Ant & Dec takeaway Northern Ireland from Great Britain on a Saturday night.

automaticforthepeople

Ant and Dec may not be everyone's cup of tea, but factually they are correct. Northern Ireland is not part of Great Britain. Great Britain comprises of England, Scotland and the Principality of Wales. Together with Northern Ireland it merely comprises the United Kingdom.

Strange so that by pointing out the reality the pair who are of Irish heritage have got some stick. Clearly the 2 lads were sitting up and paying attention in Geography classes when they were kids in Newcastle.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/ant-and-dec-confuse-fans-over-northern-ireland-statement-36692824.html

milipod

Ant and Dec may not be everyone's cup of tea, but factually they are correct. Northern Ireland is not part of Great Britain. Great Britain comprises of England, Scotland and the Principality of Wales. Together with Northern Ireland it merely comprises the United Kingdom.

Strange so that by pointing out the reality the pair who are of Irish heritage have got some stick. Clearly the 2 lads were sitting up and paying attention in Geography classes when they were kids in Newcastle.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/ant-and-dec-confuse-fans-over-northern-ireland-statement-36692824.html
Who?

ger12

Lol. That distinction was made a couple of times on The Crown (on a Netflix binge).

automaticforthepeople

Lol. That distinction was made a couple of times on The Crown (on a Netflix binge).
Seems to have been a bit over the heads of some of the TV audience. Next week Ant & Dec will explain the constitutional position of Isle of Man, Jersey, Guernsey, Alderney and Gibraltar over a pizza.

hollandia

Things have come to a pretty pass when Ant and Dec have to explain the distinction been Great Britain and the United Kingdom (of GB and NI - to give its full title).

Mind you, people should be more alarmed at the amount of people who insist that NI is part of GB...

Not The End Of The World

I bet if you asked many of us to describe GB and UK we'd get it wrong. An easy mistake. Half of this country can't even confirm the names of the six counties - its cropt up on a fair few quizzes. Friend of mine runs pub quizzes. Swears blind he only gets about 50% correct answers.

hollandia

I bet if you asked many of us to describe GB and UK we'd get it wrong. An easy mistake. Half of this country can't even confirm the names of the six counties - its cropt up on a fair few quizzes. Friend of mine runs pub quizzes. Swears blind he only gets about 50% correct answers.
I assume that's because anyone writing "Londonderry" gets marked wrong.

GDPR

Ant just left rehab and revealed he almost died.

Wtf is he doing in Belfast????

Vega1447

Things have come to a pretty pass when Ant and Dec have to explain the distinction been Great Britain and the United Kingdom (of GB and NI - to give its full title).

Mind you, people should be more alarmed at the amount of people who insist that NI is part of GB...
They probably think "Éire" is too.

Skin the Goat

Sure half of us don't know the name of our capital city!
(A friend of mine swears this is true - apparently over half of us can't spell cropped either)

Disillusioned democrat

It’s kinda funny, but I had to explain that to many Norn Ironers when I was working up there....they say “Britishness” is at their core, but realistically they’re not British at all...a great conversation in the Welders on a Fri lunchtime.

GDPR

It’s kinda funny, but I had to explain that to many Norn Ironers when I was working up there....they say “Britishness” is at their core, but realistically they’re not British at all...a great conversation in the Welders on a Fri lunchtime.
Norn Ironers have it tough.

The Irish ones are called British by the Irish and the British ones are called Irish by the British.

I prefer Pie where everyone is just called a gobshyte and mentally ill and incapable of sexual relations. Much more to the point

Spanner Island

The ignorance of many people in the UK about their own country/countries (never mind the rest of the world) is depressing and a shameful reflection on the British education system.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies