Another 1 bites the dust...or should the Isle of Man TT now be banned?

Catalpast

Yet another biker has been killed at the annual Isle of Man TT race

This time the victim was from Stamullen Co Meath

He is the third contestant to be killed in just 3 days!!!

Irish road racer Alan Bonner has died after a crash during qualifying at the Isle of Man TT.

The 33-year old from Stamullen, Co Meath crashed at the 33rd Milestone the Mountain section during qualifying for the Senior TT.

Bonner's death is the third at this year's event, following the fatal crashes of Jochem van den Hoek and Davey Lambert. ..

Over the past 10 years, 32 riders have been killed at the event.
https://www.rte.ie/sport/motorsport/2017/0607/881031-alan-bonner/

Like this is totally insane!

This huge death toll would not be tolerated in any other sport in these islands or probably anywhere elsewhere either where the Rule of Law applies

So why is it allowed on the Isle of Man?

OK I realise that it is hugely popular & profitable and the participants do so of their own free will

- but do not the organisers of this event not have any sense of moral responsibility to the at least families of these victims?

Surely they must come under the remit of some overall regulatory body in the UK?

What have they got to say about all this?

I'm sure there are posters here on P.ie who have at least some insight into this

I mean people want to ban Fox Hunting

- but the slaughter of young men on this island goes on year after year

- for the entertainment of the Masses.

fat finger

Irish road racer Alan Bonner has died after a crash during qualifying at the Isle of Man TT.

The 33-year old from Stamullen, Co Meath crashed at the 33rd Milestone the Mountain section during qualifying for the Senior TT.

Bonner's death is the third at this year's event, following the fatal crashes of Jochem van den Hoek and Davey Lambert. ..

This huge death toll would not be tolerated in any other sport in these islands or probably anywhere elsewhere either where the Rule of Law applies

OK I realise that it is hugely popular & profitable and the participants do so of their own free will

- but do not the organisers of this event not have any sense of moral responsibility to the at least families of these victims?

Surely they must come under the remit of some overall regulatory body in the UK?

I'm sure there are posters here on P.ie who have at least some insight into this

I know an ex biker who near enough killed himself in a crash some years ago, hasn't been able to get on a bike since but still dreams of getting back in the saddle. At this time of year there's only one place he wants to be, the Isle of Man TT races! His life, his choices

Catalpast

I know an ex biker who near enough killed himself in a crash some years ago, hasn't been able to get on a bike since but still dreams of getting back in the saddle. At this time of year there's only one place he wants to be, the Isle of Man TT races! His life, his choices
Yes I agree they are out there

- but I cant think of any other sport where such a death toll would be tolerated

- and no public Outcry!

Look at all the who ha that has surrounded MMA recently

- and calls for it to be banned...

razorblade

No sure we might as well ban formula 1 in that case, lots of things people do carry risks of serious injury or death, should they all be banned as well.

runwiththewind

If this was boxing, the outrage would be deafening.

Their sport, their choice, I suppose.

TippTopp

Everyone who drives a road bike knows the risk involved, multiply that by 100 for those who race.

Its a life choice and every biker knows the reality. Condolences to the families of the bikers involved.

darkhorse

Too much money at stake - they won't ban it no matter how many people are killed
But they certainly should

Catalpast

It should be regulated better than it is that is for sure

Formula 1 very rarely sees fatal accidents these days

- compare that to 1950s-1970s

- when death was commonplace

It's not Macho to some people to want to enjoy the sport

- and live to tell the tale...

If F1 can regulate their drivers, cars and tracks to match some level of Safety

- is it too much to ask the organiser of the TT

- to do the same....

Hunter-Gatherer

Everyone who drives a road bike knows the risk involved, multiply that by 100 for those who race.

Its a life choice and every biker knows the reality. Condolences to the families of the bikers involved.
this. you need your head examined if you want to race around the humpbacked bridges and dry stonewalls of d'isle of man on a supercharged japanese deathtrap. RiP to the latest fatalities.

ergo2

Could the title of the thread be amended? Perhaps "died" or "killed" instead of "bites the dust"

Sympathies with the next of kin of the deceased.

ger12

Such a needless waste of life.

Catalpast

Could the title of the thread be amended? Perhaps "died" or "killed" instead of "bites the dust"

Sympathies with the next of kin of the deceased.
It was meant to Shock!

- yes of course sympathy to his family

But my OP is meant to jolt people out of their complacency!

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Not sure the UK regulatory authorities would have any say. The Isle of Man has its own parliament and the TT brings in a huge amount of revenue to the island each year.

As we all know revenue trumps the casualty list every time. If you went down the road of banning everything that contained the risk to mortality where would the principle end?

The Paris-Dakar rally would be off. So would most off-track motor sports. There have already been attempts to ban cheddar rolling down a hillside in Somerset or somewhere on the basis of the risk to the cheese-chasers.

Four fellows I knew from my teenage years were killed in motorcycle accidents on the roads and they weren't racing- one of them doing 20 miles an hour and the front wheel went into a pothole, bike flipped over and he broke his neck.

People will always risk everything at the edge of the competitive spirit and I'm not sure you can legislate that away. You would only drive the activity underground in a temporary attempt at suppression.

Clanrickard

As we all know revenue trumps the casualty list every time. If you went down the road of banning everything that contained the risk to mortality where would the principle end?.
Should we re=open the colosseum? If there is money involved people will do it but that does not mean we should allow it.

Hunter-Gatherer

Should we re=open the colosseum? If there is money involved people will do it but that does not mean we should allow it.
was an MMA fighter killed in Ireland just in the last year ? i guess its all about risk percentages. There is probably somebody out there who got killed playing tiddlywinks.....so do we ban it ? Whereas Russian Roulette in the style of 'the Deer Hunter' is probably a leisure activity that i would not recommend.

dangerous stuff that is legal and legit
- horse racing
- cycling
- smoking
- skiing
- charlie hebdo cartoonists
- being openly gay in Putin's russia
etc etc

we are all adults and must take responsibility for our own actions. So long as you are not hurting or endangering any third party, isnt it really nobody's business but your own.

Ireniall

I took part in an argument about this before. I was initially of the same view as yourself until someone pointed out that apparently the numbers killed are not out of line with the normal when you consider the sheer number of bikers descending on the place for a short period. I still don't entirely go along with the argument but it is probably substantially true. However I know that these motor races get a certain section of the young, male, no-cop-on population into tizzies of excitement and they try to emulate what they see on the track with dangerous results.

silverharp

its still safer than climbing Mt Everest.

'orebel

No.

redneck

short of banning it, the authorities should look at every aspect from a safety point of view. The bikes, the track, the road surface the speeds and so on.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies