Any Bank Inquiry would inevitably find Cowen culpable!

iartaoiseach

Starting a business, running a business and succeeding in a business takes blood, sweat and tears. This is why Blueshirts go fo safe jobs in the public service and the Red to Pink follow them or spend their lives begging from the State. When you try to piss on a FF'er remember you are more likely dealing with a person full of guts and enterprise
Jaysus it's amazing that a fella who is expending so much in the way of blood sweat and tears has all this time to be on here constantly leaping to the defence of a gang of Fers who are.... wait for it ...working in those cushy public service jobs that apparently are populated by only blueshirts and pinkos. unless that is you don't count TDs as public servants(many of them ex teachers, social workers, etc etc.) then again I would hesitate to call most of them public servants either.

MPB

Starting a business, running a business and succeeding in a business takes blood, sweat and tears. This is why Blueshirts go fo safe jobs in the public service and the Red to Pink follow them or spend their lives begging from the State. When you try to piss on a FF'er remember you are more likely dealing with a person full of guts and enterprise

Don,t talk down to me you jumped up little toe rag. I know what it takes to build and make a successful business, that is why I have a couple of my own.

But unlike you I was not able to avail of connections to feed me money that nobody else was entitled too. Corrupt Banking practices might have been the way you and your friends build businesses but I did it with genuine hard work.

Last edited:

Cassandra Syndrome

Back in 1984 and 1985 I bought two businesses with 100% loans not too long after buying the family house. I was up to my eyeballs in debt as a result but like a true FF'er I worked hard and eventually succeeded to pay my way. Where the eff was the Mr Perfect Blueshirts when I was allowed to borrow so much ? You are first class hypocrites with not a hope in hell of pinning the bank stupidity on Cowen ? The more I come across clowns like you the more staunch FF I become !!
100% mortgages in Ireland in 1984? With who? The Mr Perfect Blueshirts were in power. They were and still are a complete disaster.

kerdasi amaq

If, Ireland is to have a future, our professional politicians will have to do something that doesn't come naturally, TELLING THE TRUTH, they must face up to their incompetence, their blundering and their mistakes, because if they don't, the Nation will nothing from this experience and will inevitably repeat it at some point in the future.

Otherwise, the example, of the greatest European statesman of the last century will have to be followed.

imokyrok

I'm a third of the way through The Banksters. The mistakes and corruption are well known.What more is there to learn?

Rocky

Not surprisingly the government have now given us a very weak banking inquiry that has no real remit to look at the government's role in the crisis. It will also only go up until 2008, leaving out the whole period before the government's guarantee, which seems to be from other evidence a very interesting time for the banks.

Statutory inquiry into banking crisis proposed - The Irish Times - Tue, Jan 19, 2010

Also not surprising to see all the usual FF posters try to drag this thread off topic. If you need any proof that this government is indefensible the inability of FFers to defend it gives you that.

goosebump

I'm a third of the way through The Banksters. The mistakes and corruption are well known.What more is there to learn?
It has nothing to do with learning anything.

imokyrok

It has nothing to do with learning anything.
It seems to be purely cosmetic. Having just finished The Banksters it would seem absolutely obvious that the government and regulators know precisely what went wrong and where. Pressure on the existing inquiries to bring the relevant players to the courts is required and instead we end up with an another inquiry undoubtedly designed to keep the public under control and giving FF more time to put distance between themselves and the mismanagement that brought the country to it's knees.

I would recommend the book to anyone who hasn't yet read it. I thought it would be impenetrable high finance but in fact it is a page turner which I read in a day and a half. David Murphy and Martina Devlin have done an excellent job of cataloging the series of events, characters, mistakes, greed and corruption that destroyed Ireland reputation around the world.

zuiderzee

Website
amhrannua.com
We need a full, public and open investigation into the banking crisis.
It also needs to be set up in a way that does not allow political interests to be catered to, and it must be limited in terms of time and cost - not to be milked by the leal eagles as the Tribunals have been.

Iceland has taken steps towards this with the appointment of Eva Joly, a Norwegian born French judge with an outstanding history investigating corruption by politicians and vested business interests.
Her work investigating corruption is impressive, taking on, among others, former minister Bernard Tapie and the bank Crédit Lyonnais.

Her most famous case was that of France’s leading oil company – Elf Aquitaine.
Despite death threats, she carried on the case to uncover several cases of fraud.

With that CV she seems ideally suited to investigatig the banks scandal,and perhaps the continuing Shell corruption in Ireland, in partcular, the links between Ray McSharry, Bertie Ahearn, Frank Fahy and the incredibly good arrangement that Shell got in Ireland.

We have seen the results of the Tribunals arranged by the Irish Government, little truth, little accountability, few prosecutions and all of this done in a protracted and costly manner.

Our systems are not working, so it is time to take a fresh approach - but will any Government have the courage of their convictions to actually really try to find the truth?

Victor Meldrew

Iceland has taken steps towards this with the appointment of Eva Joly, a Norwegian born French judge with an outstanding history investigating corruption by politicians and vested business interests.
Her work investigating corruption is impressive, taking on, among others, former minister Bernard Tapie and the bank Crédit Lyonnais.

Her most famous case was that of France’s leading oil company – Elf Aquitaine.
Despite death threats, she carried on the case to uncover several cases of fraud.
Link:
Iceland's investigator fixes frosty gaze on banking elite - The Irish Times - Thu, Jan 21, 2010

Interesting read.

Biffo failed at every turn to stop the madness of the banks and builders. worse still, FF effectivly turned the Irish government into the Corporate Affairs Dept. of the Irish banking industry.

He'll be ruined, as should the (collective accountability) FF cabinet.

However, there is another inescapable truth. Most senior Irish (and worldwide) Bankers are reckless morons. Seriously, they had all the facts and resources to know better, but they decided that, as one of them would lend X 7 times income on 100% mortgages, then they all should follow suit.

Anyone can make a banks loan book grow with other peoples money. It requires no talent, just the right (young) demographic profile.

Mushroom

Amusing to learn that Fianna Fáil's very own Comical Ali, the incredibly fertile Pee Jay Mara, informs us that: A banking inquiry would absolve Fianna Fáil of the blame for the financial crash and boost the party’s image ahead of elections.

"Mr Mara said Fianna Fáil could be the biggest party at the next general election and could actually benefit from a judicial-led inquiry into the financial meltdown. Former taoisigh Bertie Ahern and Brian Cowen should reveal all, he added."

Probably of more significance to the tumescent supreme lobbyist (and director of Denis O'Brien's Digicel), Mara also ""criticised Government proposals to regulate the lobbying of politicians, saying the plans are “bull************************” and “heavy-handed”.

PJ Mara: Banking inquiry would absolve Fianna Fáil of blame | Irish Examiner

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies