• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Anglo employee kills himself

Asparagus

Sorry f there is a thread but i thought this was relevant in light of Sean FitzPatrick's laughing all the way to court stories.

Anglo employee abused by customers takes his own life

AN EMPLOYEE at Anglo Irish Bank who was regularly abused by angry members of the public at the height of the banking crisis has taken his own life.

Stephen Doyle (32) was a supervisor at the bank's flagship St Stephen's Green branch where his job involved listening to customers' complaints about the behaviour of former chairman Seán FitzPatrick and other Anglo executives which led to the €30bn bailout by the taxpayer.

Mr Doyle suffered severe emotional trauma because of the behaviour of many members of the public who took out their anger at Anglo on him and other junior staff, according to Anglo sources.

On a daily basis customers and shareholders would come into the bank shouting and demanding to see FitzPatrick.
RIP.

I hope people remember to channel their anger directly at the people who caused it and not the little guys in the way.

I hope Sean is laughing all the way to the cemetary to pay his respects.

edor

He's probably busy ensuring those that sneer at him in his golf club are being barred. Will have a 9 round during the funeral no doubt.

RIP.

DCon

He's probably busy ensuring those that sneer at him in his golf club are being barred. Will have a 9 round during the funeral no doubt.

RIP.
Will he golf before or after the champagne reception?

Asparagus

Will he golf before or after the champagne reception?
No doubt he'll send a wreath and that will clear his conscience.

Or maybe he'll steal a wreath off another grave and use that.
that will clear his conscience and f*ck someone else over so win win.

Victor Meldrew

Thanks for posting this. Our thoughts are with his wife and two 9 month old girls.

Lets keep it respectful here and not forget who led so many ordinary men to take their lives.

Asparagus

I dont buy this story. My guess is there was far more going wrong in this man's life than simply being shouted at. FFS a Junior B footballer will get more abuse from his manager during Anglo was not a retail bank so why on earth would members of the public be in complaining? Depositors would have little to complain about and 'the man in the street' was hardly allowed.

I am no defender of Seanie but making a whoo haa over the fact the man smiles is purient nonsense.
Mental health is dependent on two factors, biological predisposition and stress.
His collegues say he "snapped" with the pressure.

My own sister works in a bank and told me that she spent at least 1 conversation every day outside of work was dedicated to the banking crises. Collegues had been harrased in pubs by customers.

She worked for BOI.

I can imagine that the stress that Stephen was under was much bigger and probably interacted with his predisposition and other stresses in his life.

Sean FitzPatrick smiling on the way to court is an affront to society and this decent fellow who took the brunt of a lot of abuse and anger aimed at him.

White Horse

I also think there is more to the poor man's troubles than being shouted at by members of the public. Anglo's attempt to "spin" this story for the own benefit is sickening.

However, it is a reminder to people to channel their anger and not take it out on the "little guy" who is put in the firing line by the fat cats.

I extend my sympathies to the wife and children of the deceased.

willoughby

Thanks for posting this. Our thoughts are with his wife and two 9 month old girls.

Lets keep it respectful here and not forget who led so many ordinary men to take their lives.
+ 1. Suicide is a ravage of the Irish people at the moment and an internet forum is not the place to discuss an individual case.

RIP and condolenses to his family.

orbit

I also think there is more to the poor man's troubles than being shouted at by members of the public. Anglo's attempt to "spin" this story for the own benefit is sickening.

However, it is a reminder to people to channel their anger and not take it out on the "little guy" who is put in the firing line by the fat cats.

I extend my sympathies to the wife and children of the deceased.
I agree. It's totally wrong to take it out on the frontline reception staff, who are the least blameworthy in all of this. But, there's a lot more in Anglo than Sean Fitzpatrick, who are culpable. Basically, anyone in that bank involved in credit decisions, and who just carried on, without shouting stop, shares some of the blame.

richie268

(And yes, FitzPatrick, Drumm et al should be crucified - literally if possible.
If it is literally possible it can literally happen!

Asparagus

... not because it is critical of Fitzpatrick but because it presumes to impute a reason for a man taking his life.

"Mr Doyle suffered severe emotional trauma because of the behaviour of many members of the public who took out their anger at Anglo on him and other junior staff, according to Anglo sources.
Mr Doyle started to become withdrawn, lost weight and his behaviour changed suddenly. He was then transferred to an administrative position for his own wellbeing by senior management."

There is *no* evidence (e.g. a suicide note) offered as to why this poor man took his life, just comments from anonymous "colleagues".

A sleazy piece from a sleazy paper.

(And yes, FitzPatrick, Drumm et al should be crucified - literally if possible.)

Gardaí have launched an investigation and interviewed Anglo employees on Friday. It is understood that there is serious concern among staff and management at his treatment.
The sleeziness of the paper is irrelavent.
As for their being no evidence - how do you know if there is no suicide note?

He held a position that exposed him to a lot of stress and abuse.
He killed himself.
His colleagues believe the two are connected.
The guards are investigating.

The paper doesn't say he did this because of that. His colleagues do.
I think it does highlight the mental health deficit in this country and hopefully employees will be more vigilant.

Oldira1

I agree. It's totally wrong to take it out on the frontline reception staff, who are the least blameworthy in all of this. But, there's a lot more in Anglo than Sean Fitzpatrick, who are culpable. Basically, anyone in that bank involved in credit decisions, and who just carried on, without shouting stop, shares some of the blame.
Exactly!

There is a collaboration between bankers,developers,politician and the media to offer us Seanie and Ivor as scapegoats while all the really guilty continue on their merry way.

FG/Lab should offer Seanie/and Fingers immunity from prosecution (or anyone else for that matter) that spills the beans on the crooked goings on for the past decade. The easy time Fingers is getting suggests he has threatened to tell where the bodies are buried.

Holy Hand Grenade

Even during the boom years, working in a bank branch was incredibly stressful. My wife worked in one for three years and had to leave because of the stress involved. I can only imagine what the frontline staff in branches have to face now.

RIP to the poor guy, regardless of whatever the cause was, a woman has lost her husband and twin girls will never know their father.

Tony Liar

The Anglo spin is backfiring. The men at the top laugh as they go to the court, while still living the life of a king, while the foot soldiers take the pain.

Biffomania

A colleague here is from that area in Kildare. Shockingly that's the 2nd suicide in that particular area within the last few days, the other was a young mother in her 20's.

RIP to both and condolences to the two families. Tragic events in terrible times.

I feel deep anger towards certain politicians who led us to this sorry situation, and who still refuse to apologise sincerely and contritely for their part in the disaster, but this is not the time nor the place to sully the memory of the tragic victims by naming and shaming the guilty parties.

orbit

FG/Lab should offer Seanie/and Fingers immunity from prosecution (or anyone else for that matter)
Jaysus! I wouldn't be sure about that. :eek:

But, I remember a few years back my bank manager, offering me a mortgage topup, and admitting that lots of people were using that to buy cars. That kind of action was probably not criminal, but it presumably broke some rules, and a career change, or spell on the dole, might be the answer to it.

If anything, they should start at the bottom in Anglo, offer immunity there in return for an honest account of what happened, and see what comes out in terms of prosecutions for people higher up.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
Folks, this is a personal tragedy for the family. I think it's inappropriate to try and score points while the poor man's family are in mourning.

It is well known that the suicide rate has increased dramatically in the past year. By all means discuss this impact of the recession, but personalising as in this thread is in very poor taste IMHO.

G

Gimpanzee

Folks, this is a personal tragedy for the family. I think it's inappropriate to try and score points while the poor man's family are in mourning.

It is well known that the suicide rate has increased dramatically in the past year. By all means discuss this impact of the recession, but personalising as in this thread is in very poor taste IMHO.
The whole story is in very poor taste. Tribune has been flirting with ragdom over the past few years.

Popular Threads

Most Replies