Anne Brolly Quits SF

Cruimh

Sinn Féin's Anne Brolly quits party 'over abortion stance' - BBC News

A high-profile member of Sinn Féin in County Londonderry said she has left the party because of its stance on abortion.
Anne Brolly served on Limavady council for nearly 15 years. Her husband, Francie, is a former Sinn Féin MLA.
Last year, Sinn Féin changed its abortion policy to allow terminations in cases of fatal foetal abnormality.
Mrs Brolly told the BBC that: "With regard to abortion... I can't compromise on principle".
She added: "I also believe that the party has to be reflective of all the views of all the people who vote for them and I don't think that that is maybe happening.
"It's an abuse of power to make people vote against their conscience, so it was from that perspective that I left Sinn Féin."
A spokesperson for Sinn Féin said: "Our position on abortion has been debated and agreed over a long period of time at Ard Fheiseanna."
Francie is staying in the party to try and change it from within ....

Anne and Francie Brolly join new anti-abortion group - The Irish News

TWO former Sinn Féin politicians have emerged as leading figures in a new pressure group formed to oppose abortion on both sides of the border.

Anne and Francie Brolly, from Dungiven in Co Derry, are members of Cherish All The Children Equally which held its first meeting in the north last weekend.
It'll be interesting to see if Cherish All the Children Equally builds a head of steam and if SF do a U turn and allow a free vote - Mrs Brolly said that she would have stayed in the party if that had been the case.

derryman

Sinn Féin's Anne Brolly quits party 'over abortion stance' - BBC News

Francie is staying in the party to try and change it from within ....

Anne and Francie Brolly join new anti-abortion group - The Irish News

It'll be interesting to see if Cherish All the Children Equally builds a head of steam and if SF do a U turn and allow a free vote - Mrs Brolly said that she would have stayed in the party if that had been the case.
Well good for her. I think SF made a wrong call on this.

Accidental sock

Have I wandered into something? I only came in to ask to use the loo....

Strawberry

This is no doubt going to turn into the usual nutty abortion thread, mixed in with the usual nutty SF are baaad thread, so before it does I'll just say that abortion is one of those issues when all parties should allow a free vote rather than imposing a party line.

GDPR

I'm not sure how relevant your Duck Tweet Gibberish thread is to this .....
Your OP has all of three original lines, so I thought I'd give people something interesting and well written to read.

GDPR

Why wont Sinn Fein allow a free vote on abortion related issues? Why the turn around on their stance on Brussels?

Irish-Rationalist

Perhaps Miss Brolly could persuade a significant number of her colleagues to follow suit? Sinn Fein, what a deplorable conglomerate of ragamuffins and street urchins.

between the bridges

between the bridges

Why wont Sinn Fein allow a free vote abortion related issues? Why the turn around on their stance on Brussels?
If the Armani council allows free thought the drone project is fvcked...

GDPR

If the Armani council allows free thought the drone project is fvcked...
Actually there is a North/South split it seems among on the ground Shinners about Brussels. Their many of their "natural" voters in NI though have abandoned them over the abortion question.

Boy M5

This is no doubt going to turn into the usual nutty abortion thread, mixed in with the usual nutty SF are baaad thread, so before it does I'll just say that abortion is one of those issues when all parties should allow a free vote rather than imposing a party line.
Our dear friend & compatriot Cruimh is leaning back in his chair inhaling a fag and smiling in a beatific way.

It's pure cat nip, SF, abortion - like putting "chum" in the sea in the coast off Cape Town - all the psycho. sharks will descend and tear chunks out of each other for no reason.

the secretary

The heading should be 'Anne Brolly sees sense and quits SF'

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies