• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Anti-Feminist bile in the media

Concerned Irishman

Swedish Feminists Are So Bored They

The Swedish Feminist raises a valid point here - seemingly small norms of gendered behaviour reinforce male priviledge, which taken to its conclusion does result in rape, the pay gap, anti-choice government, and even anti-male discrimination in the family courts (just thought I'd mention that before someone posts something ignorant about gender equality only benefiting wimyn).

The refusal of this author to contend with the issue seriously, or listen to what the activist was trying to tell her ill-behooves the article. Sadly, it is not alone in media circles when it comes to bias against the struggle for Gender Equality. Wonder if Vice.com is owned by a man, like pretty much all the rest of the media outlets...

R

Ramps

Gender equality....no 2 men are equal, so htf could men and women ever be equal?

BlackLion

Feminist were once about female equality in a time where women were little more than slaves to men. Women should be eqaul to men, full stop. but nowadays is seems to be a gang of extremists who hate anything that has a penis.

Gender Pay Gap Persists: New Female Grads Earn $7,600 Less Than Men, Report Finds - Careers Articles

Irish women earn 17% less than Irish men - RTÉ News

the links above prove women nowadays aren't equal to men and that needs to change. it should be fair and might also kill off the feminist movement for good. feminists belong with Misogynists on the dust heap of history.

R

Ramps

Feminist were once about female equality in a time where women were little more than slaves to men. Women should be eqaul to men, full stop. but nowadays is seems to be a gang of extremists who hate anything that has a penis.

Gender Pay Gap Persists: New Female Grads Earn $7,600 Less Than Men, Report Finds - Careers Articles

Irish women earn 17% less than Irish men - RTÉ News

the links above prove women nowadays aren't equal to men and that needs to change. it should be fair and might also kill off the feminist movement for good. feminists belong with Misogynists on the dust heap of history.
This old chestnut...

Why anyone who believes men and women are 'equal' would propose to force sexist employers to pay the same wage to men and women is beyond me, for the best way to ensure that such employers go out of business is to allow them to discriminate.

Mercurial

Derision and the general failure to attempt to engage with or take seriously feminist critiques of seemingly innocuous norms has long been a feature of what passes for public discourse on gender and gender equality.

Ironically this often serves as evidence of the kind of privilege many anti-feminists seek to deny.

R

Ramps

You can do better than that.
Why?! It's the truth.

Men and women are fundamentally different (thank god). Trying to pretend they are not is madness. Now it might be madness caused by good intentions, but it's madness nonetheless. This 'equality' sickness is not just confined to sex; you can see it, for example, in the insurance industry. The idea that a 60 year old man is as risky a bet as a 20 year old man is just delusional.

Edit: car insurance

R

Ramps

Derision and the general failure to attempt to engage with or take seriously feminist critiques of seemingly innocuous norms has long been a feature of what passes for public discourse on gender and gender equality.

Ironically this often serves as evidence of the kind of privilege many anti-feminists seek to deny.
Do you deny that men and women are fundamentally different?

Mercurial

Why?! It's the truth.

Men and women are fundamentally different (thank god). Trying to pretend they are not is madness. Now it might be madness caused by good intentions, but it's madness nonetheless. This 'equality' sickness is not just confined to sex; you can see it, for example, in the insurance industry. The idea that a 60 year old man is as risky a bet as a 20 year old man is just delusional.

Edit: car insurance
I am surprised that you are presenting such an obvious straw man as though it represents what feminists actually believe.

R

Ramps

I am surprised that you are presenting such an obvious straw man as though it represents what feminists actually believe.
Straw man? Why do you think that car insurance companies have had to change their policies (in respect of the sex/age of the driver)? Because they wanted to?!

Mercurial

Straw man? Why do you think that car insurance companies have had to change their policies (in respect of the sex/age of the driver)? Because they wanted to?!
They had to change their policies because the ECJ ruled that Article 5(2) of Council Directive 2004/113/EC which allowed insurance companies to discriminate based on gender was in contravention of the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union, and therefore invalid.

Mercurial

Their interests, ambitions, drives, aptitudes, attitudes to risk, capabilities etc etc....
What does it mean to say that women have fundamentally different ambitions to men, for example?

R

Ramps

They had to change their policies because the ECJ ruled that Article 5(2) of Council Directive 2004/113/EC which allowed insurance companies to discriminate based on gender was in contravention of the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union, and therefore invalid.
I know; but I'm asking you what was the motivation for taking such a case.

Who would object to those who cause most accidents paying more?! It's the pretence that by legislating the difference magically vanishes.

R

Ramps

What does it mean to say that women have fundamentally different ambitions to men, for example?

For e.g., and particularly important in relation to jobs and pay, women are more interested in having kids and caring for them.

Men are more interested in careers that are 'riskier' and which, therefore, bring greater financial rewards.

Mercurial

I know; but I'm asking you what was the motivation for taking such a case.
The case was taken by Test-Achats, a Belgian consumer watchdog group. Presumably they were motivated by the fact that some consumers were being unfairly discriminated against due to their biological gender, something which is prohibited by the Charter of Fundamental Rights.

Who would object to those who cause most accidents paying more?! It's the pretence that by legislating the difference magically vanishes.
You've misunderstood the reasoning behind the ruling.

There is no evidence to suggest that having a Y chromosome makes someone a worse driver than if they had two X chromosomes, or that it makes someone live a shorter life (the original case had to do with gender discrimination in life insurance providers).

The court found that what the insurers were doing was using gender as a statistical shortcut which masked the factors which actually do determine whether someone is likely to live longer (or cause a car accident).

Mercurial

For e.g., and particularly important in relation to jobs and pay, women are more interested in having kids and caring for them.

Men are more interested in careers that are 'riskier' and which, therefore, bring greater financial rewards.
Obviously you cannot mean that all women are more interested in having children, or that all men are more interested in making money. So you must mean that a majority of women tend to be more interested in having children, and that a majority of men tend to be more interested in making money.

I don't see in what sense you can take a claim about a majority of men, for example, and describe it as a "fundamental difference" between men and women. If it does not apply to all men or to all women, how can it be fundamental in the first place?

pippakin

Gender equality the buzz phrase of the times. Girls have even been known to join gangs and that is the most depraved and disgusting equality of all. Because it is a complete failure of equality it is in fact the aping of masculinity and the betrayal of the feminine. I would find such a female a disgusting travesty.

to that extent I understand the womanly idea of equality, equal pay for equal work, equal place in society but make sure society recognises the difference.

Gurdiev

Gender equality the buzz phrase of the times. Girls have even been known to join gangs and that is the most depraved and disgusting equality of all. Because it is a complete failure of equality it is in fact the aping of masculinity and the betrayal of the feminine. I would find such a female a disgusting travesty.

to that extent I understand the womanly idea of equality, equal pay for equal work, equal place in society but make sure society recognises the difference.
Why do you describe such behaviour as 'the betrayal of the feminine ' ?
Do you believe that women are naturally incapable of hierarchical behaviour ?