Angela Merkel takes on populists as she seeks fourth term in 2017 election 

Truth.ie

Populists?
Why don't you air these "populist" policies in public and see the reaction.
The populists are those who support the EU and open borders. Thats what the media want to hear and print.
The courageous ones are those who oppose it publicly....often at great physical risk.

keyholekate

I think she means to take on the "volk" and seems to be hitching her "wagen" to a star. Poor woman is off her trolley. She wants TTIP and that 3 hour meal with Obama in Berlin made him queasy and ready to roll into retirement but she doesn't even play golf. Anyway, Obama didn't like the German cabbage in his apfel strudel and had to make a run for his own special plane.

storybud1

All that is left for her to do is set up the EU army, start a war with Putin and then let the rest of the 3rd world in after the war is over ,,,

Yep, that should finally kill off the idea of a Europe for Europeans,,

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Amusing to see a politician who depends on a level of popular support being promoted as an 'anti-populist'.

Anti-populist politicians on the whole don't get elected.

On a more serious note her party the CDU may not be all that enamoured of her desire for a fourth term mainly because at least the last two years of that term would be taken up by infighting and positioning within the CDU to be her successor. So in reality she wouldn't be looking for four years but two at best with the last two being dominated by an issue mainly outside her control.

I think it is a poor decision by her and may cost the CDU at some stage. Then again I suppose her motivation may be to hope that her last term in office is not framed by her disastrous foray into unilateral attempts to ignore the Dublin agreement and barge through proposals that suited the German economy alone on migration over the heads of other European state leaders.

I suspect events may overtake Ms Merkel and her idea of four more years to re-frame her political legacy may lead her into a mistake common among long term leaders- that of hanging around too long and tripping headlong into infamy rather than nobility.

Prester Jim

Popular opinion, we do live in democracies here in the EU, like it or not we have to follow the will of the people. Merkel completely ignored all of that when she inserted herself into the role of dictating to the rest of the EU. She does seem to want to look to her legacy with this term alright.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Nice to see the politicians get conned every now and then. They are all under the impression that they can frame their own legacy. It is seldom the case.

I suppose it comes from the years of manipulation of public opinion involved. They forget that familiarity does breed contempt.

They only usually remember these truths when they are sliding into retirement and the bottle and by then it is too late.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
Popular opinion, we do live in democracies here in the EU, like it or not we have to follow the will of the people. Merkel completely ignored all of that when she inserted herself into the role of dictating to the rest of the EU. She does seem to want to look to her legacy with this term alright.
And yet she will probably win. Not honouring the will of the people and/or sneering at it is distinctly a part of EU culture. Witness official EU policy on Turkish accession. Wildly in opposition to what most people want; impervious to it all the same.

Prester Jim

And yet she will probably win. Not honouring the will of the people and/or sneering at it is distinctly a part of EU culture. Witness official EU policy on Turkish accession. Wildly in opposition to what most people want; impervious to it all the same.
The UK is in favour of Turkey because they are tools of the US and the US want an unstable EU (maybe not this unstable though). Noone else is really serious about their entry from what I can see, they weren't before Erdogan and they sure as hell aren't now. Turkey has gone right down the rabbit hole at this stage, recently parliament was considering a law to pardon pedophiles if they married the victim, only dropped the idea after mass protest. They are a proto-dictatorship at this stage, a step or two behind Russia.

truthandjustice

Its out now, Merkel seeks a fourth term in the 2017 Bundestags elections. Her aim to take on the populists is honourable but I am not sure if she is the right person for the Job, as she polarizes german society over the way she handled the refugee crisis.
Merkel thinks she is the European Obama, Obama is gone and Obama was a failure as president. Merkel like Obama has been destructive to her country which is now affecting my country. I despise the EU and all it stands for. The woman should be in jail not running for leader of Germany.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I wouldn't mind but a delegation of EU officials went on a 'quiet' visit to Ankara some years back and while the wives were taken away on a coach to a shopping centre (where their coach was promptly stoned by Grey Wolves supporters) the EU officials went in to meet Erdogan.

In the reception room was a partition which was suddenly pulled back and a load of Turkish press photographers basically went on a flashbulb spree at the EU delegation.

When the head of the delegation actually challenged Erdogan on the agreement that there would be no publicity Erdogan looked a bit sheepish and said something like 'I didn't think it was a good idea'.

There has always been a coterie of people at senior level in Brussels mad to get Turkey into the EU and I think they are closer to NATO than being European Union apparatchiks.

The EU secretariat have known for many years that Turkey is never even close to being a suitable candidate for membership of the EU.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
The UK is in favour of Turkey because they are tools of the US and the US want an unstable EU (maybe not this unstable though). Noone else is really serious about their entry from what I can see, they weren't before Erdogan and they sure as hell aren't now. Turkey has gone right down the rabbit hole at this stage, recently parliament was considering a law to pardon pedophiles if they married the victim, only dropped the idea after mass protest. They are a proto-dictatorship at this stage, a step or two behind Russia.
Yes, and still an official candidate for entry. The largest grouping in the EU Parliament has Turkish accession (I believe) as official policy also. Yet hardly anybody wants it. How many want EU navies pressed into service as ferries for people smugglers? How many favour the never-ending tide of regulation and expansion of power of the EU? How many are pleased with being unable to deport murderers and jihadists because of ECHR rulings? The disconnect has grown too wide and cannot hold.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
Look at the Turkish logo for Accession. Some class A trolling going on there.

Fractional Reserve

Its out now, Merkel seeks a fourth term in the 2017 Bundestags elections. Her aim to take on the populists is honourable but I am not sure if she is the right person for the Job, as she polarizes german society over the way she handled the refugee crisis.
Populists you say?Merkel tried to be a populist lovey dovey after battering Greece, and with her open door policies look what happened ,she is despised by a good majority of Germans and Half of Europe.

Lúidín

Excuse my German but Merkel ist Toast, which translates as not having a snowball's chance in Hell of being elected again.

Polybius

Europe needs populism. Populism is the only way to get rid of the incompetent elite in Brussels who are destroying our beautiful continent. The elites in Brussels are nothing but selfish globalists who have no respect for ordinary Europeans or our culture and traditions. Merkel is a globalist who despises her own people and culture.

Polybius

Populists you say?Merkel tried to be a populist lovey dovey after battering Greece, and with her open door policies look what happened ,she is despised by a good majority of Germans and Half of Europe.
Merkel crucifies her European "partners" such as Greece and Ireland but is happy to spend tens of billions of German taxpayer's money on bringing hordes of troublesome Muslims in Europe. Germans are paying taxes so their government can make their country less safe. Merkel is a disgrace.

Felixness

I'd like to believe that the German people wouldn't vote her in again, sadly I predict they will re-elect her, as insane as that prospect seems it really wouldn't surprise me if they do.

Prof Honeydew

I think she means to take on the "volk" and seems to be hitching her "wagen" to a star. Poor woman is off her trolley. She wants TTIP and that 3 hour meal with Obama in Berlin made him queasy and ready to roll into retirement but she doesn't even play golf. Anyway, Obama didn't like the German cabbage in his apfel strudel and had to make a run for his own special plane.
Populism explained in a nutshell.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies