Anglo investigation is expected to be “substantially complete” by the year end

Asparagus

End in sight for Anglo investigation - The Irish Times - Tue, Nov 09, 2010

The Director of Corporate Enforcement’s two-year investigation into Anglo Irish Bank is expected to be “substantially complete” by the end of this year, the High Court heard today.

The inquiry, which is being assisted by the Garda Bureau of Fraud Investigation, was today extended by the High Court until April.

Earlier, the judge heard Anglo does not have the passwords necessary to access some specific password protected or encrypted documents and the failure of certain Anglo personnel who have left the bank to give it those passwords, is one of the factors which have delayed the inquiry.

Because some “very detailed password encryption” was involved, working out the passwords was “a very time consuming process” for the investigators, Paul O’Higgins SC, for the ODCE said. The director had sought passwords for 50 of some 800 password protected documents as those 50 appeared most relevant to the probe but Anglo could only supply 20 of those.

The judge was also informed some 125 statements have been taken to date for the investigation and this was also proving very time consuming, with an average three days required for each statement and some taking “a lot longer”.
Although it has been offically extended til April 2011

He3

Encryption, hard passwords - who'da thunk?

Astral Peaks

The only person to spend time behind bars as a result of the Beef Tribunal was Susan O'Keefe, the journalist who broke the story, iirc.

Who will it be this time?

Morgan Kelly?

It certainly wont be any Soldiers of Destiny!

Holy Cow

Encryption, hard passwords - who'da thunk?
Its a strange one. Normally on networks the documents are shared and permissions are set by the admins on the server. If individual documents are password protected its highly unusual. Not easy to share documents in that fashion.

ocoonassa

NB: Whitewash is not paint. It will wash away over time if exposed to rain, and if you lean on a whitewashed structure you might end up with some white on your clothes.

Watcher2

YAWN, this again. I'll believe it when I see it. What number is this false dawn?

Mitsui2

If people are refusing to assist with a legitimate garda investigation is there not some penalty they can be made pay? Like jail?

Holy Cow

There is an election coming in Donegal, the FF lad needs to be able to report progress.

Skrynesaver

So who'd be willing to run a distributed cracking program as their screen saver helping the Guards crack these files. winner gets "my machine exposed the scam " bragging rights. Result is pure luck of course (though processor power would weight the likely result)

Alternatively we know it's winter and the weather is going to be crap, so set up the Met Eireann super computer as a dedicated cracking machine and let 'er rip.

Suspect these feckers will have used the same password for each file, so once one's broken ...

Aindriu

Its a strange one. Normally on networks the documents are shared and permissions are set by the admins on the server. If individual documents are password protected its highly unusual. Not easy to share documents in that fashion.
Not entirely true there HC. They can be shared on the network yet protected by PGP (pretty good protection) as long as all those who need to access them have the public key.

Asparagus

Free Word / Excel Password Recovery Software: Freeware not just 'free demo'

Free Word / Excel Password Recovery Wizard offers the same functionality and performance as expensive commercial Word password / Excel password software, but is a completely free download. Unlike other supposedly "free" downloads, it is a full product, not a demo version or shareware. It contains no spyware or other malware.

Holy Cow

Not entirely true there HC. They can be shared on the network yet protected by PGP (pretty good protection) as long as all those who need to access them have the public key.
And they key is more than likely stored in their email, or a local file?

Its not a normal way of doing things anyway?

Social Conscience

I wonder what the public reaction will be when the DPP decides there are no cases to be brought forward??

Holy Cow

I wonder what the public reaction will be when the DPP decides there are no cases to be brought forward??
By the time the case files are delivered to the DPP there will be a new government. I expect a lot more people will have fled the country by then.

Asparagus

Is the investigation into Anglo targeted or does it involve all activities of the bank?

Are there any investigations into the other banks specifically INBS?

:confused:
Of five matters being investigated, the court heard the investigations into three of those would be substantially completed by the end of the year while the others were likely to be complete by the end of March 2011.

Four primary events are being investigated for the purpose of establishing if they breached provisions of the Companies Acts and/or common law.

The first is the financial assistance by Anglo in 2008 to a number of persons to enable them to buy its shares.

The second is Anglo’s loans to its former directors and the regular “warehousing” in Irish Nationwide Building Society of some of those loans at the end of Anglo’s financial year.

The third event is the “back-to-back” deposit arrangement between Anglo and Irish Life and Permanent Group for the benefit of Anglo at the end of its financial year in September 2008. The investigation into all three events is expected to be completed by the end of this year.

The fourth event relates to a loan to an Anglo director and that probe is expected to be complete by the end of March next.

The investigation into a fifth issue - whether the four events involve breaches of the EC Transparency Regulations and the European Communities (Admission to Listing and Miscellaneous Provisions) Regulations 2007 - is expected to complete soon after March 2011.

ballot stuffer

I would be very surprised if the passwords were anything other than very simple plain text passwords. From my experience busy execs don't do complex passwords on frequently used documents and they would therefore be easy to break.
This stinks of cover up.

Asparagus

I would be very surprised if the passwords were anything other than very simple plain text passwords. From my experience busy execs don't do complex passwords on frequently used documents and therefore easy to break.
This stinks of cover up.
Even if - you'd imagine our government would have the resources to hack a file - the NSA could do it inside 30 seconds...

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies