• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Anti-GFA Republicans Eirigi show more common sense than Sinn Fein.

theloner

Could be argued most Éirígí members were pro-GFA.

longmarch

As a vote leave supporter I welcome this. I'd like to understand their logic and thought process in more detail.

ardsman

As a few of us have stated many times. This is the only possible true republican position. They may not be my fav crowd but they are indeed being true to their republican ideals. I applaud them...

physicist

it cud be argued that the moon is the sun but it don't make it so...

I'm with the loner on this, many members such as Breandán Mac Cionnaith and several Sinn Féin defectees within their ranks oppose decisions made by Sinn Féin but not specifically the institutions or the original terms of the Good Friday Agreement.

physicist

As a few of us have stated many times. This is the only possible true republican position. They may not be my fav crowd but they are indeed being true to their republican ideals. I applaud them...
The Republic of Ireland's arrangement with the European Union in terms of treaties is subjected to the ultimate republican test, that being the referendum. This is as a result of Crotty v. An Taoiseach 1987 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crotty_v._An_Taoiseach

The Irish had a veto on everything from accession to the European Economic Community to the Fiscal Compact and voted for these.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amendments_to_the_Constitution_of_Ireland

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/referendum-required-in-transatlantic-trade-deal-399702.html

The bailouts, the bank guarantees, even the signing up to water charges ... all the fault of sovereign democratic elected governments of Ireland and done so with the mandate that they were given.

We cannot call ourselves an independent nation if we cannot take responsibility for our own actions.

Enigma Variations

Rather a non-story really. Eirigi have about as much influence over the likely voting stance of nationalists as Arlene Foster. :)
Meanwhile the good news is that about two thirds of the voting electorate here are using their common sense, listening to the nine out of ten economists who say Brexit would be a disaster, and are set to vote "remain".

ardsman

Wtf has happened to Mutley this weather? Has he been put into a padded cell at long last?

between the bridges

Wtf has happened to Mutley this weather? Has he been put into a padded cell at long last?
He has a sock posting on the MB he'll be back when he gets 50 posts up...

sean treacy

Eirigi could'nt even elect a single councillor in all of Ireland's 32 counties.Their influence is nil.

death or glory

Marcella

Rather a non-story really. Eirigi have about as much influence over the likely voting stance of nationalists as Arlene Foster. :)
Meanwhile the good news is that about two thirds of the voting electorate here are using their common sense, listening to the nine out of ten economists who say Brexit would be a disaster, and are set to vote "remain".
Indeed and those that vote for leaving will be hoping that votes elsewhere win them their cause in ridding themselves of the undemocratic meddling of outsiders.

CastleRay

I can see your point regarding some sort of consistency regarding a view on the EU, but surely an Irish republican group actively canvassing and participating in a UK-wide and UK only poll is a bit inconsistent?

Strawberry

I can see your point regarding some sort of consistency regarding a view on the EU, but surely an Irish republican group actively canvassing and participating in a UK-wide and UK only poll is a bit inconsistent?
I don't see why, part of Ireland is inside the UK so why wouldn't Irish political groups, republican or not, participate?

CastleRay

I don't see why, part of Ireland is inside the UK so why wouldn't Irish political groups, republican or not, participate?
I'm all for it and pleased if they're finally catching up with the rest of the country.

Truth.ie

SF are making a lot of money in the Brussels gravy train.
Brexit is a stepping stone to Irexit and final sovereignty.
Thank God to hear fellow Republicans backing Brexit. I was getting quite disillusioned recently.

Truth.ie

Eirigi could'nt even elect a single councillor in all of Ireland's 32 counties.Their influence is nil.
I know quite a few SFers backing Brexit.
In fact I'm old enough to remember when SF opposed the EU as a principle.

theloner

éirígí is the natural continuation of SF if the latter hadn't veered off its own path. éirígí does and says what SF members want to do and say but somehow have been convinced rightly or wrongly SF is the 'only show in town' and is ultimately 'right'.

Quite a lot of the éirígí leadership and membership were SF supporters post GFA. The views they held pre-GFA are the same views they hold today.

McGuinness attended a banquet with Elizabeth Windsor, it's amazing how many SF members leap in ferocious defence of this when only in 2011 Adams said she wasn't even welcome on Irish soil due to 'unresolved constitutional issues'..

You could drive a horse and cart through the loopholes in SF policy. They changed policy and principles for electoral success, but, errr, what exactly has that achieved?

Guess its up to the individual, progressive politics or sellout?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies