• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Animal rights activist calls for bear cub to be put to sleep

TheBear

From Sky News:
  • An animal rights activist has been condemned for suggesting that an abandoned polar bear cub should be killed instead of being raised by humans.

Knut was born in Berlin Zoo last December but his mother ignored him and his brother, who later died.

Activist Frank Albrecht was quoted in the Bild newspaper, which has run photo spreads of the little bear, as saying: "Feeding by hand is not species-appropriate but a gross violation of animal protection laws.

"The zoo must kill the bear."

The comments were quickly condemned by the zoo, politicians and other animal rights groups.

"The killing of an animal has nothing to do with animal protection," said Wolfgang Apel, head of the German Federation for the Protection of Animals.

Mr Albrecht has claimed he was quoted out of context.

He explained that although he thought it was wrong of the zoo to have saved the cub's life, now that the bear can live on his own, it would be equally wrong to kill him.

"If a polar bear mother rejected the baby, then I believe the zoo must follow the instincts of nature," Mr Albrecht said.

"In the wild, it would have been left to die."

This seems to have made news around the world, with more coverage here and here. How do my fellow P.iesters feel about this? Polar bear unfree shall never be at peace? Or is it better to give this bear cub a second chance? Is the zoo exploiting the bear?

Catalpa

rockofcashel said:
Can he be eaten ?
Only Eskimos can eat Polar Bears because its part of their cultural heritage.

They should donate the little fellow to the poor starving eskimos now that they are in short supply - in fact things are so bad up there the Kimos could be taking to their Kayaks anyday now and paddling south looking for refuge...

They could be Ireland's very first enviromental refugees!

Hand the little bugger over quick! :shock:

The OD

Engels said:
rockofcashel said:
Can he be eaten ?
Idiot! :roll:
What? Why cant we? Because he's cute and cuddly? I dont think he'd taste good mind, being a carnivore (or are polar bear omnivores?) but why a cow and not a bear?

Lamb are cute, but it wouldnt make me turn down some nice chops......

Anyway, although I understand the desire to see it put down, in a world where they are becoming rare, I dont think we should kill it.

badinage

The bundle of fur with the silly name

Aachen Zoo's director said:
"It is not correct to bottle-feed a small polar bear. He will always be fixated on his keeper and will never grow to be a proper polar bear," he said. "One should have had the courage to kill him much earlier."
Yeah, because if we kill him he'll get to "grow to be a proper polar bear"

Animal rights activists say domesticating the bear is cruel, unnatural and will prevent him forming relationships with other bears in the future.
As opposed to the great, long-lasting relationships he'll form with other bears if he's dead?? Maybe they mean in the great bear party in the sky...

He's seriously cute in in this video (just click on the photo in the link)

constitutionus

im sorry but every time i see his name i pray some dyslexics are surfing the net :D

have to admit when i see animals my first thought usually is "wonder what that tastes like" too. though its a barmey argument from the animal rights activist. if the whole global warming thing is on the level the only place left to see polar bears will be zoo's cause the north poles gone ! hell i think the poor feckers have a hard time now getting from A to B because of the late/ non existant freezing of ice.

that said i'd like to see someone try messing with it when its fully grown. cute they may be but they can take your head off in a second !

badinage

constitutionus said:
if the whole global warming thing is on the level the only place left to see polar bears will be zoo's cause the north poles gone !
we can just spray paint regular bears white when that happens.

It'll make 'em easier to spot in the wild too!

The OD

badinage said:

The bundle of fur with the silly name

Aachen Zoo's director said:
"It is not correct to bottle-feed a small polar bear. He will always be fixated on his keeper and will never grow to be a proper polar bear," he said. "One should have had the courage to kill him much earlier."
Yeah, because if we kill him he'll get to "grow to be a proper polar bear"

Animal rights activists say domesticating the bear is cruel, unnatural and will prevent him forming relationships with other bears in the future.
As opposed to the great, long-lasting relationships he'll form with other bears if he's dead?? Maybe they mean in the great bear party in the sky...

He's seriously cute in in this video (just click on the photo in the link)
As far as I am aware, no matter how cruel they may say it to be, if it could speak , I am sure little knut would say 'please dont kill me.....' possibly voiced by the delightful Emo Phillips or some other comedic figure.

Someone should just tell that Albrecht twatface to shut up - its a cuddly little bear, the mean git......

Trojanhorse

badinage said:
constitutionus said:
if the whole global warming thing is on the level the only place left to see polar bears will be zoo's cause the north poles gone !

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dont give FF any ideas now that they have got all down with the environment and stuff!

What a cute bear, seriously what evil monster would want to put it down........any polar bears I ve every seen on TV have always been covered in blood from savaging a seal or penguin whatever ....would we really want that to happen this little mite!

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Trojanhorse said:
badinage said:
constitutionus said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dont give FF any ideas now that they have got all down with the environment and stuff!

What a cute bear, seriously what evil monster would want to put it down........any polar bears I ve every seen on TV have always been covered in blood from savaging a seal or penguin whatever ....would we really want that to happen this little mite!
Course we wouldn't TH.. how terrible it would be if we were to let the bear grow up and act upon its natural tendencies, and actually want to have a nice seal for lunch

Sure lets go the whole hog, and raise him as a vegetarian... whats evolution anyway, only some story made up by scientists...

As for other questions raised on the thread

1. If the global warming gets so bad that the polar caps melt, then trust me, we wont be going to zoo's either.. unless we, and the rest of the animals grow gills like Kevin Costner in Waterworld

2. No point spray painting polar bears either. Their fur actually isn't white, their skin is, the fur is transparent (thank you very much National Geographic/Daily Mirror offer)

3. Why call me an idiot for suggesting we eat the bear ? why not eat him ? Around the world, just about every animal that can be eaten by humans, is eaten by humans, including polar bears as Catalpa pointed out, so why not ? with some kidneys beans and a nice Chianti maybe...

Or, would I be exceedingly cruel for suggesting.. that we allow nature take its course.. and accept that this bear, for whatever reason was rejected by its parents, and should be left to die, as nature intended

(cue an abortion debate)

Come on people.. debate

baldur0300

rockofcashel said:
Can he be eaten ?
Nope too much vitamin A. Would poison you. So guess he should be kept alive

baldur0300

rockofcashel said:
baldur0300 said:
rockofcashel said:
Can he be eaten ?
Is that conclusive, or just made up ?
Something from column A, something from column B. People have died from vitamin A poisoning from eating polar bear livers. Polar bear fat is also high in vitamin A though probably not high enough to be deadly.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
baldur0300 said:
rockofcashel said:
baldur0300 said:
rockofcashel said:
Can he be eaten ?
Is that conclusive, or just made up ?
Something from column A, something from column B. People have died from vitamin A poisoning from eating polar bear livers. Polar bear fat is also high in vitamin A though probably not high enough to be deadly.
well we're not talking about eating a whole adult polar bear.. just a small cub

hardly enough to get Vit A poisoning.. and I'd probably be sharing it with a number of dinner friends

JCSkinner

Website
skinflicks.blogspot.com
rockofcashel said:
Can he be eaten ?
Not the liver. It's poisonous to humans, such are the levels of vitamin A.
But listen, is there any chance of putting my name down for the pelt?

terry666

Many artic explorers have eaten polar bear, it the liver thats toxic with too much vitamin A.

Bobb

rockofcashel said:

hardly enough to get Vit A poisoning.. and I'd probably be sharing it with a number of dinner friends
Tipp style, raw without salt :)

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Bobb said:
rockofcashel said:

Tipp style, raw without salt :)
Get in there John Doyle

Catalpa

He's probably better off making a break by jumping the fence.

Probably end up eating out of trash cans up and wandering the streets, begging for a living and selling the Big Issue ...

the poor little Knut! :?