• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

Buchaill Dana

Even by the standards of the time, this one is off.

Freeman nut takes rent but doesn't pay mortgage. KBC sell on to a Goldman Sachs vulture fund who sell the property to a confidential buyer. Buyer hires goons to illegally evict and smash the place up with Gardai assistance.

The new owners lawyer presents at a Garda station who don't bother checking to see if notice was served or was any documentation in place, but go and assist. Both the Gardai and lawyer should be strung up, but don't hold your breath.

cobhguy

Even by the standards of the time, this one is off.

Freeman nut takes rent but doesn't pay mortgage. KBC sell on to a Goldman Sachs vulture fund who sell the property to a confidential buyer. Buyer hires goons to illegally evict and smash the place up with Gardai assistance.

The new owners lawyer presents at a Garda station who don't bother checking to see if notice was served or was any documentation in place, but go and assist. Both the Gardai and lawyer should be strung up, but don't hold your breath.

This is some cock up by the Gardai. They should of checked the paper work. The people doing the eviction should of been arrested for criminal damage, public order and assault.

Saying all of that, why is the original landlord still collecting the rent and why did he not inform the tenants that the building was sold. Seem he was only looking out for himself and profiting at the unwitting tenant's expense.

"He said there was a legal dispute over it since 2017 with a property fund, Beltany Property Finance.
“That has not been finally resolved, that has not been fully resolved,”

It has already been sold, so it is well resolved, whos he kidding scamming the tenants.

Splodge

This is some cock up by the Gardai. They should of checked the paper work. The people doing the eviction should of been arrested for criminal damage, public order and assault.

Saying all of that, why is the original landlord still collecting the rent and why did he not inform the tenants that the building was sold. Seem he was only looking out for himself and profiting at the unwitting tenant's expense.

"He said there was a legal dispute over it since 2017 with a property fund, Beltany Property Finance.
“That has not been finally resolved, that has not been fully resolved,”

It has already been sold, so it is well resolved, whos he kidding scamming the tenants.
Noonan has a lot to answer for regarding vulture funds in this country.

Sync

The video posted shows the Gardai saying that they were comfortable notice was given and that the guys carrying out the eviction had presented the relevant paperwork. The police are clear that the former tenants have no further right to be there. The main recorder is clear he's been in facebook discussions at least with the people trying to evict him.

So where's the evidence to conclude the eviction was illegal? Or that the gardai were doing anything other than keeping the peace? Not sure about Jack Power's tweet either. He's accusing the tenants of a crime which seems illjudged.

cobhguy

The video posted shows the Gardai saying that they were comfortable notice was given and that the guys carrying out the eviction had presented the relevant paperwork. The police are clear that the former tenants have no further right to be there. The main recorder is clear he's been in facebook discussions at least with the people trying to evict him.

So where's the evidence to conclude the eviction was illegal? Or that the gardai were doing anything other than keeping the peace? Not sure about Jack Power's tweet either. He's accusing the tenants of a crime which seems illjudged.
This is from the Journal,

“ Solicitor Gary Daly, who is representing two of the tenants, told TheJournal.ie “there is no legal document circulating which would form the basis for a lawfully authorised eviction”.

My clients have not been served with one and to best of knowledge gardaí were not in possession of a court order or order of Residential Tenancies Board authorising the eviction of tenants from the property,” he said.

CEO Anthony Flynn said they are still trying to establish who currently owns the property.

“There seems to be a dispute between two companies about it but whatever the dispute is, that’s between the companies. In the documentation there is a cease and desist notification and it seems to be on that basis that they were asked to remove themselves and their belongings from the property. There is no court order.”

Flynn said gardaí have been informed of the legal advice and the nine tenants have now gained access to the building they had been renting.

"

Dame_Enda

Does this have anything to do with the changes in the law on tenancies?

Sync

So that's not evidence, that's a guy saying something. On the other side of that guy saying something, you've got the police saying they've seen the documentation, that the documentation serves as notice to their eyes and that the tenants have no right to remain.

I see the claim it's illegal. I see no evidence from that video that the gardai behaved unreasonably at all. If they didn't see the paperwork to the point of satisfaction that it was a legal eviction, then absolutely: That's terrible and action should be taken.

If the DHCA are the guys who assisted in breaking into the property after an eviction the Gardai viewed as lawful then I don't care what their view is. That's a criminal act. I'm not going to take the view of people who have just broken the law on what the law is.

amsterdemmetje

I'm always wary of these stories and the use of social media when telling them. You never get the whole truth of exactly what's happening and I'm sure the Garda present have seen the legal paper work they needed to oversee the eviction. People have their strings pulled very easily when the whole truth is not on display. Its like some of the 20 seconds FB clips and frothing outrage that comes when Garda getting physical with someone moving them on, you never see the clips before or afterwards.

Ive went through it myself several times working the doors when security are seen to be be heavy handed on SM clips with someone, the truth is not always visible.

Emily Davison

The only illegality I see is tenants illegally going into a secured property.

The OP is entirely based on Facebook type sources, with cleverly worded sound bites and specific clips to give a particular slant.

Journalists should be asking were tenant actually paying rent.

Or who actually broke the toilets. Nobody has heard of a tenant knowing he’s going to be evicted causing damage.

The men in black have to do their job. Otherwise we are saying there can never be an eviction ever.

Buchaill Dana

The only illegality I see is tenants illegally going into a secured property.

The OP is entirely based on Facebook type sources, with cleverly worded sound bites and specific clips to give a particular slant.

Journalists should be asking were tenant actually paying rent.

Or who actually broke the toilets. Nobody has heard of a tenant knowing he’s going to be evicted causing damage.

The men in black have to do their job. Otherwise we are saying there can never be an eviction ever.
The Irish Times is a 'facebook type source'?

Nobody is claimimg the tenents are in rent arrears.

Antóin Mac Comháin

Wrong. What the so-called DCHA and Catu should have done is canvassed the area, put control into the hands of the local tenants and brought numbers out onto the streets to prevent the eviction: It's self-evident that 'an informal group of just a few core members', haven't got the ability to do that. If only 1 in a hundred tenants of a potential 20,000 responded, that would've meant 200 people standing between the evictees and the goon-squad.

Marcos the black

Noonan has a lot to answer for regarding vulture funds in this country.
There needs to be consequences for non payment of debts/loans/bills etc.
Ireland is very very soft on people who don't pay their mortgage. Someone really has to "not engage" i.e give the 2 fingers to the banks in order to have their mortgage sent to a vulture fund.
Some people feel that they don't have to pay debts, and that someone else will pay for them. Unfortunately in most cases in Ireland, they're right

Antóin Mac Comháin

I'm always wary of these stories...
Well, I'm always wary of Landlords...

The only illegality I see is tenants illegally going into a secured property...
Tenants in that area are being charged extortionate rates. The rent is always in excess of what the Landlords declare to the tax man. They will pay up to 5 figure sums to protect their racket, through the intimidation of the tenants. Is that legal?

Sync

Of course it's not. Ireland has very restrictive laws on rent protection and evictions. Any breaches of those should be dealt with severely.

roc_

Last edited:
Last edited:
said:
VIDEO of the eviction
Whatever about one or other "logic" offered up to justify it, and "legalities" and "illegalities", it's a bit mad to see all these normal Irish people, the Gardai, the men doing the grunt work of the eviction, switching roles so starkly.

The Irish peasant evictions may have receded from living memory, but still.

Those poor people may not be perfect, we may look down on their living arrangements and disorderly house-keeping, their struggles to get dignified employment, and adapt etc.

It may be a cliche at this stage to hark back to our own experiences. But still.

Plus ca change, c'est la meme chose.

resized_irish-land-war-evictions-1.jpg

Emily Davison

“ Solicitor Gary Daly, who is representing two of the tenants, told TheJournal.ie “there is no legal document circulating which would form the basis for a lawfully authorised eviction”.

My clients have not been served with one and to best of knowledge gardaí were not in possession of a court order or order of Residential Tenancies Board authorising the eviction of tenants from the property,” he said.
Let's just take that statement. Daly stating something as fact. How does he actually know there is no legal document 'circulating'.
Let's take the second sentence. That Daly's clients have not been served with a legal document. That could be entirely true. Becuase maybe his clients are not actually legally tenants. They could be there as anything. Visitors, squatters, illegal tenants, tenants unknown to the owner. The real question is who was served with documentation. There is no way in hell this happened without some legal process having being gone on.

And we do know that the Gardai were informed that the eviction would take place. Sounds like an owner with all his ducks in a row to me.

I'd bet anything no rent was being paid. And I see in the newspapers they are screaming the racist card too.

Daly is such an expert he actually doesn't know that an order of the Residential Tenancies Board is toothless. He's also unware that this is not a matter for the Gardai. The Gardai don't process evictions or deal with them. Their job is to stand aside and keep the peace if necessary.

The police weren't there to evict. They weren't there because the tenants called them to try and get them to stop the eviction. It's clear to me that they did nothing because it was a legal eviction.

But as usual we'll get everybody screaming blue murder because everybody should be housed for free always.

D

Deleted member 51790

The chap doing the eviction in the video says that a 7 day notice of the eviction was posted on Facebook, so it was clearly a legal eviction as it satisfied notice requirements.

Nice touch by the gang doing the evictions to attach the Irish Tricolor to their tops to make sure no one could accuse them of being former loyalist paramilitaries. We all remember the balaclavad loyalist gang being protected by the balaclavad Gardai during evictions in Dublin last few years was terrible PR

Not sure why the Gardai are being criticised here or the legality of them assisting the eviction is being questioned when it was confirmed that a 7 day notice of eviction had been posted on Facebook, which has the same legal standing as a court order. Why would the female Garda care if they were being homeless when it was clear that her concern should be on her slightly out off place hair that needed to be repeatedly put back into place.

Sick to death of poor people, in particular poor non white people always playing the victim card. One can hardly expect them to even know if what was happenning to them was legal or not. Nothing to see here, move along everyone.

Emily Davison

Why would the female Garda care if they were being homeless when it was clear that her concern should be on her slightly out off place hair that needed to be repeatedly put back into place.
It's nothing to do with not caring. And the Garda didn't say she didn't care. Evictions are distressing. Including for the Gardai. But the Gardai can do nothing if the eviction is legal. All they can do is keep the peace. The people evicted need to go to Dublin Council for housing. Or find somewhere else to live.

bob3344

The Irish peasant evictions may have receded from living memory, but still.

Those poor people may not be perfect, we may look down on their living arrangements and disorderly house-keeping, their struggles to get dignified employment, and adapt etc.

It may be a cliche at this stage to hark back to our own experiences. But still.

Plus ca change, c'est la meme chose.

resized_irish-land-war-evictions-1.jpg
Absolutely ridiculous comparison

You want to make sure that the housing situation doesn't improve & rents remain absurdly high ?

Keep preventing evictions, and reduce the number of landlords by making renting out properties too risky

D

Deleted member 51790

I'd bet anything no rent was being paid. And I see in the newspapers they are screaming the racist card too.
Emily is a landlord who has opinions about non-white people that she feels she would be attacked for is she expressed them unapoligetically in public.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom