results. And Ireland aren't even that well organised! So I don't see Trap as specially gifted - it's just that he's following on from two tactically clueless managers. He doesn't know how to win a game, hence no Andy Reid or Clinton Morrison, and he has Robbie Keane as an automatic choice even when he's playing like Helen Keller. Trap's team are chosen to play as 4 centre backs, 2 full backs, 2 wide midfielders, and 2 strikers (and our gift from the gods, Shay Given).
My point being, eventually, that Reid is certainly good enough to be on the Irish team, and it would be great to see him on that stage, but Trap wants anti-football tactics, and chooses accordingly.

Sync

Morrison has 16 goals in 54 games over the last 2 seasons playing in the Championship. Keane has 15 in 43 in the Premiership over the same period. 9 goals in 36 games for Ireland for Clinton, 40 in 93 for Keane. Morrison is a terrible footballer. If he was like Heskey, (or do what Folan does for us to a certain extent) and was a great support player then that would be different. But he's not, he's an alleged finisher.

We've gotten to the cusp of the world cup with a very poor set of players, Trap deserves credit and backing for that. Also keep in mind we have Duff coming back as well which should help the creativity side of things.

Sam Lord

He is playing well for his club and scored with a superb free kick against West Ham. I don't see anybody else in the team who can surpass him at that kind of deadball situation. By which I mean he can win a game on his own with a kick of the ball.

A player like that gives a manager options and it's not as if we have strength in depth with this squad. It makes Reid's omission all the more baffling.
Agree 100%

Sam Lord

Trapattoni is the manager, he has done well with Ireland and has a great record with other teams and if he doesn't think Reid should be in the squad, then Reid shouldn't be in the Squad. It really is as simple as that and this whole thing has annoyed me for ages.

This is the first time Ireland have got to the Play-Offs since 2002, we have gone our whole group unbeaten and nearly beat Italy, so he is clearly doing a good job. One player can completely unset the balance of a team and although Andrews and Whelan aren't the greatest players in the world, they are still first choice Premiership players and the way Trapp is using them is working. It's not exicting football, but then we don't have great players and Reid is not a great player, so want else can you expect.

I think one of Trapp's great strengths is his ability to completely ignore the media, which he has to do. There can be only Manager and that is Trapp. On top of that the media are basically only trying to justify their own existence, saying Trapp is doing a great job and picking the right team, doesn't fill much space on TV or in the papers.
But not even in the squad! Can you see no circumstances arising in which we might need a player of his ability?

It is ludicrous.

mauvehillgus

I agree with most of this. However, let's everyone not delude ourselves that Reid is suddenly world class. He isn't.

He is a better player than Messrs Whelan, Miller, Andrews etc. - all of whom have been in the squad lately.

The prevailing story that I hear is that he had a major row with Trapattoni's favourite "yes-man" Liam Brady (who himself was ostracised in a similar manner under Charlton - and should know Reid's frustration) over being in the second eleven at training prior to one of the games. Reid apparently didn't put his proper shift in during training and was roundly abused by Brady, who in turn was allegedly roundly abused by Reid.

The main problem with the current set up is that Trappatoni's contract has been extended prior to the outcome of the qualifying group. We're not pretty to watch, and €50 per international is hard to justify.

I'd have him in the squad in a heartbeat - but I'm not the manager. He's not for changing on this either, so like it or not, we need to forget about Andy Reid in an Irish shirt for the foreseeable future. He called up Martin Rowlands in preference to Reid (FFS).

If we "do for" France, which is possible but unlikely, he'll be a hero. If we don't he won't. Either way he'll still be in charge in two year's time. We'll still be horrible to watch, but difficult to beat.

Rocky

But not even in the squad! Can you see no circumstances arising in which we might need a player of his ability?

It is ludicrous.
Trapattoni seems to want his Squad to contest of players who can just fall in the role of one of his first-team players if they can't play.

The man has won 10 League titles in four different countries, a European Cup and loads of other Trophies and now has got Ireland to the play-offs for the first team in 8 years. I'm going to trust his judgement over anyone else's. Alex Ferguson constantly does things that the media disagree with and that at first glance seems wrong (sell Beckham, Van Nistelrooy, Stam etc), but once again you can't argue with the man's record.

Managing any team isn't easy, as shown by the massive number of people who fail. This is a man with a record and who is doing a good job and if he's doesn't want Andy Reid in his squad, that's his decision to make.

If I was a Manager, yes Andy Reid would be in the Squad, but there's a very good reason why I'm not Irish Manager and despite my success on Football Manager, I can't see Ireland doing very well if I was Manager.