Another one bites the dust

gleeful

The SD's swing sharply left with a ringing endorsement of the 'class struggle' of the Luas strikers, and less than 24 hours later Renua loses its only serious politician.

There's never been a bigger gap in the market for a centre right, reformist, Scandinavian-Market-Economy type political party.
Theres a gap but theres no market

ireallyshouldknowbetter

I think there is a niche market for a right-wing economically liberal party, and that if Renua were led by someone who wasn't - to be frank - a bit of a weirdo, and it didn't come with bizarre Tea Party-esque policies attached, they would have taken a small number of seats.

It's entirely possible that if she hadn't received the exposure of the leader's debate, they might have won a couple of seats by default, but Creighton is an odd throwback with little electoral appeal.

Gin Soaked

Their tax policies were a problem too. In fact I'm not sure if there was any good reason to vote for them. If there's going to be a new right wing party it's going to have to be patriotic and take a tough stance on immigration.
Thing about their tax policies is that it generated a Pension tax relief problem whilst actually resulting in an increase in taxes for lower paid people.

This would actually be terrible for the economy and was deeply inequitable.

I'm pretty conservative (and am disgusted that the children's allowance is not being linked to school attendance ), but even I was repulsed by renua.

Gin Soaked

I think there is a niche market for a right-wing economically liberal party, and that if Renua were led by someone who wasn't - to be frank - a bit of a weirdo, and it didn't come with bizarre Tea Party-esque policies attached, they would have taken a small number of seats.

It's entirely possible that if she hadn't received the exposure of the leader's debate, they might have won a couple of seats by default, but Creighton is an odd throwback with little electoral appeal.
Pretty much nails it.

Linking religious conservative views to economic right wing (for ireland) is pointless as we will shy away from excesses here.

Sister Mercedes

It is quite an achievement for a party to have never won a seat at an election in our STV system. The only other parties to have done so that I can think of were Aontacht Eireann, the zany Natural Law Party and the various hard right parties like Nora Bennis's one and Gerard Casey's which sprung out of SPUC/PLAC. It seems that Renua is destined to be the most inconsequential of footnotes when the history of early 21st Century politics in Ireland is written. It will be remembered for the eloquence of Terence Flanagan's interview with Mary Wilson.
Creighton was considered a strong contender to hold her seat in Dublin South Bay. That was before Independent newspapers launched an orchestrated relentless campaign to take her down. Whether that was intended to benefit FG or Denis O'Brien's barrister Jim O'Callaghan is unclear. In the the end it helped both. Creighton was only 129 votes behind O'Callaghan when she was eliminated.

At the very least it was very convenient for Fine Gael that over 12 days before the election, INM ran at least eight stories about an anonymous complaint about Creighton to the Standards in Public Office (Sipo), about which Sipo said there was no evidence and which had previously been dismissed. Five appeared in election week, including election day, several on the front page, accompanied by pictures of her Fine Gael constituency rival Kate O’Connell, demanding to see Creighton’s “legal bills”. INM commissioned a constituency poll and in stunning self-fulfilling prophecy, pronounced Creighton “transfer toxic”.
Anne Harris: Shadow of Siteserv and Moriarty tribunal hung over Fine Gael

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
Lucinda Creighton steps down as leader of Renua Ireland - Independent.ie

First Burton and now Lucy. Election 2016 has been cruel to wimmin leaders.

Must be galling for her to see the likes of Creed, MMOC and Ross swanning around as Cabinet Ministers.

Renua's main problem is that it never built from the ground up. Their laziness in not setting up in time for the 2014 Locals was their downfall. Amazing to think now that she got equal billing in that weird Leaders Debate
full speech https://cedarlounge.wordpress.com/2016/05/14/renua-ireland-statement-from-lucinda-creighton/

ireallyshouldknowbetter

There's still a lot of PD voters out there with no home to go to. They'd have been better advised to aim for that demographic rather than the intersection of very socially conservative and economically liberal voters, because there aren't all that many of them.

Sister Mercedes

Anyone in public life can be portrayed as 'a bit of a weirdo' if the press and Montrose decide that's the label they want to attach. There are plenty 'weirder' and in a much more malicious way who enjoy glowing coverage in the Irish media.

From offshore oligarchs, to developers, to the legal profession, Lucinda stepped on a lot of toes. She had to be dispatched.

ireallyshouldknowbetter

Anyone in public life can be portrayed as 'a bit of a weirdo' if the press and Montrose decide that's the label they want to attach.
I didn't really follow the media coverage, so I can't comment on it. My labelling of her as a weirdo was based on my viewing of the leaders debates, where she came across as utterly humourless, personally unlikeable and very right-wing in terms of the views she expressed.

callas

There is a market for Renua if done properly. Having Hobbes upfront and picking a silly name was a bad start from which they never recovered.
Ré Nua was a reasonably good name for a political party with some vision.

It didn't really suit them.

The glib faux-cool pun, Renewa, perfectly signaled the utter vapidity of its policies and its principals.

ergo2

One of there problems was it took them to long in setting it up, from once she announced she was setting up a new party till it happened it must have been a year to 18 months. Compared to the Social Democrats they done thee work and announced the new party. Also the candidate they had in Mayo, no one had ever heard of him, there was more well known Indp. Councillors that they could have chosen.
Their Mayo candidate, Farrington, did reasonably well considering his late start. His mother is a Higgins, sister of late Tom Higgins and of Michael Higgins. Highly regarded family, involved in FG and GAA.

L C hereself is a principled politician. Few resign from a Junior ministry.

Took too long setting up the new party. I recall when the PDs started. There may have been some time in planning, but the series of ;arge meetings and public declarations by well known, mainly FF, politicians built up momentum and caught the public imagination.

Sorry that she lost her seat, and hope she fights for it next time.

Spanner Island

Ross has just announced that he won't be intervening in the Luas strike. His media chums will probably let him off the hook for that one.
Eh... it's an industrial dispute in a private company.

He's got no feckin' business getting involved.

The 'boom' and all the profligate waste associated with it and the throwing of good money after bad by Bertie and his goons seems to have created a bunch of pussies in this country who seem to think the 'state' should get involved in everything.

The only involvement the 'state' should have in this is appointing the operator...

As for Transdev... either they should sack all the drivers and start again or the Government should terminate their contract due to Transdev's ongoing failure to provide a reliable service and seek another operator.

Its great we now have so many can-do independents in government.
All Ross is doing is as his predecessor Paschal Donohoe did... which was to stay out of it...

This is exactly the right approach to take imo.

Last edited:

Boy M5

Creighton was considered a strong contender to hold her seat in Dublin South Bay. That was before Independent newspapers launched an orchestrated relentless campaign to take her down. Whether that was intended to benefit FG or Denis O'Brien's barrister Jim O'Callaghan is unclear. In the the end it helped both. Creighton was only 129 votes behind O'Callaghan when she was eliminated.

Anne Harris: Shadow of Siteserv and Moriarty tribunal hung over Fine Gael

I am no fan of Lucy. I have no time for laissez faire economic policies (the doctrine trumps national interest, strategic considerations & impact on society - Adam Smith was a moral philosopher, not a Randist) & she always struck me as over ambitious.
Hence my Tracey from "Election" screenshots & christening Renua the Lucytania.

That said she resigned from FG on a point of principal & was an independent voice. Her presence in the Dáil provided diversity.
Diversity is key in a democracy as it is in the media.

The Sindo, and particularly its dominant shareholder O Brien seemingly are joined at the hip to FG & to elements in FF.

O'Callaghan's sister is a high profile RTE hack involved in setting the political agenda in part (her programmevon a Sunday morning is very good at promoting soc.lib agenda). Also unlike Crowley, O'Mongain, McNulty, McCoille, O'Headra she doesn't seem to have as in depth ideas on the issues she is questioning on.

By losing Lucy we have lost out - our political economy is weaker, institutional Ireland is stronger.

That is not in our interests as a people or a democracy.

Boy M5

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies