• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Anglo Irish Bank & INBS List of Depositors

YouKnowWhatIMeanLike

In the aftermath of the blanket bank guarantee the Irish government used taxpayer money (NTMA,ELA's etc ) to recapitalize the covered Irish banks. This move last but not least was made to protect depositors and creditors from any losses on principal and accrued interest. In February 2011, AIB has acquired the Anglo Irish deposits book of €7 billion and received another tranche of NAMA senior bonds with a nominal value of € 12 billion. Furthermore AIB acquired the Anglo Irish Bank Corporation (International) PLC in the Isle of Man with customer deposits of almost € 1.6 billion. We have learned a little about the Anglo Irish bondholders in recent year, but I think it's time to learn a little more about the so well looked after depositors as well.

Now here is a question for you if one had access to a list of Irish depositors at Anglo Irish Bank at the time of the guarantee (€51.5bn) and the recapitalization would it be legally sound to publish this list online? And if not, who would be allowed to access to this list of untouchable investors? Does government care to know who they are?

Last edited:

nixmix

Irrespective of the legality of publishing online it should be done so as a matter of public interest.
And there are ways of putting it online and making sure no one knows where it came from....

gerhard dengler

In the aftermath of the blanket bank guarantee the Irish government used taxpayer money (NTMA,ELA's etc ) to recapitalize the covered Irish banks. This move last but not least was made to protect depositors and creditors from any losses on principal and accrued interest. In February 2011, AIB has acquired the Anglo Irish deposits book of €7 billion and received another tranche of NAMA senior bonds with a nominal value of € 12 billion. Furthermore AIB acquired the Anglo Irish Bank Corporation (International) PLC in the Isle of Man with customer deposits of almost € 1.6 billion. We have learned a little about the Anglo Irish bondholders in recent year, but I think it's time to learn a little more about the so well looked after depositors as well.

Now here is a question for you if one had access to a list of Irish depositors at Anglo Irish Bank at the time of the guarantee and the recapitalization would it be legally sound to publish this list online? And if not, who would be allowed to access to this list of untouchable investors? Does government care to know who they are?
An interesting question.
Do you have such a list? :)

I have a conspiracy theory that some of the debtors of the banks - who's loans were transferred to NAMA - were also depositers/bondholders at these same banks.

Ethically/morally, the Irish citizen should be entitled to full transparency as to what made up both the debtor and creditor accounts at
Anglo/IBRC and INBS.
Both lenders were insolvent so they should not be defended in law, in my view particularly after being in receipt of huge transfers from the citizens of this country.

If I buy a round of drinks, I'd at least like to know the identity of the people I'm buying them for.

Watcher2

Now here is a question for you if one had access to a list of Irish depositors at Anglo Irish Bank at the time of the guarantee and the recapitalization would it be legally sound to publish this list online? And if not, who would be allowed to access to this list of untouchable investors? Does government care to know who they are?
Depositors are not investors.

Kev408

I don't see how this is anybody's business. Our elected government decided to cover them. If I invested something and it went belly up and then some government decided to pay me I'd take the money and run.

I see the argument that it 's taxpayers money but I don't see how it would make a blind bit of difference unless you think there's something criminal going on. Anyway, we should never have payed and the whole thing is a mess.

Sync

No of course it wouldn't. If you were in receipt of such a list the appropriate thing would be to contact both the police and data protection commissioner and detail how you obtained it. You seem confused as to the difference between depositors and investors. If you meant investors then its probably a different conversation.

thegregster

A lot of ordinary people had accounts with Anglo. They offered the best rate. Do you want a list down to the very bottom?

EUrJokingMeRight

A lot of ordinary people had accounts with Anglo. They offered the best rate. Do you want a list down to the very bottom?
Did they ************************.

If there is such a list. Pass it over this direction and I'll ensure that it gets the attention it deserves.

thegregster

If there is such a list. Pass it over this direction and I'll ensure that it gets the attention it deserves.
You do realise that Anglo was open to ordinary deposit holders. Many people would have had deposits of less than 5,000euros with them.

YouKnowWhatIMeanLike

preferably yes, the deposits would have been wiped out if the Irish taxpayer had not taken on this debt. we would have a much better sovereign debt position. BTW how ordinary were these depositors? Anglo wasn't exactly a retail bank for the ordinary passer-by.

meriwether

No of course it wouldn't. If you were in receipt of such a list the appropriate thing would be to contact both the police and data protection commissioner and detail how you obtained it. You seem confused as to the difference between depositors and investors. If you meant investors then its probably a different conversation.
Investors names are already in the public domain. Shareholders registers are available. From somewhere. Granted, some people are hidden behind nominees, etc.

Depositors? Thats a different story altogether.

meriwether

An interesting question.
Do you have such a list? :)

I have a conspiracy theory that some of the debtors of the banks - who's loans were transferred to NAMA - were also depositers/bondholders at these same banks.

Ethically/morally, the Irish citizen should be entitled to full transparency as to what made up both the debtor and creditor accounts at
Anglo/IBRC and INBS.
Both lenders were insolvent so they should not be defended in law, in my view particularly after being in receipt of huge transfers from the citizens of this country.

If I buy a round of drinks, I'd at least like to know the identity of the people I'm buying them for.
Do you or did you have any deposits at insolvent Irish banks in receipt of bailout funding?

If so, can you please post your name and depositor information here, please. Thanks.

Or if not, can you please provide the details of any family members who fit the criteria. This is in the public interest.

bonkers

A had a tenner in Anglo. Wined and dined by Seanie and the lads. Great times.

Taxi Driver

You do realise that Anglo was open to ordinary deposit holders. Many people would have had deposits of less than 5,000euros with them.
Up to the 20th of September depositors in Irish banks had a deposit guarantee of €20,000 per individual. On that date it became a guarantee of €100,000 per individual per bank. The "small" depositors don't really matter. Anglo was a depositor bailout,

thegregster

preferably yes, the deposits would have been wiped out if the Irish taxpayer had not taken on this debt. we would have a much better sovereign debt position. BTW how ordinary were these depositors? Anglo wasn't exactly a retail bank for the ordinary passer-by.
What would you call an ordinary depositor? Would you call somebody with 6k in their ordinary? I would!

How safe are deposits in Anglo-Irish? - Askaboutmoney.com

Was it"a retail bank for the ordinary passer-by"? It want for loans or mortgages or credit cards but it was for deposits.

meriwether

Up to the 20th of September depositors in Irish banks had a deposit guarantee of €20,000 per individual. On that date it became a guarantee of €100,000 per individual per bank. The "small" depositors don't really matter. Anglo was a depositor bailout,

Non-retail would be your non-builder ordinary Joe Soap then?

ShoutingIsLeadership

One issue which I have not yet fully formed my opinion on, is he matter of deposit protection. If I recall correctly, in the days and weeks leading up to the Guarantee, the deposit protection scheme was extended from 90% of deposit (to a maximum of €20,000), to protection of €100,000 of a deposit.

The reasons cited for this were to prevent a run on the banks, and to protect people’s money. Fair enough. A decision was taken to protect a specific element of society directly, as well as to protect the overall society from the fallout of any run on the banks.

What I can’t figure out is why, when it comes to back-stopping borrower’s mortgages, say up to €100,000, borrowers are told to suck it up and pay back their debts. They are told that they should have known the risks.

Surely, though, depositors should have known the risks? Yet the taxpayer effectively underwrote €80,000 of their money, and eliminated all risk.

Thoughts, anyone?

gerhard dengler

Do you or did you have any deposits at insolvent Irish banks in receipt of bailout funding?

If so, can you please post your name and depositor information here, please. Thanks.

Or if not, can you please provide the details of any family members who fit the criteria. This is in the public interest.
I didn't have deposits or loans with Anglo or INBS.

I have deposits with some of the other lenders who were bailed out.
But the state guarantee covers those deposits as I am an ordinary depositor with a deposit account.
I never owned a bond with any bailed out Irish lender.

I have no loans that have been NAMA'd.

So there, you have my details in respect of the bailed out Irish lenders.

If it aided transparency, and if everyone else's dealing with the insolvent banks were made public, I'd have no objection to my details being made public too.

meriwether

One issue which I have not yet fully formed my opinion on, is he matter of deposit protection. If I recall correctly, in the days and weeks leading up to the Guarantee, the deposit protection scheme was extended from 90% of deposit (to a maximum of €20,000), to protection of €100,000 of a deposit.

The reasons cited for this were to prevent a run on the banks, and to protect people’s money. Fair enough. A decision was taken to protect a specific element of society directly, as well as to protect the overall society from the fallout of any run on the banks.

What I can’t figure out is why, when it comes to back-stopping borrower’s mortgages, say up to €100,000, borrowers are told to suck it up and pay back their debts. They are told that they should have known the risks.

Surely, though, depositors should have known the risks? Yet the taxpayer effectively underwrote €80,000 of their money, and eliminated all risk.

Thoughts, anyone?
I was wondering how this would come back to your mortgage.

Now I know.