• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Anti-Social Behaviour From 'Social' Tenants Housed in Private Estates

General Urko

From todays City Tribune in Galway -

Afraid to play: kids kept indoors due to antisocial behaviour - Connacht Tribune - Galway City Tribune

What concerns me is why were these social tenants garda vetted prior to be settled in a private state, when no such process takes place when equivalents are settled in council housing?

Is there another agenda here with the great and the good over reacting to the great unwashed in their midst?

Why have we as a society have tolerated a situation where a basic house is €300K plus?

As a council tenant who has seen vastly worse than this from other council tenants, why shouldn't the great and the good take their fair share of rubbish fooktards as well?

Roll_On

We have 4 social tenants in our block, mostly no problems, the kids play with the other kids in the courtyard and sometimes are a bit loud tittering and laughing in the hallways, but that's kids I suppose.

One of said tenants was smoking in the lift, which left an terrible stench, so the resi committee knocked on the door and explained that it was unpleasant for other residents. No problems, all sorted.

That being said, the social tenants here are just ordinary folk, I've no doubt that there would be more problems if the Council attempted to house travellers here, who have very different standards of acceptable behaviour.

Housing travellers is a conundrum for Irish society. Can they be domesticated and integrated or should there be a policy of separate development.

Seanie Lemass

People who get free stuff for life have no respect for anything. That's just my take on it.

Crazy horse 6

Cotton wool kids society. A lot of middle and upper class families don't let their kids play outside and mix anyway. It's the "pedo around every corner" mentality that is responsible for this. 90% of people who live in social housing are just normal decent folk who are trying their best to get by. A good healthy mix of private and social housing is the way to go for a forward looking society. For tenants in social housing who continue to be utter c u nts we should look at the Dutch model of creating "scumtowns" for them.

Seanie Lemass

It must be infuriating, after saving for a deposit for a mortgage and having the repayments for decades, to see your neighbours enjoying free lodgement.

Dublin City Council have taken this whole thing further by seizing an entire housing estate near Finglas and designating it as "social housing".

That will be roaring success I would say ...

Crazy horse 6

Anyway i'm bailing out of this one before the usual crowd gather to pore scorn upon the "great unwashed" "single mums" "dole heads" etc..

Hitchcock

People who get free stuff for life have no respect for anything. That's just my take on it.
Another one :roll:

Which 'people' would they be now? Is it ALL the 'people' who live in social housing? Do ALL the 'people' living in social houses get 'stuff' for free? They don't pay for anything?

Seanie Lemass

Which 'people' would they be now? Is it ALL the 'people' who live in social housing? Do ALL the 'people' living in social houses get 'stuff' for free? They don't pay for anything?

There are lots of people who are a net cost on society.

Fra_south_Derry

Again with this stupid notion that people in social housing get "free stuff". They don't and never have.
There is a generation divide in many council estates. The older folk work or they have now retired. These in the whole are good decent people. Then you have the younger generation many of whom are feckless and sit around all day drinking and smoking dope. My wife is from a good council estate or at least it was. In five adjoining houses an extended family reside here and no one of them work.

Rural

My Sister is in social housing that was built in a private estate, she's in a wheelchair and absolutely no trouble to the neighbours, who she gets on with very well. She pays rent and if her Disability Allowance increases, her rent increases, she has a Medical Card and free busses, but other than that she doesn't get anything for nothing.

Seanie Lemass

My Sister is in social housing that was built in a private estate, she's in a wheelchair and absolutely no trouble to the neighbours, who she gets on with very well. She pays rent and if her Disability Allowance increases, her rent increases, she has a Medical Card and free busses, but other than that she doesn't get anything for nothing.

Your sister is entitled to the support of society.

Able bodied people who don't work, have never worked, and have no intention of working, and who raise their children to be the same, are a drain on society. They are also the main source of criminality.

Roll_On

No such thing as free lodgement. Never has never was.
Travellers do not pay rent at all. Social tenants pay 15% of their net income on rent. If their net income is entirely from handouts then yes, in net terms they are contributing nothing to their lodgings.

edifice.

Afraid to play: kids kept indoors due to antisocial behaviour - Connacht Tribune - Galway City Tribune

What concerns me is why were these social tenants garda vetted prior to be settled in a private state, when no such process takes place when equivalents are settled in council housing?

Is there another agenda here with the great and the good over reacting to the great unwashed in their midst?

Why have we as a society have tolerated a situation where a basic house is €300K plus?

As a council tenant who has seen vastly worse than this from other council tenants, why shouldn't the great and the good take their fair share of rubbish fooktards as well?
Vetting should be across the board. A real problem is when families demand that they need to live near their relatives creating fiefdoms and acting accordingly. Rights and responsibilities should never be separated.

eoghanacht

Garda vetting does take place in social housing.

The great unwashed :roll:.

No agenda from the FG troll at play here anyway.

As you were, there hasn't been kick the poor thread in ages.

BTW, you realize not all of the "great unwashed" are not all anti social.

Hitchcock

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies