Angela Merkel laments the lack of reliable Global Allies

owedtojoy

If Donald Trump's seriously intended his visit to Bussels and Sicily to mend fences with European allies, then it has failed. Perhaps this is the death-knell of the western alliance.

And Merkel clearly included the UK in her speech today - in a way, she is much like Charles de Gaulle, and taking the same attitude to the perfidious Anglo-Saxons.

Clearly disappointed with European leaders’ inability to persuade Mr. Trump to publicly endorse NATO’s doctrine of collective defense — or to agree to common positions on Russia, climate change or global trade — Mrs. Merkel said on Sunday that traditional alliances were no longer as reliable as they once were, and that Europe should pay more attention to its own interests “and really take our fate into our own hands.”

Merkel, After Discordant G-7 Meeting, Is Looking Past Trump

Mr Trump, despite previous assurances from his National Security team, failed to provide the strong assertion of common defence and common democratic values that the European allies had sought. At the G7 summit, Mr Trump also did not show any inclination to join Europe and Japan in taking measures to stave off climate change. A rather boiler-plate agreement on trade, and the standard condemnations of terrorism, was the best that could be managed.

While the Trump team did provide the assurances sought in private about NATO, clearly what Trump leaves behind is a deep sense of disillusion and disappointment. Maybe, after his campaign rhetoric, it was too much of a gap to bridge.

Well, whither Europe now? At a time when the UK needs Europe to fight terrorism, is Theresa May going to continue to hitch the UK to the USA, much as Tony Blair did with George W Bush? Whither Ireland? Scotland?

Europe cannot rely on US and faces life without UK, says Merkel

blokesbloke

Now she knows how the rest of Europe's leaders feel about her.

cricket

This may have a certain element of truth, but has more to do with the forthcoming elections in Germany than anything else.

McDave

I wouldn't see Trump going off the rails as the end of the western alliance. At some point the US will re-align itself with a new alliance configuration with the EU as the primary partner, and some manner of re-adjusted relationship with the UK (should it survive).

I think Germany and France are going to establish a security core with Benelux, Italy, Spain and others, and eventually Poland (after the electorate there dumps the inept PiS).

What Merkel says makes perfect sense. The Anglosphere can no longer be counted on to behave in a collegiate way on issues like climate change and security. The EU now needs to assert itself. A core EU needs to form an autonomous political base to coordinate and promote its views. I wish it, and Merkel's initiative, well and hope Ireland gets on board as appropriate.

jmcc

Merkel the Communist is probably getting all misty-eyed for Mother Russia.

willow68

Have to say I'm rather amused at Merkel portraying Germany as a "traditional ally" of the UK/US.:D
Well in fairness they used to be....until the second Bush administration. Germany and France were not part of the coalition of the willing. . Then shortly after this Merkel 'IM Erika'/Honecker plant was elected, and things have been going downhill ever since. Don' t hold your breath, though. The sheeple of the Fatherland will give her another term - to finish the destruction of Europe

D

Deleted member 17573

I wouldn't see Trump going off the rails as the end of the western alliance. At some point the US will re-align itself with a new alliance configuration with the EU (should it survive) the primary partner, and some manner of re-adjusted relationship with the UK .

I think Germany and France are going to establish a security core with Benelux, Italy, Spain and others, and eventually Poland (after the electorate there dumps the inept PiS).

What Merkel says makes perfect sense. The Anglosphere can no longer be counted on to behave in a collegiate way on issues like climate change and security. The EU now needs to assert itself. A core EU needs to form an autonomous political base to coordinate and promote its views. I wish it, and Merkel's initiative, well and hope Ireland gets on board as appropriate.
Fixed that for you!

D

Deleted member 17573

Well in fairness they used to be....until the second Bush administration. Germany and France were not part of the coalition of the willing. . Then shortly after this Merkel 'IM Erika'/Honecker plant was elected, and things have been going downhill ever since. Don' t hold your breath, though. The sheeple of the Fatherland will give her another term - to finish the destruction of Europe
I was thinking more of the little bit of unpleasantness between them that we sometimes refer to as WW1 and WW2.

D

Deleted member 17573

Can't you write your own posts, you moron? :)
I expected your thanks for not letting such an obvious error in your post stand. But not to worry, gratitude always was in short supply around this place.

picador

Obama was in Berlin recently blathering about his open borders nonsense.

razorblade

If she stops strutting around acting like she's kaiser of Europe, and dictating to everyone about who they should let in to their countries then she may have more respect.

SamsonS

Allowing for diplomatic language and taking into account electoral needs I found this very unnerving. We have been accustomed to alliances that have largely keep Europe at peace for 70 years, what will fill the gap? If you can't rely on mutual defence the whole basis of NATO for a lot of countries becomes pointless.

flavirostris

To hell with Angela Merkel.

picador

Allowing for diplomatic language and taking into account electoral needs I found this very unnerving. We have been accustomed to alliances that have largely keep Europe at peace for 70 years, what will fill the gap? If you can't rely on mutual defence the whole basis of NATO for a lot of countries becomes pointless.
Islam, if Merkel continues to have her way.

Hewson

EU leaders are aware (Trump isn't because he just isn't . . . aware) that NATO's Article 5 has only been invoked once, and that was by Trump's America post 9/11. So the notion of EU heads being disappointed by Donald's prevarication about endorsing an article only his country has used is perplexing, to say the least. It fits in snugly, however, with the Trumpfile, one of short attention spans, steep learning curves and dramatic u-turns following short meetings with more aware leaders.

Merkel needn't bemoan a consensus because the Brits' instinct is to opt for the opposite of whatever it is the European mainlanders are arguing in favour of and Trump is standing in the middle of the railway tracks with his brood of compromised poodles as the 8.15 to Witchita thunders in his direction.

The world is currently going through something of a political nervous breakdown.

It'll sort itself out in time.

McDave

If the US insists on solo runs that compromises the security of European 'partners', perhaps European interests might be better served by taking matters into their own hands and leaving Bush/Blairite-style policies swinging in the wind.

New Threads

Most Replies