• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Another Election Promise broken by FG/LAB

Ulster-Lad

FG and Labour both denied during election campaigning that they would sell any forestry land owned by Coillte. Now today it has been confirmed in the Dáil that the government is to sell over 1100 acres of forest land in Donegal. The total amount of forestry sold in 2012 was 346 hectares nationally. This year the government plans to sell another 440 hectares in Donegal alone.

So another election promise broken but that is normal for the government now.

CONFIRMED: GOVERNMENT TO SELL DONEGAL FORESTS | Donegal Daily

elliebee

FG and Labour both denied during election campaigning that they would sell any forestry land owned by Coillte. Now today it has been confirmed in the Dáil that the government is to sell over 1100 acres of forest land in Donegal. The total amount of forestry sold in 2012 was 346 hectares nationally. This year the government plans to sell another 440 hectares in Donegal alone.

Another porky pie uncovered more like.

Cellach

As far as I remember you pay almost no tax on profits from forestry. This could be a very good investment for any aspiring gombeens. I might even see if I could borrow a few quid myself.

Grey Area

Dick Spring is/was an investor in forestry.

culmore

Is it the land or just the trees they are selling, if just the trees no problem , u set a crop to make money so when its ready u sell it and replant .

Ulster-Lad

Is it the land or just the trees they are selling, if just the trees no problem , u set a crop to make money so when its ready u sell it and replant .
This is in the article I cited.

Speaking today in response to PQs submitted by him on the issue, Donegal South West TD Pearse Doherty has expressed his anger and concern at the decision to sell 1,109 acres of Coillte land in the County.

Sync

Coillte to sell 1,109-acre forest in Co Donegal by public tender | Irish Examiner

Each year since 2003, between 800 and 1,460 acres were sold nationwide, for diverse uses including housing, commercial developments, and windfarms.
Shock as Coillte continue doing business the way they have for the last decade.

Coillte: About Coillte

So they're selling 1100 acres (.1% of the national forests). So what?

We complain all the time that the McCarthy report was implemented. This is one of the recommendations in that report.

I'm not saying there isn't an argument against this sale but y'know....it's be nice if someone stated what the objection to the sale of this tiny % of land is.

Sync

Coillte to sell 1,109-acre forest in Co Donegal by public tender | Irish Examiner

Each year since 2003, between 800 and 1,460 acres were sold nationwide, for diverse uses including housing, commercial developments, and windfarms.

We complain all the time that the McCarthy report was implemented. This is one of the recommendations in that report.

I'm not saying there isn't an argument against this sale but y'know....it's be nice if someone stated what the objection to the sale of this tiny % of land is.

Spanner Island

Sadly this has always been on the cards...

And if Kenny & Co. keep allowing rings to be run around them in Europe this will only be the start...

Because if/when Merkel is re-elected and it's full steam ahead for the EU federation... you can bet your last cent that any bullsh!t 'deal' that Kenny and Co. try and sell as a win will in fact be a massive lose... and will include the plundering of state assets and the giving up of our corporate tax rate and all the rest as Ireland is reduced to a nice holiday destination for richer Europeans living in real economies who haven't been sold out by their elected representatives...

Ulster-Lad

It is another broken election promise by the government. That is one objection there. Is there a running tally on the broken promises now?

Maybe we just take Rabbitte at his word that politicians lie to get elected? Lets see Roscommon, Lisbon, Forests, Frankfurt's Way, Child Benefit cuts, and more.

Last edited:

Pat Gill

Website
www.energyco-ops.ie
Twitter
Pat_Gill

I remember a thread a while ago which degenerated into another moanfest about semi state companies not earning their way.

Well Coillte seem to be doing all they can to pay their way at the moment

Porkypie

The leaves are being sold to the garden centers as compost??? Yes it is the land. :confused:

Maothail Lad

It sets a precedent if they can sell that much they could sell it all

Ramon Mercadar

As far as I remember you pay almost no tax on profits from forestry. This could be a very good investment for any aspiring gombeens. I might even see if I could borrow a few quid myself.
Probably difficult to find out who the buyers are, they will use front companies. The Golden Circle lives.

Kev408

I think the point of theOP is the fact that the government promised no Coillte land would be sold. Regardless of the size of the land the government broke their word again.

At least I think that's the point.

Ulster-Lad

I think the point of theOP is the fact that the government promised no Coillte land would be sold. Regardless of the size of the land the government broke their word again.

It is

Kev408

I think you'll find government supporters do exactly what Gilmore did in the Dail today. When you ask a valid question or make a valid point they deflect. It's just another form of lying.

Harmonica

Even from the article the OP linked it days that Coillte sold land last year too. I would guess they do it every year. Maybe they also buy some other land.

Sync

Oh. Right. So for some people if a govt change their position from election time, regardless of analysing the decision and the rights or wrongs of that change it's automatically incorrect? That's uuuuuh. Wow. There's no difference between that mentality and the defend defend defend mentality of some of the govt's fans.