Antibiotic use in Animals.............How the Dutch changed it.

Mad as Fish

ger12

Very impressive grass roots initiative.

ger12

I had some US friend stay for couple of months last year. They both use lots of prescription drugs for various ailments.

They put it down to the way USDA has pretty much allowed companys do what they want with the US Food Industry and now the Baby Boomers are reaping the benefits with health problems.

Clean and free from drugs will be the USP going forward in food, we either embrace it or get left behind.

The Dutch egg scandal is a taste of what can happen.

Cruimh

All boils down to keeping food costs down as low as possible for the consumer - especially in the poultry and pig industry. I'm out of touch now, but back in the day there were a lot of van men driving round NI selling antibiotics, some good quality and some questionable. Even (steroid) growth promoters like Ralgro and Finaplix after they were banned. In theory there are spot checks on carcases - but I remember hearing that the findings regarding antiobiotic levels in pig meat had been hushed up.

Cruimh

I had some US friend stay for couple of months last year. They both use lots of prescription drugs for various ailments.

They put it down to the way USDA has pretty much allowed companys do what they want with the US Food Industry and now the Baby Boomers are reaping the benefits with health problems.

Clean and free from drugs will be the USP going forward in food, we either embrace it or get left behind.

The Dutch egg scandal is a taste of what can happen.
US beef was banned in the UK because they continue to use hormonal growth promoters.

Cruimh

Post Brexit if UK wants a US trade deal they will accept Chlorine washed chicken and USDA meat.
Doesn't bother me. Especially the Chlorine washed chicken. Hell, it is no different than washing baby bottles in Milton.

Swings and roundabouts - Dutch eggs and Euro Horse meat? Let's not forget the Dutch egg insecticide scandal....

firefly123

Doesn't bother me. Especially the Chlorine washed chicken. Hell, it is no different than washing baby bottles in Milton.

Swings and roundabouts - Dutch eggs and Euro Horse meat? Let's not forget the Dutch egg insecticide scandal....
You know why they wash them in chlorine? The washing isn't the problem it's the reasons why

Sister Mercedes

I'm this close to becoming a vegan. You'll know when it happens because in typical vegan reticence, I'll change my moniker to Sister Vegan.

ROFL

UK Farming standards v Euro !!!!

Egg production
Swine flu
BSE
Foot and Mouth
Horsemeat
All UK Food scandals and there are more

gleeful

The reason for chlorine washing chicken it it allows lower staff hygine standards. No need to wash your hands - just wash the chicken.

Congalltee

I'm this close to becoming a vegan. You'll know when it happens because in typical vegan reticence, I'll change my moniker to Sister Vegan.
I couldn't go vegan but I might become a 6 day a week vegetarian (and skip pig and chicken as much as possible).

Cruimh

The reason for chlorine washing chicken it it allows lower staff hygine standards. No need to wash your hands - just wash the chicken.
Ah now, that is a very different issue. My response to that is that as long as the chicken meat is safe to eat I won't worry.

But 2 points - the scare tactic of talking about Chlorine, to make people subconsciously think when they open a packet they'll be enveloped in a cloud of poisonous Chlorine gas - the same people who don't worry about exposure to chlorine via Milton or at swimming pools.

Secondly - there is a lot of contamination at meat plants - chicken and otherwise. Chlorine washing addresses that as well as any short comings in hygiene. And I would suggest that hygiene might not be that great in processing food in other countries that already end up here.

I don't know if you remember it but a studies of Chicken portions in supermarkets recently suggest to me that chlorine washing for UK and EU produce might be a good thing.

E Coli:
Two thirds of fresh chickens in UK supermarkets

Antibiotic resistant E coli:
Quarter of chicken bought in 7 UK supermarket chains 'contains potentially deadly bacteria' - Mirror Online

Campylobacter:
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/one-in-five-uk-supermarket-chickens-is-contaminated-7642796.html

More extensive study from 2000:

https://www.food.gov.uk/sites/default/files/b180002finreport.pdf

Then there are Salmonella and Listeria.

blokesbloke

ROFL

UK Farming standards v Euro !!!!

Egg production
Swine flu
BSE
Foot and Mouth
Horsemeat
All UK Food scandals and there are more
All happened whilst we were in the EU, which suggests EU standards aren't as superior to US ones as is being implied here, which is backed up by the Euro-wide horsemeat scandal and the Dutch egg scandal.

All happened whilst we were in the EU, which suggests EU standards aren't as superior to US ones as is being implied here, which is backed up by the Euro-wide horsemeat scandal and the Dutch egg scandal.
EU Standards are enforced by UK Dept of Agriculture and it was as a result of their lack of standards that EU Regulations were tichtened up.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies