Anglo employee kills himself

PAD1OH

Folks, this is a personal tragedy for the family. I think it's inappropriate to try and score points while the poor man's family are in mourning.
it's more than inappropriate. it is disgusting and people should be ashamed of themselves.

people react differently to stres and nobody here is in a position to judge.

rip

orbit

But the issue is that this event is being used as a cloaking device by Anglo. No-one is really discussing the event at all.

Clearly, if your personal ethics prevent you from contributing, its good that you would share that. But I'm clear at the point at issue here.
+1. I've said nothing on this thread, that I wouldn't say to that man's family. I'll say it again. He did not deserve the treatment he got, and it must have been a factor in him taking his life. But, the old pieties expressed here, shouldn't be used as an excuse to sweep what happened at Anglo under the carpet.

orbit

but who has done this? the article didn't. no poster here did until it was suggested by Oldira
Well, there's the suggestion that all political discussion is just "point scoring", and that it's not really serious at all. I disagree. Oldira1's (serious) point is that Anglo could be using this tragedy to deflect blame from other people who might share some of the blame for the catastrophe. You can argue that is not the case. But, I don't think we should not discuss it, because of this tragedy.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Anglo was a bank that had very few decision makers... that was its business model: direct access to top people

Most of its staff and management had no part in the crazy goings on

Yet a large segment of the public, including posters here, sought to attack all "bankers" , shame on them

This is a sad and unecessary death, RIP

adrem

Can I respectfully suggest that this thread be closed?

By all means everyone has the right to attack the practices at Anglo and the right to be vocal about any attempt to sweep things under the carpet or hide behind other extrqaneous issues. . . . . I just don't think it should be done on a thread about a man's death.

PAD1OH

Well, there's the suggestion that all political discussion is just "point scoring", and that it's not really serious at all. I disagree. Oldira1's (serious) point is that Anglo could be using this tragedy to deflect blame from other people who might share some of the blame for the catastrophe. You can argue that is not the case. But, I don't think we should not discuss it, because of this tragedy.
The situation is this, someone has taken their own life, the situation may or may not have been exacerbated by the actions and misunderstandings of the public brought about by the wrongdoings of senior staff of the bank..

Until there is evidence that Anglo are "using the story", i think it is inappropriate to discuss it.

speculating over this is wrong IMO. It's deeply disrespectful of the deceased and their family and friends.

Asparagus

it's more than inappropriate. it is disgusting and people should be ashamed of themselves.

people react differently to stres and nobody here is in a position to judge.

rip

People do indeed react differently to stress. Most mental health commentators encourage more public discourse with regards to suicide.

Obviously the anglo angle and the sean fitz thing sexies it up but at least it brings it out for a public discussion

There are a few important questions to be answered
1./ Are anglo and other corporations negligent of their employees mental health?
2./ If so does this particular negligence constitute any responsibility in the death?

As for Sean FitzPatrick - this guy allegedly took verbal bullets for him (whether that drove him to the edge or not) so it gauls to see him in the paper smiling while his defender is buried and his family mourn.

Asparagus

Can I respectfully suggest that this thread be closed?

By all means everyone has the right to attack the practices at Anglo and the right to be vocal about any attempt to sweep things under the carpet or hide behind other extrqaneous issues. . . . . I just don't think it should be done on a thread about a man's death.
I think that a mod should watch some of the comments but i don't think the thread is in poor taste.
In fact a conversation about why this poor man did what he did and what could have been done to prevent it is very healthy.

orbit

Anglo was a bank that had very few decision makers... that was its business model: direct access to top people

Most of its staff and management had no part in the crazy goings on
With all due respect, I won't be accepting that as fact, on the opinion of an internet poster.

SeanieFitz

i agree that this is an inappropriate thread

no one on this site knows why this person took his life!

Asparagus

i agree that this is an inappropriate thread

no one on this site knows why this person took his life!
The thread started with a newspaper article of a very symbolic tragedy and a call for people to reserve their anger for the right people.

It also expressed sympathy.

If you don't think its appropriate then don't read or contribute, if i have overstepped some line of decency then i apologise and hopefully better folk like DC can decide if it merits discussion

but i think its an important bench mark on both the banking crisis and also the national attitude towards mental health in the country.
the less we talk about it the worse it gets.

G

Gimpanzee

You might not have intended to cause an problems with this thread Asparagus, and maybe with a bit of luck no one in the persons circle of friend or family will see it, but this is far to raw an issue for far too many people to serve any purpose.

It is torture for those left behind after a suicide trying to rationalise why the person would do such a thing. Blaming Sean Fitzpatrick & co - which is the clear inference - is far from helpful to the friends and family.

anewbeginning

It's just plain dumb to believe Fitzpatrick acted alone.

Fitzpatrick was confident in acting any way he wanted because he had support staff in our government and the regulators office who knew full well what he was up to but deliberately turned a blind eye and in some cases encouraged him.

RIP to this man and condolences to his family. He was no doubt a good guy who got involved with the wrong crowd.

Samell

Imagine if the government had put 20 billion into suicide prevention.
+1 We would still have a lot of decent people still with us. and maybe a few of the high ups who caused this tragedy would be accounting for their sins.

R.I.P. His family are in my heart and thoughts.

Badmed

Can we please stop calling him Seanie? Can we please stop calling Ahern "Bertie"?

Sympathies with the man's family. While the abuse he received over Anglo may not have been the sole contributing factor to his demise, the story does illustrate an uncomfortable truth about Irish society- that we have a tendency to hammer the little guy and yet not stand up to institutional injustice through constitutional/community/societal means. A quick rant at the person manning the checkout, but no exchange of views with the manager. Anyone working in the HSE will recognise this. It may explain, to an extent, why our public services remain far behind those of more enlightened societies. We need to do away with the mob mentality.

conservative green

While I tend to agree with the posters that said suicides are usually not caused by a single causative factor, not a single one of you has condemned the behaviour of the Joe Duffy listener types who have been going in and shouting mindless abuse at bank tellers. This is scumbag corner boy behaviour, pure and simple. For grown adults to engage in it is lamentable.

stoichkov

very sad story.

however, i'd agree with oldira1 that it seems rather unlikely that some tirades from anglo customers were the sole, or even main, reason for this young man's demise.

i'm sure it didn't exactly help though.

former wesleyan

I should imagine that constant abuse could unhinge some people who felt unable to respond in kind. More important is that some of this abuse must have happened on Alan Dukes watch - and by that I mean the government appointed management. What were they thinking of, leaving lowly operatives at the front desk to soak up the publics ire ?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom