Ann Lovett - Granard knows. Granard must talk

Emily Davison

Most of you are in Ireland. Buy the Irish Times today. Learn what it was to be young in Ireland in 1984. Learn about lies. About cover ups. Lies even going on for 30 years. About how Church, state, government, authorities will go to any length to prevent the truth from coming out. I hope some more of the people in Granard, a town forever tainted in our memories finally begin to tell the truth and heals itself.

Also glad to learn from Ricky that he and Ann had a loving and fun relationship. There is a beautiful picture of her looking happy. A nicer memory than her alone dying slowly in a grotto cradling her dead baby. So alone. So desperate.

Last edited:

Watcher2

Yep. The 80s was a pretty dismal, backward, dirty little secret, curtain twitching, backstabbing, filthmonering, hat tipping, knee bending, autocratic, servile dust bowl of craven gombeenery.

silverharp

i was a teenager in the 80's , Dublin was fine, i dont remember any oppression , maybe it was different down da bog

raetsel

i was a teenager in the 80's , Dublin was fine, i dont remember any oppression , maybe it was different down da bog
A teenager with his head permanently inserted up his own hole, and evidently it has never come down...........................:)

raetsel

Catalpast

Well I wasn't a teenager in the 80's

- but Dublin was a pretty open place back then.

TBH even today a girl of 15 getting pregnant would raise eyebrows...

Mind you the tragic case of Anne Lovett was seized by the Church Haters from day 1 and exploited to the full.

bokuden

The plonker that is Ryan Tubridy said the same sactimonious guff regarding the Kerry babies case. Until it was pointed out to him that the whole thing was played out in the Dublin Courts by the Dublin based legal establishment.

Emily Davison

The plonker that is Ryan Tubridy said the same sactimonious guff regarding the Kerry babies case. Until it was pointed out to him that the whole thing was played out in the Dublin Courts by the Dublin based legal establishment.
The Tribunal was in Kerry.

Niall996

Yep. The 80s was a pretty dismal, backward, dirty little secret, curtain twitching, backstabbing, filthmonering, hat tipping, knee bending, autocratic, servile dust bowl of craven gombeenery.
It still is in some quarters. Look at what happened to a couple of rugby players over some texts. There are still those types of curtain twitching women out there.

cricket

Around the same time a teacher in New Ross was fired because she was in a relationship with a guy to whom she was not married and had a child by him.

Orbit v2

Well I wasn't a teenager in the 80's

- but Dublin was a pretty open place back then.

TBH even today a girl of 15 getting pregnant would raise eyebrows...

Mind you the tragic case of Anne Lovett was seized by the Church Haters from day 1 and exploited to the full.
The story is quite believable really. I could imagine a degree of compassion at a personal level from the church, but cover-up was the number one priority.

Fritzbox

I can't say I was completely happy and satisfied as a boy growing up in 1980s Ireland - but that had nothing to do with the actual decade itself, mind you.

shoneen

I grew up in the midlands. Aside from boredom and getting a few belts in school (from other students), no oppression springs to mind.

Fr. Hank Tree

Really? As in can you really stand over such a statement?

Reads like father of baby claiming Anne was raped to absolve himself of any blame.

Then seeking to apportion blame to anybody and all hoping it will stick.

bokuden

derryman

Popular Threads

Most Replies