• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Another year of doom and gloom ahead?

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
Unemployment to rise in 2014 and 2015 - NERI - RTÉ News

We're barely a week into the new year and already the government's over optimistic forecasts are being rubbished by people who know better. Are we ever likely to see and end to the current recession? Certainly things were worse (in real terms) in the 1930s, 50s and 80s but there's no question that the national mood is far more depressed than in those times, when at least jobs were much more easily available in other countries.

Analyzer

I do not remember the main streets of places like Dun Laoghaire or Drogheda going completely out of business and becomming ghost town centres in the 1980s.

This is a different category of disaster. We are dealing with the hangover of a prolonged period of liberal lending by the financial system. Not only were the low interest rates encouraging people to misallocate money on a persistent scale, but they were encouraging people to borrow to misallocate on a massive scale.

Then we had the 'succesful' efforts that the Irish media put into hyping the population inot spending and borrowing massive amounts of debts - an intellectual conditioning. This has left people feeling very stupid.

Last edited:

Howya

Union think-tank, Central Bank, Dept of Finance, ESRI, IMF, OECD....which of them has the better track record in forecasting (and no, I don't know the answer).

Ribeye

Currency wars, trade wars, real wars!

Welcome to 2013 wool heads!

Doom and gloom, ha:)

How about boom?

And in case anyone thinks I'm referring to an economic boom,

I'm not,

I'm referring to the thermo-nuclear type!

firefly123

Currency wars, trade wars, real wars!

Welcome to 2013 wool heads!

Doom and gloom, ha:)

How about boom?

And in case anyone thinks I'm referring to an economic boom,

I'm not,

I'm referring to the thermo-nuclear type!
I swear you might actually look forward to it a bit. I'd say as the flesh is seared off your bones by the nuclear blast the last electrical impulse in your brain would be to the 'I feckin told yis' centre! ;)

gaiusc

Unemployment to rise in 2014 and 2015 - NERI - RTÉ News

We're barely a week into the new year and already the government's over optimistic forecasts are being rubbished by people who know better. Are we ever likely to see and end to the current recession? Certainly things were worse (in real terms) in the 1930s, 50s and 80s but there's no question that the national mood is far more depressed than in those times, when at least jobs were much more easily available in other countries.
Look on the bright side...house prices are going up in Dublin!

Analyzer

Look on the bright side...house prices are going up in Dublin!
Didn't some spoofer in the Irish media say that we needed a house price mini-mania to make us all feel good ?

Presumably somebody based in Dublin.

As if there is not enough debt in the Irish system already.

White Horse

I lived through the 80's.

It took 10 years to emerge from the public sector spending spree initiated by Fianna Fail in 1977.

FF's more recent public sector spending spree in the early 2000s was much larger and will take more than 10 years to correct.

tigerben

Most main streets in Irish towns, are made up of chemists, bookies , discount stores and phone shops now. I know shops were busy at Christmas , but it was a light in the gloom of bad news and a long recession that people just wanted a bit of joy and make Christmas a " proper Christmas". Here even before Christmas , talk was that the big new discount store had reduced hours of staff, I mean if a 1.49€ store isn't doing as well as projected that's bad.

ger12

It took 10 years to emerge from the public sector spending spree initiated by Fianna Fail in 1977.

FF's more recent public sector spending spree in the early 2000s was much larger and will take more than 10 years to correct.
Thank God for FG huh. Where would we be without them. Modern day superheros. If only we'd listened to them in opposition. :roll:

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie

However bad FF's spending spree was in the late 1970s, things were made far worse by the catastrophic economic policies of the FitzGerald regime, (something even acknowledged by Varadkar) but the difference then was that the UK and US were booming so people had somewhere to go to get work and improve themselves. That is more difficult today and Kenny and co. seem to have learnt nothing from the mistakes of FitzGerald, that you cannot tax your way out of a recession.

Ribeye

I swear you might actually look forward to it a bit. I'd say as the flesh is seared off your bones by the nuclear blast the last electrical impulse in your brain would be to the 'I feckin told yis' centre! ;)
Yes, I have thousands of posts givin out yards about the millions that's are murdered in all these illegal and amoral wars,

But I really want a nuclear weapon to go off in a city, of course I do!

What do you lot think Assad or Amidinajad are going to do when America puts the pressure on,

They're gonba hit back, and they can do it,

Iran is no fckn Iraq, they will not fold to Obamas evil bullsh1te,,

And when they hit, it'll hurt,

How many faux tears is Obama gonna shed if a nuke goes off in a US city?

And they will be faux tears, coz he'll be fckn delighted if that happens!

Analyzer

You should all feel guilty over not electing Baldy Noonan as Taoiseach in 2002.

Compensation programs for Eircom shareholders, compensation programs for taxi drivers, compensation for everybody in the audience.....

and that clown is now Minister for Finance.

Ireland needs several completely new political parties.

libertarian-right

But the Irish Media have improved so much since the boom, they have clearly learnt their lessons?!

Sure the Irish Independent is plopping out articles about how we should building more houses, that we missed the property boat etc etc.

ShoutingIsLeadership

I no longer listen to Morning Ireland or Newstalk in the mornings; instead I have switched to Nobby and Jim-Jim on FM104….some stupid humour, but the two of them actually sound happy to be alive in the morning.

I don’t watch Prime Time, and Vincent Browne rarely gets an airing. I stumbled upon it last night and stupidly logged on to P.ie – I ended up getting really annoyed before going to bed.

Much less P.ie for me.

Making a conscious effort to put more energy in my life with Lady SIL. It’s not that I wasn’t a good partner beforehand, it’s just I have stepped it up. Already seeing results, and it’s great.

Couple of childers who constantly put a smile on my face, and I make sure to spend as much time with them as I can.

In other words, I’m taking control. No more doom. I might have another 40 years on this plant, if I’m lucky, and I am not going to spend ten of them moaning and whining and listening to constant doom.

Does that address the OP?

libertarian-right

I no longer listen to Morning Ireland or Newstalk in the mornings; instead I have switched to Nobby and Jim-Jim on FM104….some stupid humour, but the two of them actually sound happy to be alive in the morning.

I don’t watch Prime Time, and Vincent Browne rarely gets an airing. I stumbled upon it last night and stupidly logged on to P.ie – I ended up getting really annoyed before going to bed.

Much less P.ie for me.

Making a conscious effort to put more energy in my life with Lady SIL. It’s not that I wasn’t a good partner beforehand, it’s just I have stepped it up. Already seeing results, and it’s great.

Couple of childers who constantly put a smile on my face, and I make sure to spend as much time with them as I can.

In other words, I’m taking control. No more doom. I might have another 40 years on this plant, if I’m lucky, and I am not going to spend ten of them moaning and whining and listening to constant doom.

But the country is fecked yeah? :D

Spanner Island

However bad FF's spending spree was in the late 1970s, things were made far worse by the catastrophic economic policies of the FitzGerald regime, (something even acknowledged by Varadkar) but the difference then was that the UK and US were booming so people had somewhere to go to get work and improve themselves. That is more difficult today and Kenny and co. seem to have learnt nothing from the mistakes of FitzGerald, that you cannot tax your way out of a recession.
They've no other choice, not when they ring fence the CPA and state sector pay (including their own), refuse to implement compulsory redundancies where and when needed, refuse to cull quangos, refuse to reverse upward only rent reviews, refuse to cut bankers pay etc. etc. and continue borrowing massively to afford it all...

Where else are they going to make up the shortfall?

Tax and charge the rest of us into paupery...

Plus I seriously suspect that those who borrowed to the hilt and who are now in negative equity are going to be effectively abandoned and will be a lost generation...

There is another generation behind them in well paid jobs who don't have property... and it's those who the 'state' will concentrate on nurturing and then targeting to pay for everything from now on...

Those who bought in the 'boom' and who are now f***ed financially will be f***ed for life... unless of course they get off their arses and refuse to accept their fate.

firefly123

Yes, I have thousands of posts givin out yards about the millions that's are murdered in all these illegal and amoral wars,

But I really want a nuclear weapon to go off in a city, of course I do!

What do you lot think Assad or Amidinajad are going to do when America puts the pressure on,

They're gonba hit back, and they can do it,

Iran is no fckn Iraq, they will not fold to Obamas evil bullsh1te,,

And when they hit, it'll hurt,

How many faux tears is Obama gonna shed if a nuke goes off in a US city?

And they will be faux tears, coz he'll be fckn delighted if that happens!
That will never happen unless Iran wants to become the first country that consists of craters and glass. Now of course there are the crazies (not you of course) who might think a false flag operation will happen but their is zero chance Iran will be nuking a US city. The worst that will happen is a US vessel will be hit in the gulf and it escalates to nasty war level but I doubt if Iran has the capacity to hit the US directly. Anyway slightly off topic.

Back on topic.. Everything is shît x 100 or so posts....

firefly123

Much less P.ie for me.

Tip of the cap to you sir. I have been doubg the same myself! Babys smile instantly ends a recession! That will be the sanest post on this entire self flagilating thread.