Anthony bourdain missed

Gurdiev77

After the untimely demise of Anthony I've been watching some of his food programmes. Excellent food and travel, politics and anthropology.
Love the way he treated food as a cultural issue, and delved into how it represented cultivation and civilization.

' Kitchen Confidential 'was a great read , and got him out of the Kitchen and on to the path of food evangelism as entertainment. Although he took the subject way beyond .

Its reawakened my tastebuds.

Way too young to die, but c'est la vie.

Ardillaun

Last edited:

Gurdiev77

Ardillaun

I wasn’t even going to watch the Russian episode because, you know, Russian food..but cuisine was always just an entree for Bourdain, a ‘way in’ like hypnosis or eye exams (who knew?) to travel deeper:

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/movies/2015/07/the_look_of_silence_by_joshua_oppenheimer_reviewed.html

It’s a matter of meeting people on their own terms and respecting them. Bourdain might be criticized for constant praise of alien dishes but such enthusiasm, usually genuine I think, was the passport to gain access to other lives and cultures. He was a globalist in the best possible way. Foolishly, I envied his life, knowing nothing of it.

Last edited:

Gurdiev77

I wasn’t even going to watch the Russian episode because, you know, Russian food..but cuisine was always just an entree for Bourdain, a ‘way in’ like hypnosis or eye exams (who knew?) to travel deeper:

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/movies/2015/07/the_look_of_silence_by_joshua_oppenheimer_reviewed.html

It’s a matter of meeting people on their own terms and respecting them. Bourdain might be criticized for constant praise of alien dishes but such enthusiasm, usually genuine I think, was the passport to gain access to other lives and cultures. He was a globalist in the best possible way. Foolishly, I envied his life, knowing nothing of it.
He was a true globalist. Some of the countries he visited Iran, Palestine, Lebanon, seemed like dangerous alien empires to greater America, who have a tendency to view the world through a military prism,
Great guy , greatly missed .

Gurdiev77

That movie seems well worth a viewing . Extraordinary what goes on in the world , outside our own personal bubblex .

flavirostris

too young to die? Didn't he commit suicide

Fritzbox

I lived in Russia for many years - have you ever been to Russia? Russian food is delicious, on the whole.

redhead

I have to admit, I had not heard of him until his death, not sure how as he seems to have been enormously popular, but I looked up some of his stuff online and it does seem worth watching.

Buchaill Dana

I have to admit, I had not heard of him until his death, not sure how as he seems to have been enormously popular, but I looked up some of his stuff online and it does seem worth watching.
There is two Bourdains. The Kitchen Confidential early phase, blowing the lid on the culture of top chefs and the business. Later he explored good food, wherever it was served, and vitally the culture from which the food came. Most celebrity chefs missed the context bit. Street food was as valid as pioneering Michelin kitchens. The anti food snob.

Gurdiev77

Very good TV, travel and food, but with the emphasis on sharing food with ordinary people as an entry point into their lives and politic/economic situation.

Gurdiev77

He's written a few books , I've only read Kitchen Confidential, which was a great read.

He's a good writer, the fielsd 'notes ' on the places he visits are worth a read.

Ardillaun

That movie seems well worth a viewing . Extraordinary what goes on in the world , outside our own personal bubblex .
It’s appalling viewing, brilliantly done. The jocular attitude of the elderly murderers shows yet again what we are up against in Homo sapiens.

Last edited:

Ardillaun

I lived in Russia for many years - have you ever been to Russia? Russian food is delicious, on the whole.
No. I was making fun of myself there and my general ignorance of places out foreign. It would be the last thing Anthony Bourdain would say of any country.

Last edited:

Gurdiev77

I visited Russia in the eighties.
The food was good, but very short on fresh vegetables or fruit.
I remember the veg on the plate being more of a garnish than an ingredient.

Ardillaun

I presume Russia offers a similar range of boreal wild game to Canada e.g. moose.

Fritzbox

I visited Russia in the eighties.
The food was good, but very short on fresh vegetables or fruit.
I remember the veg on the plate being more of a garnish than an ingredient.
The veg you would have eaten would have come as a separate course, a salad. The Russians have lots of different salads, many of them have tons of mayonnaise on then - the Russians love mayonnaise.

Gurdiev77

The veg you would have eaten would have come as a separate course, a salad. The Russians have lots of different salads, many of them have tons of mayonnaise on then - the Russians love mayonnaise.

don't we all !.
I liked the buttermilk at breakfast.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies