• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Animal cruelty


Telemachus

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 8, 2004
Messages
6,565
Website
en.wikipedia.org
I had seen a piece on the news(forget which channel) about dogs in China being skinned alive for their pelts. The spectacle of a dog being half zapped in the head with a stun stick, skinned on the spot and then seeing the breath from it and its heart beat while hanging upside down was quite amazing.

Only recently, I think it was last year was the tourist spectacle of feeding live cattle to packs of hungry wolves banned in the northwest of China.

Makes fox-hunting seem very tame.
 

flakie

Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2004
Messages
46
Website
www.irishanimals.ie
Glass houses, etc.

Ireland is known as the puppy farm capital of Europe, breeding sickly, neglected and abused animals for the rest of the world, and that's not including the massive production of greyhounds who are mostly disposed of, and also the insistence of pet owners to not restrain nor neuter/spay their animals contributing to the almost 20000 dogs euthanised in Irish shelters every year! This doesn't include the ones found rotting in canals, rivers and tossed on the side of the road in black bags. Irish Greys are routinely rescued and sent to other countries such as the US, UK and Sweden because of the sheer numbers produced and disposed of in Ireland.

As for cats -- there is no legislation protecting them (not even like the never-enforced legislation applying to dogs). Last year I had the opportunity to film a rescue group trapping a colony of cats to have them neutered. THe cats were very poorly and many were not health-recoverable and had to be euthanised to put them out of their suffering. They were all the result of "loving pet owners" who refuse to restrain or sterilise their animals.

There are no wild or native cats in Ireland. They are all either domestic animals or animals that have strayed, been abandoned or are born to strayed and abandoned cats.

Also the failure to restrain cats from roaming has resulted inthe loss of many songbirds in Ireland, who are native where cats are not.

Yup, the Irish, champions of animal welfare the world over.

The condemnation of China's animal welfare abuses is commendable, we need to be working on the situation at home too, where people are buying the products produced by china (inadequate labelling laws) and abusing animals here.
 

badinage

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 21, 2004
Messages
776
Flakie's signature said:
He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
Immanuel Kant
Indeed, one thing virtually all serial killers have in common was torturing animals
 

flakie

Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2004
Messages
46
Website
www.irishanimals.ie
badinage said:
Flakie's signature said:
He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
Immanuel Kant
Indeed, one thing virtually all serial killers have in common was torturing animals
And perhaps a little more pointed:

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
--Gandhi
 

Zhirkov

Active member
Joined
Aug 28, 2005
Messages
112
flakie said:
Glass houses, etc.

Ireland is known as the puppy farm capital of Europe, breeding sickly, neglected and abused animals for the rest of the world, and that's not including the massive production of greyhounds who are mostly disposed of, and also the insistence of pet owners to not restrain nor neuter/spay their animals contributing to the almost 20000 dogs euthanised in Irish shelters every year! This doesn't include the ones found rotting in canals, rivers and tossed on the side of the road in black bags. Irish Greys are routinely rescued and sent to other countries such as the US, UK and Sweden because of the sheer numbers produced and disposed of in Ireland.

As for cats -- there is no legislation protecting them (not even like the never-enforced legislation applying to dogs). Last year I had the opportunity to film a rescue group trapping a colony of cats to have them neutered. THe cats were very poorly and many were not health-recoverable and had to be euthanised to put them out of their suffering. They were all the result of "loving pet owners" who refuse to restrain or sterilise their animals.

There are no wild or native cats in Ireland. They are all either domestic animals or animals that have strayed, been abandoned or are born to strayed and abandoned cats.

Also the failure to restrain cats from roaming has resulted inthe loss of many songbirds in Ireland, who are native where cats are not.

Yup, the Irish, champions of animal welfare the world over.

The condemnation of China's animal welfare abuses is commendable, we need to be working on the situation at home too, where people are buying the products produced by china (inadequate labelling laws) and abusing animals here.
What about your glass house Flakie, clubbing the cute little baby seals to death and the other Canadian government sanctioned atrocities :x
Why don't you scoot off home for yourself and stop lecturing us.
 

david

Active member
Joined
Feb 6, 2003
Messages
190
Zhirkov said:
flakie said:
Glass houses, etc.

Ireland is known as the puppy farm capital of Europe, breeding sickly, neglected and abused animals for the rest of the world, and that's not including the massive production of greyhounds who are mostly disposed of, and also the insistence of pet owners to not restrain nor neuter/spay their animals contributing to the almost 20000 dogs euthanised in Irish shelters every year! This doesn't include the ones found rotting in canals, rivers and tossed on the side of the road in black bags. Irish Greys are routinely rescued and sent to other countries such as the US, UK and Sweden because of the sheer numbers produced and disposed of in Ireland.

As for cats -- there is no legislation protecting them (not even like the never-enforced legislation applying to dogs). Last year I had the opportunity to film a rescue group trapping a colony of cats to have them neutered. THe cats were very poorly and many were not health-recoverable and had to be euthanised to put them out of their suffering. They were all the result of "loving pet owners" who refuse to restrain or sterilise their animals.

There are no wild or native cats in Ireland. They are all either domestic animals or animals that have strayed, been abandoned or are born to strayed and abandoned cats.

Also the failure to restrain cats from roaming has resulted inthe loss of many songbirds in Ireland, who are native where cats are not.

Yup, the Irish, champions of animal welfare the world over.

The condemnation of China's animal welfare abuses is commendable, we need to be working on the situation at home too, where people are buying the products produced by china (inadequate labelling laws) and abusing animals here.
What about your glass house Flakie, clubbing the cute little baby seals to death and the other Canadian government sanctioned atrocities :x
Why don't you scoot off home for yourself and stop lecturing us.
No country is perfect but jeez, what the heck is wrong with making valid points about a specific country? Respond in an adult manner if you yourself have any relevant points to make and you may earn some respect.
 

badinage

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 21, 2004
Messages
776
david said:
Zhirkov said:
What about your glass house Flakie, clubbing the cute little baby seals to death and the other Canadian government sanctioned atrocities :x
Why don't you scoot off home for yourself and stop lecturing us.
No country is perfect but jeez, what the heck is wrong with making valid points about a specific country? Respond in an adult manner if you yourself have any relevant points to make and you may earn some respect.
Zhirkov has 'issues' with gay people and assertive women.
 

FutureTaoiseach

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 20, 2005
Messages
7,992
Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
China's role in the turtle (for meat) trade is also an apalling indictment of their animal-rights record.
 

pluralist

Active member
Joined
Jan 13, 2005
Messages
180
badinage said:
Zhirkov has 'issues' with gay people and assertive women.
While that is probably correct in so far as it goes, I doubt if it represents a complete list of Zhirkov's issues. :lol:
 

Simon.D

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 5, 2005
Messages
804
flakie said:
and also the insistence of pet owners to not restrain nor neuter/spay their animals contributing to the almost 20000 dogs euthanised in Irish shelters every year!
I'm getting picky here now, but I wouldn't advocate spaying animals in the name of animal welfare.. That type of management is scarily similar to the Chinese's Policy on it's citizens.. I say give the little buggers a go at life out there.. Let em try rough it in the streets and pray they evade our genocidal mechanisms..

I've come to notice that many animal welfare activists are far too authoritarian for my liking.. ye just end up making the animals miserable.. locking our pets into a civilised prison.. In my mind an animal on the street is as happy as one in the home, if not moreso, ignorance is blissful element of every mind, it's all relative.. Yes, they may die (even painfully), but at least they've lived for a while..
 
Joined
Jul 5, 2005
Messages
13
In fairness though, though I am appauled(not shocked though surprisingly) at the thought of poor defenseless animals being bread to be tortured to death, the Chinese have a completely different culture than us, and alot older too, so we cannot judge them by our usual western "Animals are part of the family" standards.
 

Ketchup

Member
Joined
Feb 17, 2005
Messages
58
Báile Bhuirne Man said:
In fairness though, though I am appauled(not shocked though surprisingly) at the thought of poor defenseless animals being bread to be tortured to death, the Chinese have a completely different culture than us, and alot older too, so we cannot judge them by our usual western "Animals are part of the family" standards.
Can judge them by basic standards of decency, whereby living things shouldn't be tortured to death, surely?

The age of a practice shouldn't be a defence against stopping it where it is cruel.

That is, if the skinning alive of animals IS actually an ancient practice. No knowledge of that at all...
 

Ketchup

Member
Joined
Feb 17, 2005
Messages
58
Danny Invincible said:
I'm not sure I understand the moral distinction

Isn't there supposed to be one?
Yep. Humane treatment of animals, humane slaughter, tasty sauces.

Battery chickens and killing for fun would be on the far side of that fence, I'd say.
 

Simon.D

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 5, 2005
Messages
804
Yes very Humane.. the hounds, horse and huntsman get a nice day out in the countryside.. Hounds get to do a spot of hunting, Horses get to gallop about with a herd, the huntspeople get to shout, drink and eat sandwiches.. And the fox gets to outsmart them all..

Great fun for all involved..
 

Ketchup

Member
Joined
Feb 17, 2005
Messages
58
Simon.D said:
Ketchup said:
[quote="Danny Invincible":223nsi17]I'm not sure I understand the moral distinction

Isn't there supposed to be one?
Yep. Humane treatment of animals, humane slaughter, tasty sauces.

Battery chickens and killing for fun would be on the far side of that fence, I'd say.
Yes very Humane.. the hounds, horse and huntsman get a nice day out in the countryside.. Hounds get to do a spot of hunting, Horses get to gallop about with a herd, and the huntspeople get to shout, drink and eat sandwiches.. And the fox gets to outsmart them all..

Great fun for all involved..[/quote:223nsi17]

Not sure if you actually read or understood what I posted?

Humane treatment = good.
Battery chickens, and killing for fun = bad.
 
Top