Anger at Sinn Féiner's claims about undeserving homeless.

O

Oscurito

Homelessness activists such as Fr Peter McVerry have sharply criticized claims by a Dublin City Councillor to the effect that families were deliberately making themselves homeless in order to get social housing.

The comments were made by Noeleen Reilly of Sinn Féin at a meeting of the Housing Committee of Dublin City Council.

"I know families that have done it," she said, according to RTE reports. "They are fearful of their future and their own security, that's why it's happening."

Fr Peter McVerry responded saying that such statements were "dangerous" and that they implied that homeless people do not deserve to be assisted.

McVerry slams SF claim that people want to be homeless - Herald.ie

Spanner Island

There are scammers and the scammed in this world... from the top to the bottom of society...

The majority are probably neither (except of course when the scams involve public money in which case we are all being scammed)...

No point in denying this whether you're Fr McVerry or anyone else.

The trick is not to tar everyone with the same brush... which the vast majority of people are more than capable of doing and of distinguishing between genuine cases and chancers.

tipofdiceberg

Homelessness activists such as Fr Peter McVerry have sharply criticized claims by a Dublin City Councillor to the effect that families were deliberately making themselves homeless in order to get social housing.

The comments were made by Noeleen Reilly of Sinn Féin at a meeting of the Housing Committee of Dublin City Council.

"I know families that have done it," she said, according to RTE reports. "They are fearful of their future and their own security, that's why it's happening."

Fr Peter McVerry responded saying that such statements were "dangerous" and that they implied that homeless people do not deserve to be assisted.

SOME families.

O

Oscurito

SOME families.
I think it's a load of b____x - one of those "I know a guy who knows a guy" stories.

She wanted to make some argument about how desperate some people were, she completely lost the run of herself and now she's getting well-deserved flak.

RasherHash

Well you've spun the sh1t out of that.

derryman

So, are you angry, or delighted to get a swipe at Sinn Fein?
My understanding was that a good OP should always carry an opinion.

O

Oscurito

There are scammers and the scammed in this world... from the top to the bottom of society...

The majority are probably neither (except of course when the scams involve public money in which case we are all being scammed)...

No point in denying this whether you're Fr McVerry or anyone else.

The trick is not to tar everyone with the same brush... which the vast majority of people are more than capable of doing and of distinguishing between genuine cases and chancers.
Indeed but not this. People are not going to hurl their children out onto the street just on the off-chance of getting a house in a couple of years.

eoghanacht

So being fearful and worried about your security you make your family homeless in probably the worse "housing crisis" the right wing agenda has manufactured.

Seems legit

eoghanacht

Indeed but not this. People are not going to hurl their children out onto the street just on the off-chance of getting a house in a couple of years.
The Shinner says so.

Get your doc Martin's on, we are about to do a bit of poor stomping.

PBP voter

O

Oscurito

So being fearful and worried about your security you make your family homeless in probably the worse "housing crisis" the right wing agenda has manufactured.

Seems legit
I'd expect it from the likes of Renua but not from Sinn Féin.

(I've started reading your posts again, a Eoghanachta. I was feeling......hormonal that day.)

O

Oscurito

So, are you angry, or delighted to get a swipe at Sinn Fein?
My understanding was that a good OP should always carry an opinion.
It's hard to convey my bemusement at a statement from a supposed leftie that would more properly belong on a Tory-dominated council in the Shires.

automaticforthepeople

I find it hard to understand the councillors logic.
I'd have thought that if a person was fearful for their security they would remain as long as possible in the environment that they feel more safe in. ie their dwelling as bad as their financial situation may be and not leave their home given the massive shortage of public housing available to local authorities.
Otherwise it is out of the frying pan and into the fire.

O

Oscurito

SF are the establishment in Dublin City council. They are a huge part of the problem.

Selling off land to developers on the cheap and little provision for social housing.

Plan to provide 448 social housing units in Dublin
They're also an establishment party in Northern Ireland where there are 4 times as many people homeless as there are in the Republic.

And that's before we start talking about the far smaller population in NI. :shock:

Irish-Rationalist

Perhaps the Shinners are finally beginning to take the ideological lenses off and recognise that some people unfairly exploit the system for their own gain?

Levellers

In Dublin alone there are eight organisations alledgely dealing with the homeless - Dublin Simon, the Peter McVerry Trust, Depaul Ireland, Focus Ireland, Novas, the Salvation Army, Crosscare, and the YMCA. They receive tens of millions of Euros from us the tax payers.

This gravy train should be stopped and put under the remit of local authorities.

hammer

In Dublin alone there are eight organisations alledgely dealing with the homeless - Dublin Simon, the Peter McVerry Trust, Depaul Ireland, Focus Ireland, Novas, the Salvation Army, Crosscare, and the YMCA. They receive tens of millions of Euros from us the tax payers.

This gravy train should be stopped and put under the remit of local authorities.
Or organisations should merge.

eoghanacht

I'd expect it from the likes of Renua but not from Sinn Féin.

(I've started reading your posts again, a Eoghanachta. I was feeling......hormonal that day.)
Happens to the best of us Os.

eoghanacht

Perhaps the Shinners are finally beginning to take the ideological lenses off and recognise that some people unfairly exploit the system for their own gain?
True, but we are more likely to see or read about people at the bottom end of the social spectrum taking advantage than you are of those "tax evaders" St the top.

When TV3 runs a series on tax evasion or Dinny's uncanny ability to come up trumps whenever FG are in power I'll sit up and take notice.

New Threads

Most Replies