Another Marathon Tragedy

Cruimh

Just reported that a man in his 50s has collapsed and died in the Belfast Marathon

It happened in the early stages of the event close to Victoria Park at about five miles into the race.

The event's organisers said two ambulances were quickly at the scene to take the man to the Royal Victoria Hospital.

It's understood it was the man's first marathon, although he was a regular runner.
Belfast: Man dies after collapsing at marathon - BBC News

This is just after the death of Matt Campbell in the London Marathon, in April

MasterChef marathon death: Matt Campbell's legacy 'humbling' - BBC News

Very sad for family and the organisers.

Ireniall

Just reported that a man in his 50s has collapsed and died in the Belfast Marathon

Belfast: Man dies after collapsing at marathon - BBC News

This is just after the death of Matt Campbell in the London Marathon, in April

MasterChef marathon death: Matt Campbell's legacy 'humbling' - BBC News

Very sad for family and the organisers.
It's easy to talk but I don't think that prolonged exercise suits older men even if they feel fine doing it. I feel that shorter more energetic exercises that do not last long are much better for people when they're pushing on a bit.

McSlaggart

I wonder how warm it was in Belfast today? It was warm but a pleasant light breeze here. Apparently very warm in London
I was not in Belfast so do not have a clue. At 5 miles he would have been running that distance early in his training. I would not think the heat would have been that big a factor.

McSlaggart

It's easy to talk but I don't think that prolonged exercise suits older men even if they feel fine doing it. I feel that shorter more energetic exercises that do not last long are much better for people when they're pushing on a bit.
I know from Cycling that very old men will do 75 miles one day and get up the next day and cycle home. The more exercise you do the better no matter what age you are. You do need to do it in a planned way especially if you are taking it up for the first time.

Ireniall

I know from Cycling that very old men will do 75 miles one day and get up the next day and cycle home. The more exercise you do the better no matter what age you are. You do need to do it in a planned way especially if you are taking it up for the first time.
Ya well certainly you would need to be careful until you reached full fitness and perhaps people with a light frame might be better able to manage this long distance stuff but I have serious doubts about it for people of normal build. I don't believe in strain for older people. We are not really designed to live past 40.

McSlaggart

Ya well certainly you would need to be careful until you reached full fitness and perhaps people with a light frame might be better able to manage this long distance stuff but I have serious doubts about it for people of normal build. I don't believe in strain for older people. We are not really designed to live past 40.
The more you exercise the better it is for you no matter your age. The older you are the more careful you need in your training but everyone should always be taking plenty of exercise. 65 - 95 is peak death time...

silverharp

sprinters look healthier than marathon runners in fairness

gerhard dengler

The more you exercise the better it is for you no matter your age. The older you are the more careful you need in your training but everyone should always be taking plenty of exercise. 65 - 95 is peak death time...
Age appropriate exercise is optimum.. By age appropriate I mean chronological age and sport age.

You cited "masters" competitors running and cycling huge distances in late middle age and old age. You'll find that most of these people have been doing these distances for decades. They've acquired physical endurance to do so.

Ardillaun

So many things to think about...

Obviously, fitness and health are not synonymous. A friend of mine in his fifties cycling massive kilos per week was getting mild symptoms of 'indigestion'. Passed the stress test with flying colours but had critical (up to 95%) stenosis of three vessels on angiography.

FOURGREENFIELDS

Brother ran this 5 years ago in his 40's. He's a slim, fit, wiry guy and trained for a year for it. However he said afterwards that it took a massive physical toll on him and he was hurting for months. He said he wouldn't do it again.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies