Another electoral court action in prospect- Seanad Reform

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
Seems that with a general election likely in the next while the independent senators are talking about taking a court action to coerce the government into legislating for some minimal form of Seanad Reform with respect to their seats. Senators O'Toole and Bacik are definitely involved that I'm aware of. Could be limited to them or involve the others.

A bit overdue but still welcome I'd say.

livingstone

I'm not sure what grounds they'd have. Possibly the referendum in the 1970's but that allowed rather than mandated some reform of the University seats.

Really can't see the grounds here - the system as it is is laid down in the constitution.

corelli

Seems that with a general election likely in the next while the independent senators are talking about taking a court action to coerce the government into legislating for some minimal form of Seanad Reform with respect to their seats. Senators O'Toole and Bacik are definitely involved that I'm aware of. Could be limited to them or involve the others.

A bit overdue but still welcome I'd say.
Thats all a bit generic. On what basis and to achieve what, exactly?

cedissapointed

''Thats all a bit generic. On what basis and to achieve what, exactly?''To achieve a balance and to save money these peoples expenses are not in the red cents you know.We have people like good ol ivor putting an awful tax on our public,we could do with less of them,whatever about the senate being a problem,go and take at a look at the numbers in the dail and the county councillors in ireland,not to mention the semi state agencies like FAS (That have been responsible for robbing jobs from the community it enters since its establishment date),and JOBFIT..

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
Thats all a bit generic. On what basis and to achieve what, exactly?
Thing is I had looked myself at taking an action around 2005/6 but the advice I received was that without a tame barrister that I'd be looking at costs of 30K plus to start with (though it might be deemed in the public interest and might have resulted in my being awarded costs) and it is possible that the wording of the amendment from 1979 might be viewed as allowing for the government to extend voting rights not necessarily requiring or compelling it to do so. I argued that the campaign at the time was all about extending those rights and while it might not be in the wording it was one of the stated intents of the government in having the referendum. Thing is that I wasn't convinced that the courts would either find in my favour or rule in any practicable way that would end up getting a result.

So I passed on the notion since I didn't have that sort of money to spare or any friends in the legal profession in a position to do so.

New Threads

Most Replies