Annual Poppy Thread

S

SeamusNapoleon

Some fella was wearing it there commenting on the Saville/BBC scandal.
It seems like the time is right to begin the annual poppy-wearing thread - it's always good craic in fairness.

Some of the usual arguments:

1. One does not need to wear the red poppy to remember or honour their veteran or deceased ancestors - at least not exclusively. White poppies exist for those who might believe that the First World War was monumentally disastrous for the people of Europe and beyond.

2. The money for red poppies funds the British Legion. Thus, while any donations support veterans of the Second World War, such money can also go to the relief of ex-soldiers involved in some of the less glorious episodes involving the British army.

What have I missed?

ruserious

The utter cringyness when every TV presenter is made where something for charity.

TommyO'Brien

zoo

toconn

Can we not agree to let those who want to wear one , wear it and those who do not want to wear one not to , without judging every motive ! live and let live.

Clanrickard

You can wear what you like in a free country but the bullying in the UK on people with a public profile is ridiculous. It galls me to see Irish presenters wear them. For once one of them could tell the TV to feck off. It has become a symbol of one up-man-ship and boorish nationalism in contrast to what it was. Furthermore the right to wear comes with the right to cast aspersions on those who wear it. I get the feeling the Irish people who wear it do so as a coat trailing exercise towards republicans rather than as an any genuine desire to remember the poor sods who died.

RobertW

The utter cringyness when every TV presenter is made where something for charity.
RED poppies are worn because when the trenches were dug during both wars their seeds, which were buried in the soil, were brought to the surface.

They could then germinate following the wars as they were exposed to light.

Now many former citizens of this country fought very noble causes and gave their lives fighting to protect our way of life from political extremism in Europe during the first half of the last century.

There is nothing cringeworthy about anyone wearing a poppy.

Northsideman

milestogo

RED poppies are worn because when the trenches were dug during both wars their seeds, which were buried in the soil, were brought to the surface.

Now many former citizens of this country fought very noble causes and gave their lives fighting to protect our way of life from political extremism in Europe during the first half of the last century.

Some believe it is out of respect for the British Opium trade.

Tin Foil Hat

Was forcing everyone who stands in front of a TV camera to wear a political symbol, for one month of every year, part of the way of life they fought and gave their lives for?

S

SeamusNapoleon

It also honours the Black and Tan Bastards who burned my Grandparent's house, you also missed that!
I didn't. Sort of.
I linked to a tasteless deed of the British army that arguably is far worse than house-burning.

I will assume you did not read the OP except maybe the title, since this is covered in the OP.

stoichkov

i saw gideon osborne wearing one on sky news at lunchtime today. it really became him.

toconn

It also honours the Black and Tan Bastards who burned my Grandparent's house, you also missed that!
They murdered my great grand parents in Cork too ( fact by the way , Merrypole lane off Blarney Street) , but how long do you want me hate for ? a lot of Men also gave a lot to protect Europe from the Nazis , a good enough venture if you ask me. You can pick holes all over the place but you have to move on , live and let live !
I do however disagree with the subtle forcing of people to wear one , if don't agree don't.

Northsideman

I didn't. Sort of.
I linked to a tasteless deed of the British army that arguably is far worse than house-burning.
Oh they didn't just burn the house, they first helped my grandmother carry out all the valuables and then smashed them up in front of her and then got round to burning the house, scum or what?

oggy

I have ancestors killed at the Somme and Civil War here. Would have no problem wearing the poppy but japers am afraid of a lunatic coming up behind me and killing me stone dead

ruserious

Throwing words in the mouth there old chap. I am refering to the systematic wearing of poppies by every TV presenter in the UK. Not what they represent.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies